Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
KylieB

Question Cosplay and the Body

I'm 19 years old, about 5ft 6in tall and 175ib. I've never felt bad about my weight before. I know I'm not skinny, but I'm not overly big either, and I've stayed at this weight for couple years now, not gaining nor losing. I do however, have diagnosed depression, anxiety disorder, and ADHD. And after getting into cosplay for the first time, I've felt lower about my body image than I ever have in my entire life which in turn has made my depression worsen to the point where my parent's are thinking they'll have to take me to the hospital. (Last night I was hysterical.) My weight's jumping all over the place, down and up and back again now. It's been an extremely difficult process trying to eat better when I'm either gorging or too out of it to eat at all. I don't exercise regularly-it's the most difficult thing ever when I don't feel motivated enough to even pull on a jacket when I'm freezing.

I guess what I'm asking you to do isn't to tell me I'm skinny or that's not a bad weight. I want tips from people who've either gone through having a mental disorder and how they've dealt with it. How they've made themselves get up and go. I want to be healthier since I do believe it plays a rather large role in my mental stability. If I eat better, I have less breakdowns I believe. I DO NOT want to hear about how if I constantly exercised and ate better I'd be 100% mentally since I've dealt with psychs and doctors alike telling me it'll only lessen the impact not get rid of it. My head isn't something a random person can diagnose, so don't try to. Please respect this. Also, please respect that I'm not at the peek of mental perfection at the moment, think twice on your words. Thank you dearly to anyone in advance.
KylieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Where motivation is concerned, I generally find I'm better at exercising in class settings, since I can't put it off or be lazy and decide to go later, and it tends to be a lot more enjoyable (I HATE gyms. I spend the entire time half-assing it and bored to tears if I'm at one). Something where it's a set time and if you don't go then you waste your money may help there with exercising more regularly, or someone to essentially make you get up and go like a friend to exercise with. Or, if you have the money, a personal trainer with set appointments .
At any rate, after you take that step and start exercising more, it might really, really help your depression. Numerous studies have proven that exercise can lessen symptoms of depression through the endorphins it creates, and when you've got something to focus on. That isn't sad thoughts it can certainly help from going into a spiral of sorts. Maybe not enough to need no medication (and that does beg the question, are you using any medication to treat anything? If not, you might need it if it's getting that bad, and if yes, check if weight fluctuation is a side effect or try and think if your symptoms have worsened instead of improved), but it's still an indisputable benefit. I wouldn't just knock it outright and say "No, I won't be better" because it'll still help even if not hugely, and will get you into better physical health too. Which as you said, will probably help out your mentality and your body image. For the record, I don't have mental illness, but I do have an autism spectrum disorder- motivation/initiative can be a very, very hard thing to come by for me sometimes.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
KylieB

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Where motivation is concerned, I generally find I'm better at exercising in class settings, since I can't put it off or be lazy and decide to go later, and it tends to be a lot more enjoyable (I HATE gyms. I spend the entire time half-assing it and bored to tears if I'm at one). Something where it's a set time and if you don't go then you waste your money may help there with exercising more regularly, or someone to essentially make you get up and go like a friend to exercise with. Or, if you have the money, a personal trainer with set appointments .
At any rate, after you take that step and start exercising more, it might really, really help your depression. Numerous studies have proven that exercise can lessen symptoms of depression through the endorphins it creates, and when you've got something to focus on. That isn't sad thoughts it can certainly help from going into a spiral of sorts. Maybe not enough to need no medication (and that does beg the question, are you using any medication to treat anything? If not, you might need it if it's getting that bad, and if yes, check if weight fluctuation is a side effect or try and think if your symptoms have worsened instead of improved), but it's still an indisputable benefit. I wouldn't just knock it outright and say "No, I won't be better" because it'll still help even if not hugely, and will get you into better physical health too. Which as you said, will probably help out your mentality and your body image. For the record, I don't have mental illness, but I do have an autism spectrum disorder- motivation/initiative can be a very, very hard thing to come by for me sometimes.
Firstly, thank you so much for your response! Answering your question, I was just put back on medication but I've yet to find a type that doesn't increase suicidal thoughts after a couple months or so- so it's been a bit trying. That could also be why I'm so emotional at this point is from the amount of chemicals in my body after all these random pills... I definitely agree about gyms, I hate them so much. I feel extremely judged when I'm there and I absolutely hate it. I'm definitely going to do a set time for exercise, that'll definitely help. No money for a personal trainer, but it is a really nice thought actually...I'm going to check online for some training vids , maybe those will help? I don't know, but thanks for all of these ideas! What you said about the healthier lifestyle improving my mental state might just be my motivation. I keep trying to get some from pictures of people but it's only downing myself but just thinking about being able to enjoy living might keep me pretty motivated. I'm just so tired of all of my emotions and not being able to like myself as much as I do others. I don't even know if I'm making sense right now, I'm starting meds again and I'm extremely tired I'm so sorry if I sound a bit weird. I'm happy you're able to find motivation as well, autism is a terrible thing to have (I don't know much about it "scientifically" but my friend's brother has it and from the way his school treated him...) You probably know more about what I'm feeling than most this site really. Thank you again!
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Arti

I just care to wonder, what have you been eating before you were put on meds? A lot of the mood swings do relate to diet.

A high-carb diet tends to lack essential fatty acids needed to keep cognitive function to work properly.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Kiraookami

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieB View Post
Firstly, thank you so much for your response! Answering your question, I was just put back on medication but I've yet to find a type that doesn't increase suicidal thoughts after a couple months or so- so it's been a bit trying. That could also be why I'm so emotional at this point is from the amount of chemicals in my body after all these random pills... I definitely agree about gyms, I hate them so much. I feel extremely judged when I'm there and I absolutely hate it. I'm definitely going to do a set time for exercise, that'll definitely help. No money for a personal trainer, but it is a really nice thought actually...I'm going to check online for some training vids , maybe those will help? I don't know, but thanks for all of these ideas! What you said about the healthier lifestyle improving my mental state might just be my motivation. I keep trying to get some from pictures of people but it's only downing myself but just thinking about being able to enjoy living might keep me pretty motivated. I'm just so tired of all of my emotions and not being able to like myself as much as I do others. I don't even know if I'm making sense right now, I'm starting meds again and I'm extremely tired I'm so sorry if I sound a bit weird. I'm happy you're able to find motivation as well, autism is a terrible thing to have (I don't know much about it "scientifically" but my friend's brother has it and from the way his school treated him...) You probably know more about what I'm feeling than most this site really. Thank you again!
You said that they always tend to make you have more suicidal thoughts... I have bipolar disorder, depression, high anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Generally as my doctor told me the reason that anti depressants cause suicidal thoughts is because there is an underlying disorder like bipolar or whatever. You should ask about a mood stabilizer they help control your moods and then when you start taking the antidepressant it makes well I know it does for me, it makes the suicidal thoughts go away and stay away. Oh jeez I normally don't open up like this on the internet.... But I really know how you feel. I've been struggling ever since my freshman year of high school, up and down weights. I didn't even get on medication till my junior year, and I'm constantly on and off of them because I forget to take them. It's not that I'm not motivated to get healthier it's just when I have no motivation to work out. I took a Tae Kwon Do class and I dropped weight and I felt a lot better about myself it really helped. The constant routine and having a schedule that I couldn't just blow off. Or not go because I didn't feel like it because I was paying for it. Now I'm stuck back in a rut as I am now in college.
Kiraookami is offline   Reply With Quote