Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Drackt
Loves guyliner. Too much.

When you can't get out to conventions or photoshoots

I have been having the worst luck for a while now.

Last year, I lost my job unfairly and it's been a nightmare trying to find a new one. Even if by now I'm trying to get out there by doing things I really want (Which would be acting), I'm still disappointed that in many cases I cannot go out and meet people because of my financial situation. I know I'm not alone in this, but what do I do until I'm finally able to get out there again?

Completed cosplays (from last fall to now)-
Rumpelstiltskin-Red/Black outfit...always in progress (Once Upon A Time)
Rumpelstiltskin-Alchemist outfit (Once Upon A Time)
Rapunzel

In Progress-
Cinderella
Vampire Girl (Original)

Planned-
Too much, but I've had to put it on hold due to reasons beyond my control. However, I'm attempting to recreate Leezar's wardrobe from "Your Highness"...one down, four to go.
Drackt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
usuyukisou

Focus on the essentials: rent, food, and your one true love.

After you've paid for the first two... As for the latter, well, I'm not sure where Hainesville is, but Chicago is big on improv. iO (improvOlympic) and Second City both have their main theatres there, and having either is a huge improvement to your resume. Name brands aren't everything, but CDs definitely like seeing the big 4 improv schools.
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Drackt
Loves guyliner. Too much.

Sadly, it's about 2 hours away from Chicago. I've been considering moving there but of course, that'll have to wait until I get a job....even though I've been thinking New York might be a better fit. There IS an improv course closer to home, but I can't afford that now, either.

But to go on topic, I'm just upset because I really do want to get out there, but I'm stuck. Hardly anyone in my family understands why I do these things, and I don't know many people despite living here for seven years... I just feel lonely and when I don't know of any others near by who share the same interests, I get worried. I've suffered through depression long enough and I want to end the cycle...but I can't do it alone.

Completed cosplays (from last fall to now)-
Rumpelstiltskin-Red/Black outfit...always in progress (Once Upon A Time)
Rumpelstiltskin-Alchemist outfit (Once Upon A Time)
Rapunzel

In Progress-
Cinderella
Vampire Girl (Original)

Planned-
Too much, but I've had to put it on hold due to reasons beyond my control. However, I'm attempting to recreate Leezar's wardrobe from "Your Highness"...one down, four to go.
Drackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I agree on what usuyukisou said. Those things are much more important then a con or event. But I'm in the same basic boat as you. I have no job/income..Well, I do commissions, but that's nowhere near enough..I have a hard time saving up for conventions..In fact, I barely had enough at the last con, which sucked..I wish you luck in your job hunt though as I know what it's like..Fortunately, I have my brother that will gladly loan money and get paid back whenever I can (obviously if I need living expenses before paying him back, I can do that then give him the extra). But I know not everyone is in that kind of family.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Paarthurnax
Bubblegum Milkshake

Yeah, concentrate on the main necessities of life and save up for any future cons? I have no money and have to miss out on a big London con while my friend is bragging how loaded his parents are and how fabulous it is going to be >.<. Good luck in the hunt for a job! I know those feelings. Keep going and you will be able to meet those people soon =)
Paarthurnax is offline   Reply With Quote