Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
RidinIntoTheSun
Allen Walker

help? suggestions?

So I have the problem of constantly being sick. I am always sick. I mean 2-3 times per month and sometimes longer.
My metabolism doesn't like to work much either :\ and I keep trying so hard to eat healthy, be healthy, etc.
Another problem I have is whenever I make plans to go to the gym, my body magically decides to get seriously sick for the next week or two, preventing me to going to the gym.

I also have sleeping troubles too (constantly up and can't sleep) but I cannot take melatonin because a) it makes me forget who I am and b) refuses "to let go of me" in the morning so I can never wake up much..

I always go to my doctor (about 10+ times a month) and he's not very.. well.. he just doesn't do much for me (yeah I need to look for a new doctor, I know) but can I just have some pointers and explanations for all of this?

Thanks

p.s. feel free to PM me the answers, I rarely check my feeds due to college overload work <:\
RidinIntoTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Arti

First off I do like to know what you have been eating, since what's healthy to you might not necessarily be healthy to your overall health.

From my first impressions, you might not be getting enough Vitamin D, which is difficult anyways when we live in a sedentary lifestyle and not getting enough sum perhaps 6 months of the year. Vitamin D helps with immune function, meaning that your constant sickness may simply be an inefficient immune system. Also, this is why it's a bad idea to exercise while being sick because the immune system would also need to repair the Central Nervous System as well. Although the recommended 1000IU is fine, I usually take 4,000IU, even up to 10,000IU if I'm sick, and the systems only last for 3 days (or I just have a good immune system)

For sleep, make sure you're sleeping in a dark room free of any blue light (seems to be the main problem for me as my computer monitor lights, which are blue, tend to hinder my sleep). Also, if you tend to be on the computer monitor for long periods of time at night, I recommended getting f.lux, which simply regulates the white light (or "warmness") coming out of your monitor depending on the time of day, which mimics the sun. The decreased white light at night will help relax the eyes for a better sleep if you tend to be on the computer at nights. (Once I've downloaded that program, I had no trouble falling asleep since then)
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
RidinIntoTheSun
Allen Walker

Well recently, for the past month and a half, I've been eating peanut butter and jelly on english muffins or on whole wheat bread. I am a vegitarian by taste, not by choice so I don't really eat meat because of that <:\ I've been trying to get a lot of protein into my diet so I also eat light and fit vanilla yogurt. I've been eating some salads, and chicken noodle soup. Erm, last week my dad prepared me fresh flounder, I've been eating potatoes (mashed and non-mashed). I've been forcing myself to drink a litle bit of skim milk every night. (I don't like cream, or any milk at all, but if I have to have it, I'll drink skim)

Occasionally when I can't get breakfast before school, I have to quickly run to Dunkin Donuts (which I just get a medium iced coffee with a few pumps of 2 flavorings and just skim milk and a pb &j on an english muffin) or I run to my school cafeteria and get an egg and cheese on an english muffin.

I don't exercise a lot a) becuase I'm sick all the time and have no strength anymore b) i'm super busy c)I don't like to either d)I'll do it with a friend or family member rarely when I can because that'll motivate me a tiny bit, but no one is ever around

for sleeping issues: I do have a small light that changed colours from blue to green to purple and my room is very dark. Last night I didn't have the light on, but tried falling asleep to relaxing music, but I still kept waking up, regardless
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinIntoTheSun View Post
Well recently, for the past month and a half, I've been eating peanut butter and jelly on english muffins or on whole wheat bread. I am a vegitarian by taste, not by choice so I don't really eat meat because of that <:\ I've been trying to get a lot of protein into my diet so I also eat light and fit vanilla yogurt. I've been eating some salads, and chicken noodle soup. Erm, last week my dad prepared me fresh flounder, I've been eating potatoes (mashed and non-mashed). I've been forcing myself to drink a litle bit of skim milk every night. (I don't like cream, or any milk at all, but if I have to have it, I'll drink skim)

Occasionally when I can't get breakfast before school, I have to quickly run to Dunkin Donuts (which I just get a medium iced coffee with a few pumps of 2 flavorings and just skim milk and a pb &j on an english muffin) or I run to my school cafeteria and get an egg and cheese on an english muffin.

I don't exercise a lot a) becuase I'm sick all the time and have no strength anymore b) i'm super busy c)I don't like to either d)I'll do it with a friend or family member rarely when I can because that'll motivate me a tiny bit, but no one is ever around

for sleeping issues: I do have a small light that changed colours from blue to green to purple and my room is very dark. Last night I didn't have the light on, but tried falling asleep to relaxing music, but I still kept waking up, regardless
I think your lack of protein intake (or overall food intake) is affecting your sleep, as most of your proteins are mostly plant, egg, and dairy based. Skim milk also factors in the lacking amount because there is less protein (skim milk is <0.5% milk solids, while regular milk is 4%). If you want to test out, see if eating a chicken leg quarter for dinner helps with your sleep (or take the non-carnivoric route, have regular milk instead of skim, but the former will be more noticeable)

To get enough protein (without having to incorporate too much meat), the portions would have to be large enough so your body has the nutrients needed to repair while you sleep. If you tend to wake up at odd times it may be your body lacking the protein required for recovery. The lack of exercise could snowball this because your appetite may be lowered. That being said:

It feels that you're not motivated enough to exercise. Even if you have a tiny window available when not sick, you can spend 30 minutes or so exercising. The goal is to use that time efficiently, and the best ways to get your exercise in within that 30 minutes is through resistance training rather than doing cardio. Exercise should be more of a lifestyle change than an opportunistic thing. It's like buying a gym set and not ever using it.

Lastly, I do recommend some supplemental vitamin D (which you're lacking among the foods that you eat), which will help keep you sick less often. You shouldn't pay more than $5.00 for a 1000IU bottle with 100 capsules.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
FoxyNinja398
Newbie Cosplayer

If you need to up your protein and vitamin intake, try making a protein shake at some point during the day. I like to make mine with spinach, orange juice, whey protein powder, kefir and some frozen fruit. I use my Ninja sytem to make it into a smoothie (the frozen fruit gives it the texture and the kefir the smoothness). I do these whenever I don't feel like eating much in the mornings and they taste great and are full of good stuff.

Make sure you are taking in enough calories as well as proper nutrition. A good rule of thumb is your body-weight multiplied by 7 if you are trying to lose weight (I'm not sure what your goals are at this point, but ask a doctor that you trust what they would recommend). Balance is the key here.

Also, don't bother with the Melatonin. The purpose of Melatonin is to fake your body into thinking it's nighttime and thus time to sleep instead of actually promoting the sleep-cycle itself. As a chronic insomniac myself, I know who horrible it is to not be able to sleep regardless of what you do.

Good luck and hopefully you can get feeling better soon.
*Sakura (TRC- White December artbook version)
*Miku (Vocaloid)
*Archer/Gilgamesh (Fate/Zero)
*Alter Saber (Fate/stay night)
FoxyNinja398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
RidinIntoTheSun
Allen Walker

thanks guys
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Changing your diet from regular human omnivore to a vegetarian or vegan requires serious research and even consulting a health expert. It's not so simple as deciding not to eat meat and replacing it with peanut butter. The difference in amount of peanut butter you'd have to eat just to replace the required amount of protein you should have everyday is pretty big. If you're serious about going vegetarian, you should probably also be taking vitamins to supplement what you're not getting because you don't eat meat. If your symptoms started after changing your diet, it's pretty obvious what the culprit is.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote