Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
azhp

Dead Or Alive shoot

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to photography, I bought my first SLR quality camera in June and have only done two photoshoots so far. I got to shoot a DOA couple at AnimeiCon and I'd love some feedback on my pictures. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...39671&type= 1
azhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Great work overall, especially for someone with only half a year of experience. I'm gonna be a little brutal here because that's what you need to improve:

Be careful with your exposure and white balance. Relying on automatic modes will hold you back. For individual photos it's somewhat important, but when you're making a complete set, it becomes very important that you don't unintentionally have inconsistent exposure and white balance. Look at the thumbnails all together, see how the color and tone in the costumes and especially the skin aren't quite consistent within the entire set. You CAN make intentional variation, but make sure it's not accidental/unintentional variation because you're letting the camera guess the settings for you.

Careful with your framing. If necessary, force yourself to shoot looser, and do your final crop in post-processing. You're unnecessarily cutting off fingers and toes here and there, and it hurts the overall composition in some of them. Specific examples: Cutting off the hand and fingertips in the "Game Over" shot; cutting off the tip of Kokoro's toes in the shot where she throws Kasumi; shaving off the top of Kokoro's head in her "sultry pose"; cutting off the toes and ankles in "Get ready, fight!"

Learn about distance and perspective, and how it affects your shots. As a general rule, stand farther away unless you either have no more room to move, or you intentionally want perspective distortion. Here's a great read to help you get your head around it:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=672913

Careful with your horizons and verticals. I'm personally very picky about this. Don't accidentally tilt a photo, and don't intentionally tilt it unless you have a good, specific reason. (I rarely seem to get it right in camera, but I always fix it up in Lightroom).

Even if you have plenty of ambient light, a little bit of fill flash will brighten the eye sockets and give a sparkling catchlight in the eyes. If you only have the pop-up flash, go ahead and pop it up and just turn the power way down.

Great work with the specialty processing in the "Game over" and Kasumi's throw shots.

Can't wait to see what you're making a year or two from now.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

Some pretty decent shots for someone new!
I agree with nathan's comments and will add that yes shoot in manual when you can so you expose properly for the subject.
I would personally only show a full-body shot if the background/surrounding area fits the theme, otherwise shoot tight.
Keep up!
Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote