Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Cosplaying younger characters

So, here's a thread to talk about this which is something most people talk about: Do you think there's any issue when it comes to cosplaying a character who is younger than you?

In my case I'm 27 and currently working on cosplaying a character who is 14, and probably planning on cosplaying characters who are younger or at least who look younger, like Haku from Spirited Away for instance. My obstacle could be my future physical appearance since I look younger than I am so it could be OK at the moment, but I've been seriously thinking on what could happen if my face becomes totally formed and most cosplays could probably not look good on me.

In the other hand I see people saying that a 30 year old person should not cosplay younger characters like Sakura Kinomoto for instance, but I guess that depends if you look younger or if you can fix enough every detail that can make you look your age, like a makeup for instance.

Do you have similar issues or at least have ever thought about them?

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 09-26-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

i think it ok, as long as you don't look to out of place in the clothes. lucky for me im shorter than most guys my age and i look young so i can pull of younger characters. but there is allways cosplaying as an older version of that character.
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

I'm currently facing this issue as I'm turning 30 years old at the end of this year and I'm thinking of making this the first and last time to cosplay as a teenage character.

So far, my cosplays plans for next year will be characters around or older than my age.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Well I personally never think of this issue. I think it's because I look younger than I actually am that I'll be able to cosplay characters younger than me for a long time to come. Probably, when I'm much older I'll start shifting to characters more my age.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I look young, so I think I can get away with cosplaying characters who are much younger then me. ( I often get confused for being as young as 16, when I'm more into my 20's) I keep telling myself as I get older I should stop cosplaying teenage characters, but I guess I'll keep going until I can't get away with it anymore.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
CorporatePuppet

I cosplay young character rall the time or characters that are considered ' cute' as I think that they are the only character that I CAN cosplay right at this moment ^-^; I don't really think I'm suited to older characters but then again I haven't even tried yet. I guess if you can pull it off you can do it. I'm sorta short and when I go to con's most people are in super tall boot so that makes me even shorter and also my physical appearance is on the chubby chibi side right now~.~ A way that helps me is to bind or wear a lot of sports bra's for those female young characters who lack a chest.

regarding younger characters, I saw this Honey senpai Cosplayer bout' 2 years ago and he like he was in is late 20's or so and I thpugh it was fine.

So I think it’s fine with cosplaying younger's characters.

Last edited by CorporatePuppet : 09-26-2012 at 11:07 PM.
CorporatePuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
So, here's a thread to talk about this which is something most people talk about: Do you think there's any issue when it comes to cosplaying a character who is younger than you?
Nope, and I doubt most cosplayers can accurately guess other's ages. I have cosplayed characters ranging in age from 12 to 35 and have only had 1 Indonesian troll on DA give me a negative comment in Engrish, which made me laugh too hard to bother me. As with everything, go big or go home: cosplay who you want and do it with style and class or don't bother at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
In the other hand I see people saying that a 30 year old person should not cosplay younger characters like Sakura Kinomoto for instance, but I guess that depends if you look younger or if you can fix enough every detail that can make you look your age, like a makeup for instance.
Where are these people? Come at me bro[s] and hoe[s]!

I always find it hilarious when some individuals think it is time to roll up the carpets, lock all the doors, and shut yourself away for lonely retirement once you leave your 20's. The late 20's and 30's are usually when people find stability in their lives. What better time to pick up hobbies and diverse interests that you can actually fund yourself without asking permission!

Age is just a number and how you are perceived is all in how you carry yourself and act. Physical attributes are rather secondary as there is a lot you can do with makeup in terms of making yourself appear younger and older too so why not cosplay who you want and use those tools?

Also, it can of course become a fun parody like Grandma Rikku. Mad props to that lady getting out and cosplaying in great spirits. So, you see, age is just a number when it comes to cosplay.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I'm 25 and cosplayed characters like Ciel and Alois who are 13. I do look a lot younger than I am, though. But screw those people who say people over 30 can't cosplay younger characters. Cosplay any character you want.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Like most people who've posted, I look younger than I actually am. Because of that, age doesn't really effect my choice of character. The truth is, though, even if I did look my age, I wouldn't let it get in my way because I frankly don't care. I DO WHAT I WANT. Though that's mostly because age of the character and my own age are things I absolutely never take into account. I really don't know why - it just never occurs to me. Then again, I'm the type of person that doesn't keep track of her age and only knows it because the people around her know it. There's a reason I always have to think every time someone asks me how old I am, and it's not because I'm trying to be coy. ^^;
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
lucky for me im shorter than most guys my age and i look young so i can pull of younger characters.
This actually the number 1 reason I choose to cosplay Sora (Kingdom Hearts II Version) because I am the same height as he is suppose to be....
Also, along with the OP, saying they are 27 cosplaying a character age 14, I am 25 cosplaying a character (Sora) age 15..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Akaito (Vocaloid [Maybe])
-Link (Zelda OOT [Maybe])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

I'm 26 and I cosplay whatever I want to. It doesn't matter if a character is a teenager, 20 something, 30 something or even a little kid. Go for it!

Last edited by RydiaValentine : 09-27-2012 at 05:11 AM.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Is it just me, or do people who cosplay just generally look younger then what they really are? ... .... I think we may have found the secret to looking young longer. XD
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
Is it just me, or do people who cosplay just generally look younger then what they really are? ... .... I think we may have found the secret to looking young longer. XD
I agree. xD

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
Huh, sorry to break your bubble, but I'm 17 and often get mistaken for someone in their 20s. xD
Probably because of my height though.

Uh yeah, back to the topic:
I also cosplay younger characters around the age of 13-16, no problem.
People can do what they want, but I think the right make up to make you look like the character is sort of important.^^
In progress:
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Rin Matsuoka - 75%|
| Yuu Kashima - 70%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Kanno
Lost In Translation

For me the issue isn't about so much about looks as characterization. I think with good makeup skills, most people can look as young (or old) as they want. But acting that age, eh. Personally I find that it's fine if the character has a mature personality, but when it comes to the more childlike characters I feel very uncomfortable just thinking about me portraying that character. I guess it's more a personality thing than an age thing.
Kanno is offline   Reply With Quote