Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
bean93
Can I touch your haaaand?

Cool Would fabric painting this be the best option?

So I'm trying to make this shirt:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0...dant_super.jpg
And I'm having the most difficult time finding 3 button down shirts (well 4 if you include black) to frankenstein together. They'd have to be the same brand and size, so I could just cut it up and sew it back together but... I'm having tons of trouble finding that. So if you can help me with that, I'd appreciate it :3

But if it turns out I can't find them...

...what if I got a white button down and just PAINTED IT ALL.
*dies*

But I'm not sure if that'll be "realistic" enough, or if the paint will not paint evenly and splotch, or if it'll start cracking. Since I really will have to be painting ALOOOT! Sleeves and front and absolutely EVERYTHING.

I asked about commissions but I got quotes of 300 - 400 dollars :l

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks~!
bean93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

You could paint it or apply a dye by brush, but the results won't be ideal no matter what kind of paint you use. Flowable paints like Dye-Na-Flow are much easier to do larger areas with and will preserve most of the feel and drape of the fabric, but they're extremely difficult to apply evenly. Opaque paints like DecoArt SoSoft are easy to apply evenly, but they will stiffen the hell out of the fabric.

Honestly, if you know enough about sewing to frankenstein 3 or 4 shirts together in the first place, you may as well just sew the whole thing. Just get a simple shirt pattern and divide the front (and back?) body panels with horizontal lines so you can split them apart. You can then cut those sections from different fabrics that are the same type but different colors. It's easy to get cotton solids in the quilting section at Joann in a bunch of different colors.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
bean93

Hmmm I see! Thanks for your reply.

I've never patterned anything before, what if I bought a cheap button down that fits, cut it up into parts and then use that as a pattern... or would that not work at all?

And does fabric paint get more "loosened up" maybe after you wash it? Or I heard people iron them...
Unread 10-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Aria Overload
Aria

Yes thats probably the best option for you. Buy a shirt that fits you and stitch rip the shit out of it until you have the parts to assemble. This way you can sew them all back together and now you have a pattern for your fabric to sew with. remember, with shirts like these add a seem allowance or else you end up losing a couple of inches around it all and you're wondering why the heck it doesnt fit when the pattern you used did.
Best of luck Im sure you'll do great.
Sheik - Legend of Zelda
Aria Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean93 View Post
I've never patterned anything before, what if I bought a cheap button down that fits, cut it up into parts and then use that as a pattern... or would that not work at all?
Yes, that would definitely work, lots of people make patterns like that. Or you could buy a commercial pattern by Simplicity and alter that.

Quote:
And does fabric paint get more "loosened up" maybe after you wash it? Or I heard people iron them...
Ironing is a way of heat-setting the paint so that it's permanent. It doesn't necessarily make it less stiff. Even if the opaque, controllable paints did become softer after washing, though, it will never really be "soft". They permanently change the feel of the fabric and the fabric will be stiffer than it would be unpainted.

Only flowable, watercolor-like paints will give little to no texture change, but again, they're hard to apply evenly. And if you want crisp edges, you need to apply resists or a flow inhibitor. And flowable paints give best results when you apply them to wet fabric, which introduces a whole other set of logistic things to work around.

Unread 10-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
bean93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
Yes, that would definitely work, lots of people make patterns like that. Or you could buy a commercial pattern by Simplicity and alter that.
I went to simplicity and found this http://www.simplicity.com/p-5247-mis...te-shirts.aspx the pattern on the bottom that says VIEW B seems perfect for what I need... but what does that mean exactly? The one the model is wearing isn't the one I want, it's the one on the bottom but it doesn't seem to let me choose that option...
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

When a pattern says "view A", "view B", etc, it means that there are multiple ways of making that garment. Those versions are all included in the single pattern. You buy one pattern and get all the variations included with it.

The instructions will tell you which pattern pieces to cut depending on which version of the shirt you want to make.

Unread 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Penlowe

Quote:
Yes thats probably the best option for you. Buy a shirt that fits you and stitch rip the shit out of it until you have the parts to assemble.
I disagree with this for a couple reasons.
1. Patterns are often cheaper than ready made garments. Between coupons, sales & Walmart 'everyday' sale type things, most new patterns are not more than about $6 on average. A new shirt that cheap is going to be so poorly made it won't be worth trying to work out the pattern.
2. Commercially made garments aren't always constructed in a way that is easy for the home sewist to replicate. Sewing patterns are designed for one-of type construction. It's a huge difference.
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

FYI: There's a stickied tutorial at the top of the Fabric Help section here that is all about how to use patterns. This may help you!

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote