Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
arsenicCatnip

resin gem attachment ??

i'm planning out my flame princess cosplay (her usual dress, not the outfit from ignition point), and i've been thinking of making her two gems out of resin.

i have some tutorials for that, so i'm not too concerned about that part, but i have no clue how to attach them.

i've seen some people say they attach resin gems to skin using spirit gum, which is fine for her forehead gem, but what about the gem on the dress? how should i attach that one?
arsenicCatnip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Tacky glue or other bedazzler-type glue intended for fabrics can work. It's best if you take a knife and score some cross-hatches on the back so it has something to grip to. The downside is that you probably shouldn't machine wash the dress with the gem in place.

Another good solution is to find pin blanks; the things that are used to make lapel pins. They can be a little hard to find; they can also just be salvaged from small cheap lapel pins. You drill a small hole in the gem, not very deep at all, and set the pin in place with a drop of superglue. Then you can pin it to the dress without ruining it. If worried about it spinning around, just use two pin blanks.
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
char99char
Crazy for costumes

I made resin gems and attached them with plain old super glue.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2838827/
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
NyuNyu
CLAMP addict

For my Princess Sakura (Tsubasa) I wanted to be able to wash everything, so I used sew on velcro. I used E6000 to attach velcro to the back of the gem, and sewed on/fabric glued the velcro to the outfit. Pin backs stuck too far off the dress for my liking. Velcro is a tad less noticeable. If you can glue it straight on, I think that's better, but you'd have to handwash your piece.
NyuNyu is offline   Reply With Quote