Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Rirukuo

Anyone know if it is possible to make ballet heels?

Hi : 3
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to make ballerina heels, like this? It's too expensive for me to buy, and I really need them for a cosplay, so I was just wondering. I know people have made pony boots, so I'm hoping someone has tried making something like this too!

Unread 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
harmonyisarine

I've begun to make my own shoes, and I did a lot of research before beginning. A major point that comes up continually is to never make your own heels. There is more support and structure through the sole and heel than you'll be able to do on your own, and doing it wrong risks anything from a minor sprain to a broken ankle or foot when it fails on you. Those heels would be much harder, since the balance points are so crucial to even standing. Whoever made the pony boots either is an experienced cobbler, simply disguised the heel on a stiletto (easier to do than you'd imagine), or is very lucky the shoe didn't break during use.

Could you buy a black high stiletto either in a similar ankle-boot style or make a cover for them? Especially if this is for more than just a shoot, you'd probably be far more comfortable moving around (which is saying something when I'm talking about a steep stiletto...), and they'll be cheaper.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

I concur. There was a similar post abut someone making stilts for a costume on their own, and the same rules apply: unless you're very experienced in creating shoes in general, I'd advise NOT to try to build your own heels, especially for these "en pointe" (I've done contemporary dance) type ballet heels. One false move, one ripped seam or weak glue bond, and you can have a hospital bill for a broken ankle in the thousands, not to mention the risk of ongoing/permanent injury to one of the most complex bone systems in your entire body.

I would go with the previous post's idea to make a cover for some high stilettos. Pad the front of your foot so it looks like your foot goes straight up, instead of on the stiletto's normal slant, and you should be ok. You may not get the small front area of the sole, but I'd risk accuracy over risking a broken ankle.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Rirukuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyisarine View Post
Whoever made the pony boots either is an experienced cobbler, simply disguised the heel on a stiletto (easier to do than you'd imagine), or is very lucky the shoe didn't break during use..
I have actually made my own pony boots too, for a my little pony cosplay, and it worked just fine. I've only worn them for two days, but they seem sturdy enough to wear again.

But thank you, both of you! I guess it's a bit stupid trying to make my own, and it's not worth a sprained ankle or something like that. I'll try the stiletto method, but I'm a sucker for accuracy, so I hope it will look great, or I'll have to figure something else out.
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Penlowe

those look positively painful....
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Rirukuo

oh, yes they do.. One must suffer for the accuracy of cosplay xD
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Normal ballet slippers tend to be easier to make than most shoes; this is because they use satin instead of leather for the upper, so it is sufficient to simply glue the upper to the sole. The toe-box (the thing used to stand en pointe) can be made from burlap and epoxy, or other strong but slightly flexible resin.

But yeah, the heel is a whole lot of trouble. It's made by laminating layers of hardwood together with a steel rod screwed through the center. It must then be secured to the sole which is done in a number of different ways, each of which is easy to screw up. I'm pretty sure you'd need a rigid sole (unlike ballet slippers), which would probably be made from a combination of plate-steel and leather.

To build such a thing safely, you would need various jigs, tools, and specialty adhesives. The cost of everything needed would be higher than whatever outrageous price is being asked for these boots.
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm seconding a cover with normal heels... I'm pretty those are fetish ballet boots in which you're not SUPPOSED to be able to stand/walk.
And if it's slightly less expensive- I don't know the prices for either- although less accurate since they can only be used with a fully en pointe look if you're a trained dancer (I dance ballet myself and like nearly all other dancers, we'll strongly admonish against trying to stand en pointe if you're not trained, because you can SERIOUSLY hurt your feet and ankles), but you CAN walk in them, you could possibly try Dori shoes- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dori_shoes
With some posing tricks you could certainly get pretty darn close to that look.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Rirukuo

okay, thanks The dori shoes looks like they could work! I'll guess I'll do some research on them.
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
protonmitsu

Do you dance en pointe? If not, you really, really shouldn't do this. Ballet dancers train for years before going en pointe so that the muscles and bones in our feet are developed correctly; it's an unnatural way for your weight to be supported, so things can go wrong. Wearing pointe shoes when your feet aren't ready, or which fit poorly, can screw up your feet (my grandmother went en pointe too early and still experiences pain when she walks). If you do have the proper training, and a dance teacher has approved you to go en pointe, make sure you get them fitted by someone who knows their stuff. Furthermore, I have danced en pointe for years and I would never wear the shoes you linked to since they force you to stay en pointe all the time (when you're dancing, you continually go on and off pointe; also you don't do it all day). The Dori shoes look pretty neat, though--IF you're a dancer, the shoes are fitted correctly, etc. they could work well.
Sorry, I'm really worried that you'll mess up your feet. Feet are important, please don't do that.
protonmitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
MfWic
What the hell is MFWIC?

I'm curious what your costume is that requires these shoes o_o

The original intent of these shoes... well... ill let everyone figure that out.
MfWic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Rirukuo

I have tried dancing en pointe, but I'm far from professional dancer. But I would only be using them for a competition and some photos, so I think it would be ok. But I've almost given up on making them, so there's no need to worry! But thank you!

I'm cosplaying both Aigis and Metis from Persona 3, and they don't have human feet, just stubs. That's why ballet heels would be perfect. And I do know about their original use.
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
MfWic
What the hell is MFWIC?

Ill let you figure out the origin of them on your own. Now that I have a picture of what you are trying to make wouldn't having a pair of platform stilettos with a pant that runs flush with the side of your leg and the shoe down to the ground. You could have elastic on the bottom holding them around your foot. To simulate not having a little foot. You would have to find the right kinda shoe but you might be able to make it work.
MfWic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Rirukuo

I have tried with the steepest stilettos I could find, but it doesn't look as slim and robotic as I want it to look. that's why I want the ballet heels. But I'll try looking for other methods since people have strongly advised me no to do it.