Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Zoeyromanov
Bucky take the wheel

Thomas Arclight wig help

Image reference ---> http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...s/5/5d/IV2.jpg

I was browsing the interwebs for a wig to use when I cosplay as Thomas Arclight and I found these 3 options:

Theres this wig #1:
http://www.dhgate.com/yugioh-cosplay...4135b7299.html

Nicely spiked, and the perfect wig (seems like), but its really expensive but I do get free shipping.

Wig #2:

http://www.procosplay.com/products/1...line-sale.aspx
I think its basically the same wig but its not styled like it should be, but if I were to order from here I could spike it myself. I think ive read some people who have ordered from here and they liked it. Though I may cofused with another site. Its less expensive but still is but this wig I also get free shipping.

And wig # 3:

http://matchwigs.com/137-doreen-v-sh...g-cosplay.html

Honestly, I was not expecting to see a yellow/red wig from here. I browsed through the Reviews section of the site to see other wig sites (of course with a positive review) and I checked out Matchwigs and they have really nice wigs in their gallery. And when I stumbled upon this particular wig I fangirled so hard XD. I am ok with buying from here because I get free shipping (again) and its a very decent price but most importantly others have bought from Matchwigs and they were really happy with what they got from there.
But the only problem I have is that Thomas has a long piece of hair from the right side of his face I believe and I could buy extensions for that part, but the extension may not match the wig.

Suggestions?

Sailor Venus, Sailor Moon [In progress]

Winter 2014
Elsa, Frozen [In progress]

Halloween 2014
Black Widow (escape with Steve ver.), Captain America 2 [Finished]

Planning
Elsa (coronation dress), Frozen
Jack Frost, RoTG

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 10-08-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

to me i wouldnt trust options 1 or 2, just dont seem super reliable, plus even if it looks fully styled in the picture odds are it wont b once its been shipped in the mail. if ur going to have to respike it, id prob just sew in the extensions myself since not all wigs can just be spiked up. id look into arda or epiccosplay for a spikable wig
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Zoeyromanov
Bucky take the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
to me i wouldnt trust options 1 or 2, just dont seem super reliable, plus even if it looks fully styled in the picture odds are it wont b once its been shipped in the mail. if ur going to have to respike it, id prob just sew in the extensions myself since not all wigs can just be spiked up. id look into arda or epiccosplay for a spikable wig
Well I see what you see mean when you say that it looks styled in the photo it wouldnt come exactly how it should look when I receive my wig; but in this case im using a base wig. I checked Arda and they do have multicolored wigs but not in the style I need; or vice versa. I also checked out epiccosplay as well and they only have one multicolored wig, again not the one I need. I could order two wigs and splice them together if thats what you meant but im not that experienced yet. I probably wouldnt have gone with either 1 or 2 mostly because theyre expensive. Id pay good money for a wig but not that much. But if I went if #3 Id probably buy the extensions from Arda .

Edit:
Oh I just thought of something! Could I add the extensions I would buy to the wig in the more maroon/burghandy (sp?)/dark red color to make it more color accurate? I was wondering this because the wig in option #3 is actually more red intead of dark red like his hair.

Winter 2014

Halloween 2014

Planning
Jack Frost, RoTG

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 10-09-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
novaraven1

your ref image has a side part and only yellow on the left side of his head. none of the wigs you referenced have that. If I were you I'd be buying a burgandy wig from arda or epic, whichever has a red you prefer, and adding the yellow extensions where they are needed for the bangs. Style and spike it yourself since you'll have to do that anyways no matter where you order it from. Nothing comes perfectly styled unless you go to a commissioner. Trying to save money at match wigs will probably leave you with something terribly innacurate, but if you're ok with that then go for saving money and just buy the one you like the best.

Also, the five wits has a two toned gold and red wig if you want to look at another one.

Most of the gold and red wigs you will find are made for the main character from Star Driver. Try doing an ebay search for that and you'll find more options.
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Zoeyromanov
Bucky take the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1 View Post
your ref image has a side part and only yellow on the left side of his head. none of the wigs you referenced have that. If I were you I'd be buying a burgandy wig from arda or epic, whichever has a red you prefer, and adding the yellow extensions where they are needed for the bangs. Style and spike it yourself since you'll have to do that anyways no matter where you order it from. Nothing comes perfectly styled unless you go to a commissioner. Trying to save money at match wigs will probably leave you with something terribly innacurate, but if you're ok with that then go for saving money and just buy the one you like the best.

Also, the five wits has a two toned gold and red wig if you want to look at another one.

Most of the gold and red wigs you will find are made for the main character from Star Driver. Try doing an ebay search for that and you'll find more options.
No the wigs I referenced have the left yellow (not blonde but whatever) bangs to the side and the rest of his maroonish red hair is the rest. Yeah I know the ref image is cut off but it was the best I could find because other pics I still couldnt see his hair or his hair was off. Anyways but ok I could try that. I see I buy a maroon red wig from Arda. Now that you mention Arda I could buy yellow bangs from there too since they have that and spike those...yeah heard of him, and they do have similar hair but the main character from SD has red not maroon hair. When I mentioned matchwigs I wasnt going to buy that wig just because it was less expensive; it was because other people from here have bought from them too and they were happy with what they got so they're ok to buy from.

Winter 2014

Halloween 2014

Planning
Jack Frost, RoTG

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 10-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
novaraven1

I have heard people getting good quality from match wigs, but good quality to me is relative to what you need it for. They are based in China and their stock is very random so I don't trust them myself, they also seem much thinner than arda wigs. I also prefer wigs with a full latex skin top not just the button cap at the crown, it allows me to do a side part more easily and for it to look more natural close up. match wigs has nothing with a full skintop so I dont even look at their site anymore.

For another way to do it, if I were doing this wig for myself, I would probably get a yellow wig with a skin top and a burgandy wig to splice into the back half. And if I needed to I'd hand colour any parts of the yellow in the right side of the bangs to match the burgandy instead of trying to sew in wefts ontop of the skintop. You could actually just dye the back half of the wig burgandy too over the yellow but i find dying or airbrushing wigs can leave you with issues when the pigment decides to flake off or rub off on things and the costume is a light colour so i wouldnt chance it and keep dying to a minimum.
Arda wigs sells some full skintop wigs, but newlook brand and sepia brand from cosplaysupplies.com and amphigory also have them. They're kankelon, but with a short spiked wig it won't matter since everything needs to be hairsprayed into the spikes and not move anyways. more expensive heat resistant wigs are only needed if you want to straighten or curl a longer wig, flip up ends, or keep a very long wig from tangling as badly as regular kankelon would. You can save a bit of money and make it look more realistic by using a kankelon newlook wig as a base. And the full latex skintop feature lets you side part without sewing in extra wefts to hide it.

It might be more work than you're willing to put in. I don't know how often you plan on wearing your cosplay or if a prestyled whatever you find already made one will do just fine for you.

Last edited by novaraven1 : 10-09-2012 at 05:19 PM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Zoeyromanov
Bucky take the wheel

Now that I think of it I could buy a burgundy punky-style like wig; like the Scruffy wig from cosplay.com (I actually have that wig but in Teal Mix) from Epic since theirs is the color that I need, and it looks the same except the Scruffy from here has more lift and buy yellow bangs from Arda and put them on to the side like how it looks on him and spike them. Or buy yellow extensions from them and cut them to look like bangs. Since he doesn't really have bangs anyway, basically the whole thing would be spiked. Hopefully that would work...I think maybe it would.
I always prefer pre-styled, but of course I wouldn't mind putting in the work to make my wig look good.
I'm planning to wear my cosplay for the whole time i'm at the con .
Also, I see what you mean about the little tips about the wigs from matchwigs and wigs from other sites are good to know for future reference.

Winter 2014

Halloween 2014

Planning
Jack Frost, RoTG

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 10-10-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
novaraven1

Yeah, there's really no one way to do a wig, there's just choosing the way that you feel comfortable using and finding the best product that will get you the results you want.

I think you will do great with an arda base wig and extensions. Their fiber texture is rougher than epics and is meant more for spiking. I have spiked epic wigs before, but they take more work since the fiber is softer/silkier and meant to prevent tangling. Ardas wigs were definitely for spiking and back combing, several of their styles are specifically meant for that and they only recently started carrying the longer styles for variety.

This is a site that has some colour ring info that might help you compare/choose your burgundy.

http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/s...el/Arda%20Wigs
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Zoeyromanov
Bucky take the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1 View Post
Yeah, there's really no one way to do a wig, there's just choosing the way that you feel comfortable using and finding the best product that will get you the results you want.

I think you will do great with an arda base wig and extensions. Their fiber texture is rougher than epics and is meant more for spiking. I have spiked epic wigs before, but they take more work since the fiber is softer/silkier and meant to prevent tangling. Ardas wigs were definitely for spiking and back combing, several of their styles are specifically meant for that and they only recently started carrying the longer styles for variety.

This is a site that has some colour ring info that might help you compare/choose your burgundy.

http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/s...el/Arda%20Wigs
Oh thank you for the link .
He I know I keep asking questions but its just I want to make sure I buy the right stuff and not let it go to waste or all that money for nothing; since all this stuff is expensive.
I know Arda is a popular brand but ive checked out their wigs in burgundy but its too light; but I could order a swatch to see how light/dark it is.
I know there are many ways to design a wig to suit a character's hair.
So for me in particular, so far my option is to buy a base wig in burgundy, extensions and cut them to look like bangs and spike the whole wig (like I previously mentioned :P).
Thanks for the input

Edit:
Oh I checked out the swatch image for the color i need and its actually not bad ^^

Winter 2014

Halloween 2014

Planning
Jack Frost, RoTG

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 10-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.