Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
EileenO

Weapon's Policy Thread 2012

Hello my name is Eileen Orquiza and I am the new Weapon's Policy Manager. I know that the creation is late compared to usual, however if you have any questions about your prop that you want to use at AX please do not hesitate and I will respond as promptly as possible.

Please note that there are some changes being made to the weapon's policy this year. I will post them as soon as they are finalize. Here are the general guidelines from last year and please abide by them:

DIMENSIONS FOR ALL WEAPONS:
1. Under 7 ft
2. Under 15 lbs
3. The ONLY place metal is allowed is in the handle (i.e. metal-handled lightsaber; except some swords)

GUNS:
1. Any an all projectile weapons CANNOT have been capable of shooting ANYthing and ANYtime, no matter what the current condition. These include, but certainly not limited to: AIRSOFTS, pellet guns, bb guns, rubberband guns, NERF guns, etc...
- The ONLY exception to this is for emptied waterguns.

FUTURISTIC GUNS:
1. If the silhouette looks like a futuristic gun, then it's all right.

REALISTIC GUNS
:
All realistic looking guns MUST follow the following criteria:
1. Cannot be a real gun
2. Must be PAINTED or DUCT TAPED approximately 50% of the following colors, either singlely or in some kind of pattern:
a. white b. bright red c. bright orange
d. bright yellow e. bright green f. bright blue
g. bright pink h. bright purple i. or transparent
3. By "realistic," I include the following: modern guns, antique guns, all-wood guns/rifles, steam-punky guns (depending on the color and amount of steam-punkery added), etc...

Examples of realisitc guns: Yoko Ritona's gun from Gurren Lagann.

Note: for those of you thinking "But..." or "It looks horrible" or "It doesn't go with my outfit," this is California Law (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12551.php). There's also additional information thanks to BryantQ ( http://www.anime-exp...89&#entry542189 )
For those of you saying "But they sell all black [insert gun] in the dealer's hall," the ones in the dealer's hall is for private use in a private setting. As long as you're on the convention center's grounds, either keep it in the box it came in, put it in bag check, in your car, or hotel.
And lastly, for those of saying "But [insert convention] doesn't have that kind of policy," we are not [insert convention] nor is [insert convention] us. Additionally, I would ask you to actually read the weapons policy of other conventions. You will see that we are more allow some things [insert convention] doesn't allow and vis versa.

SWORDS/BLADES
1. All swords must be BLUNT (i.e. not sharp). In otherwords, if I can open a letter with it, it's too sharp.
2. NO LIVE STEEL. AT ALL. "Live steel" is any metal sharpened to the point where it can cut.

METAL SWORDS/BLADES:
1. Must have a sheath.
________a. Sheath must have some kind of anchor (i.e. a hole) on both the sword and sheath that can allow for zipties to be tied from the sheath to the sword.
___________Example: Bleach character Urahara's sword Benihime: has no anchor on the sheath. Solution: Drill a hole (wide enough for a zip tie to pass through).
___________Example: Naruto Shippuden character Sasuke's sword: it has no anchor on the sheath AND sword. Unless you can find a way to drill holes in the sheath AND sword, just get the wooden one.
2. Swords cannot be taken out of sheath on convention grounds (except in some cases of Masquerade performers, etc...)
3. NO LIVE STEEL AT ALL!!

NON-METAL SWORDS/BLADES:
1. As long as it's not sharp, you're good to go.
These also apply to things like kunai, shuriken, knives, or any other sharp object.
The only thing that is completely banned that are (metal) throwing knives, which are illegal in Los Angeles

INCENDIARY DEVICES:
1. Cannot be metal
2. Must have safety colors
3. Preferably hollowed out (for items like dynamite sticks) and/or light

SPORTS EQUIPMENT:
1. Batsa. Any and ALL bats cannot be made of metal or wood
2. Golf clubsa. Cannot be made of metal or wood - bring plastic ones

KITCHEN EQUIPMENT:
1. Non-sharp equipment (example: wooden spoons, frying pans, etc...)a. Cannot be made of metal
2. Sharp equipment (example: knives, graters, etc...) a. They are not allowed.

NON POWER TOOLS:
1. Cannot be made of metal (preferably, because we use tools during the convention and that would just seem hypocritical) a. If we get a whisper of a words that someone is using non-power toolsin an irresponsible way (i.e. acting like a no0b) we can add them to thebanned list.

OTHER WEAPONS/STUFF:
1. Boomerangsa. Cannot be a real boomerang
2. Bow and/or arrows:a. Cannot be a real bow and/or arrowb. Arrow must have a blunt tipc. Bow must be unstrung or have low-tensile thread, string, etc...
3. Canesa. If it's a medical cane: nothing is neededb. All other types of canes: it cannot be metal
4. Chainsa. If the chain is metal, it must be 12 inches and under and no more than1 inch thick. b. If the chain is not metal, under a reasonable length so that it doesn'tpose a fire hazard or cause other people to trip (post questions aboutthis)
5. Flagpolesa. Cannot be metal
6. Staffsa. Cannot be metal

THINGS THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET PEACEBONDED ANYWAY EVEN IF YOU DON'T NEED IT (technically) SO YOU DON'T GET STOPPED:
1. Giant fans
2. Sword umbrellas
3. Kitchen equipment (minus a few restrictions; see above)
4. Sports equipment (minus a few restrictions; see above)
5. Musical instruments

THINGS THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO GET PEACEBONDED
1. Musical instruments
2. Sports equipments that do are not included in the sports equipment section

BANNED WEAPONS/STUFF:
1. Paddles (those used in corporal punishment): includes but certainly not limited to yaoi/yuri paddles
2. Airsofts
3. Any projectile weaponsa. Guns: only emptied waterguns are allowedb. Bows: cannot be strung or must use a low tensile-strength length ofsomething (like yarn)
4. Working weapons
5. Martial arts weapons used for martial arts purposes
a. This includes things like nunchucks, escrema sticks, etc...
6. Power tools
7. Signsa. signs with words (English, foreign, or otherwise) are banned includingbut not limited to solicitations (i.e. "Yaoi for $$$") or other general signs((i.e. "Rawr means I love you in dinosaur")
8. Costumes that may be confused with LOCAL law enforement or emergency personnel
9. Handcuffs when handcuffed to another person
10. Stilts
11. All-metal keyblades b/c it has metal other than the handle and no sheath

Last edited by EileenO : 04-11-2012 at 12:45 AM.
EileenO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
ElCapitan
Dictator

Are there any notable changes from last year? At first glance, it appears to be the same as before (which I consider a plus, consistency is good).

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AMē 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Last year i saw people dressed as Military Cosplay and they had Airsoft guns (PeaceBonded) but yet i always see the Weapons Policy for NO AIRSOFT GUNS....

back in 08 i brought a cosplay with Squirt guns - staff told me i could not have squirt guns... they did not have water in them and they were see through to show even if they did or not..

so i just don't cosplay for ax anymore. just attend as a regular person.
Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
W4RH0US3

Is my cosplay ok?
http://w4rh0us3.deviantart.com/galle...72928#/d411xk2
W4RH0US3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
meifl0wer
jusanocos.tumblr.com

Hi!

I hope this comment doesn't offend~ But I'm trying to see things from everyone's point of view while being realistic...

Alright, here goes~

I think the peace-bonding staff and the people who check for weapons in the convention need to be just as familiarized with these rules as the con attendees. In fact, I think they should be more familiar with these rules than anyone else.

My reasoning is pretty obvious: everyone involved with AX is trying to keep things safe, fun, and legal. But here's the problem: every year, without fail, there are people running around with peacebonded or non-peacebonded props that should not have passed inspection at all. And though they may not be hurting anyone or drawing attention to themselves, sometimes it just makes me feel bad. Because I follow these rules. And so do a lot of people. And it makes me kind of, um... not want to follow the rules. Because around me, I see that the rules are not being enforced, so I think "then why should I make my costume less accurate and more troublesome? Why should I go out of my way to follow these rules so much if I'm a responsible con attendee and the staff isn't diligent about it anyway?" I know this is bad, and says negative things about my character, but at the same time I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Not only that, but sometimes the lack of discipline of the weapons policy people and AX staff results in annoyances and danger- like when signs are left alone and loud, disruptive attendees are allowed to display signs that solicit really dumb things. Or when someone starts brandishing their weapon for play or for mock-fighting and their movements threaten the people walking by.

Anyway, here's my final point- last year I was feeling a little fed up and spiteful after I saw that many people were carrying around prop guns that were definitely not rule-abiding while I had switched my prop of choice to a wooden katana where a prop gun would have been preferable in order to comply with AX policy. Annoyed, I asked some nearby staff if the airsoft guns I saw were alright. Some nervously avoided answering me altogether because they were unsure, some gave me a positive answer and cited the orange tips of the guns as qualifiers. One male staff member by the entrance to the exhibit hall after getting off the elevator said that airsofts were fine and if I had one, I should take it to the peace bonding station. He gave me friendly directions on how to get there from where I was.

So um~ I know that it's impossible to get every single staff member informed. But uh... I think there's some room for improvement, that's all.

Sorry if I sound bitter or petty! I might be a little of both, it's true... but this really isn't an attack or anything! I just wanted to suggest this so that maybe AX2012 will be even better and safer~
meifl0wer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meifl0wer View Post
Hi!

I hope this comment doesn't offend~ But I'm trying to see things from everyone's point of view while being realistic...

Alright, here goes~

I think the peace-bonding staff and the people who check for weapons in the convention need to be just as familiarized with these rules as the con attendees. In fact, I think they should be more familiar with these rules than anyone else.

My reasoning is pretty obvious: everyone involved with AX is trying to keep things safe, fun, and legal. But here's the problem: every year, without fail, there are people running around with peacebonded or non-peacebonded props that should not have passed inspection at all. And though they may not be hurting anyone or drawing attention to themselves, sometimes it just makes me feel bad. Because I follow these rules. And so do a lot of people. And it makes me kind of, um... not want to follow the rules. Because around me, I see that the rules are not being enforced, so I think "then why should I make my costume less accurate and more troublesome? Why should I go out of my way to follow these rules so much if I'm a responsible con attendee and the staff isn't diligent about it anyway?" I know this is bad, and says negative things about my character, but at the same time I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Not only that, but sometimes the lack of discipline of the weapons policy people and AX staff results in annoyances and danger- like when signs are left alone and loud, disruptive attendees are allowed to display signs that solicit really dumb things. Or when someone starts brandishing their weapon for play or for mock-fighting and their movements threaten the people walking by.

Anyway, here's my final point- last year I was feeling a little fed up and spiteful after I saw that many people were carrying around prop guns that were definitely not rule-abiding while I had switched my prop of choice to a wooden katana where a prop gun would have been preferable in order to comply with AX policy. Annoyed, I asked some nearby staff if the airsoft guns I saw were alright. Some nervously avoided answering me altogether because they were unsure, some gave me a positive answer and cited the orange tips of the guns as qualifiers. One male staff member by the entrance to the exhibit hall after getting off the elevator said that airsofts were fine and if I had one, I should take it to the peace bonding station. He gave me friendly directions on how to get there from where I was.

So um~ I know that it's impossible to get every single staff member informed. But uh... I think there's some room for improvement, that's all.

Sorry if I sound bitter or petty! I might be a little of both, it's true... but this really isn't an attack or anything! I just wanted to suggest this so that maybe AX2012 will be even better and safer~
id like to add to this too. Last year at ax my friend wasn't allowed to bring his death the kid guns in since they were only 40% silver n orange tip. However, the next day we saw about 25 people who had less silver than he did n the orange tip with their weapons peacebonded. Needless to say he wa a little peeved. It needs to be that all weapons are peacebonded fairly, because he put time into those and thought they would work but the fact others got in with them made us sad.
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
EileenO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
Are there any notable changes from last year? At first glance, it appears to be the same as before (which I consider a plus, consistency is good).
There have been no notable changes so far. I will update this thread if there have been any changes made.
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
EileenO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicdedman View Post
Last year i saw people dressed as Military Cosplay and they had Airsoft guns (PeaceBonded) but yet i always see the Weapons Policy for NO AIRSOFT GUNS....

back in 08 i brought a cosplay with Squirt guns - staff told me i could not have squirt guns... they did not have water in them and they were see through to show even if they did or not..

so i just don't cosplay for ax anymore. just attend as a regular person.
The people who had peacebonded airsoft guns most likely had them done at another con. We will be cracking down on this.

I understand in 08 they did not allow it, but it is thanks to some policy changes made by Hannah that the attendees are now allowed to have squirt guns as long as there is not liquid inside.

I think it would be great if you can cosplay again and not let all these restrictions stop you.
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
EileenO

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RH0US3 View Post
I do not see a problem with the cosplay. Although depending on how the world news goes sometimes military cosplay can be banned. I have not heard anything about that happening at AX so I would say your costume it good to go. If I heard about any changes I will get to you as soon as possible.
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
EileenO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meifl0wer View Post
Hi!

Alright, here goes~

Thank you very much for this information. This is my first year as Manager of Weapon's Policy and I will do my best to enforce these rules. I find it unfair that attendees get away with this and the more responsible bunch who follow the guidelines get slapped in the face everytime they see it.
I plan to train my fellow staff and squad about these guidelines. Still thank you so much for being a responsible person and not causing trouble for the convention and other attendees. You may not hear our appreciation, but we are grateful to have attendees like you. Please keep up the great work.
Lastly if you see someone like that report them. We will do our part and make sure that they comply with the rules.
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
EileenO

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
id like to add to this too. Last year at ax my friend wasn't allowed to bring his death the kid guns in since they were only 40% silver n orange tip. However, the next day we saw about 25 people who had less silver than he did n the orange tip with their weapons peacebonded. Needless to say he wa a little peeved. It needs to be that all weapons are peacebonded fairly, because he put time into those and thought they would work but the fact others got in with them made us sad.
You are absolutely correct. There should be the same standard for everyone. Do not worry I will train my staff properly so that this does not happen again. Also know that there are props that were peacebonded at other conventions. People do not notice it, but anime expo uses a specific color every year. If it is not that color then the prop never went through inspection.
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Thank U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
kyoudai
Mahou Shounen

Guns built out of Lego bricks are good as long as they fit the color requirement, yeah?
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
dragunov23

I got a question. Is wood an acceptable material to bring when i bring it to the convention? (i plan to make my staff out of wood)
dragunov23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
EileenO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoudai View Post
Guns built out of Lego bricks are good as long as they fit the color requirement, yeah?
Yes Legos are fine. If you are making a realistic type gun then yes it will need to follow the color requirements.