Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 10-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Trying to Find a Mask...

Greetings,

As the title says I'm trying to find a mask that I can use for a costume I'm working it. I can be two masks that I splice together, though I'd much rather it be one and save me some trouble.

I'm looking for a mask that has a slightly elongated head in the back, and preferably with a crease or two in the forehead (just for a little added realism), or something that helps it looks a little more "real" rather than just being flat and lifeless. I don't really care much about what the face looks like as I'm planning to cut off most of it and just leave the forehead down to around the eyes, and though the eyes will be covered by goggles, I'll be attaching the goggles to the mask. I would prefer that it did not have hair but if it does it isn't a big deal, I can always take it out (I'll be putting a wig over it anyway).

I'll be turning the mask into an alien from Star Wars, but I just need something to work off of. The species is called "Anomid". They have a slightly elongated head, like I mentioned above. I've linked some pictures below for reference.

Has anyone seen a mask similar to this? Obviously I wont find the exact mask I need, I just need something with a head that's slightly longer in the back, and a slightly creased or wrinkled forehead (though the latter isn't necessarily required, just preferred). It can be two different masks that I can cut up and attach together but I'd prefer that it just be one. I will be painting it up and adding new ears, hair and some other stuff, so it doesn't really matter what the mask looks like, save for the things I've already described.
It could be a vampire mask, an old man mask, a zombie mask, anything.

I was hoping I would have an easier time finding the right mask now that Halloween is drawing closer... But so far I haven't had any luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

-http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ll-GG11p13.png
-http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Anomidgg12.jpg
-http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Anomid_UAA.jpg

Last edited by Blue Leader : 10-02-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

If its for a 501st or rebel legion thing you are going to have to commission one for accuracy, but for just costuming, i'll check around, you will obviously have to repaint it right?

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentEvo View Post
If its for a 501st or rebel legion thing you are going to have to commission one for accuracy, but for just costuming, i'll check around, you will obviously have to repaint it right?
Yeah, I'll be painting it as well as modifying it.

It is for the Rebel Legion, but the species isn't that unusual looking, so I shouldn't have much of a problem getting it to look accurate. When it comes right own to it, they're just humans with pale violet skin, fin-like ears, two thumbs and a slightly elongated head. Once I find a mask (or masks) I can use, paint and fix up, making it look accurate should be fairly easy. This could all be done even without a mask, but I didn't want to bother with body paint.

I know I'll never find the perfect mask that looks just like the species, I'm just trying to find something with enough resemblance than I can work off of it and modify it to fit my needs.

Last edited by Blue Leader : 10-02-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Unread 10-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
MfWic
What the hell is MFWIC?

I'm having a hard time trying to picture a mask that would look like this. If I were trying to tackle this costume I would honestly use those craft foam sheets you get at Hobby Lobby or where ever and make my own head then use a paper clay or stone clay over it to give it life and ridges for the forehead. Thats just my two cents.
MfWic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfWic View Post
I'm having a hard time trying to picture a mask that would look like this. If I were trying to tackle this costume I would honestly use those craft foam sheets you get at Hobby Lobby or where ever and make my own head then use a paper clay or stone clay over it to give it life and ridges for the forehead. Thats just my two cents.
I've seen similar masks... just not lately. I saw a Dracula mask that would have worked just fine (after I removed the ears), but it was no longer available. Spirit had a mask that would have worked except it was a zombie and had pieces of "flesh" missing, which would have been a real pain to fill in (I'm not even sure how I would have been able to do it). I'll probably have to end up putting two masks together.

I really don't want to use any type of clay on it. That would make it look much too hard and not much like flesh. It would be a bit heavy, too. And I've used lots of clay the past few years... I'd rather like to take a break from it for a little bit. Heh.

Ah well. Guess I'll just keep looking.

Here's the Dracula mask I saw. It's a shame, it would've been almost perfect...
http://www.merlinsltd.com/WebRoot/St...ula_dark_m.JPG

Last edited by Blue Leader : 10-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.