Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
HelloJapan

How long should my hakama be?

Hi, im about to buy hakama for cosplaying.

Im 188 cm tall, and I dont know whether to choose 180 cm hakama or 190 cm hakama.

Help me plz, thx.
HelloJapan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

Well, in my experience, it's always easier to hem something that is too long than to let it out and try to lengthen it. I'd suggest going for the longer one!
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'd certainly go longer and hem up the difference/wear taller sandals. 180 cm will be at least an inch or two too short. From what I recall of my hakama-wearing jiujitsu instructors, hakama sit around the tops of the feet or a little below the ankle bone. 180 on a 188 cm person will have them sitting closer to the tops of the ankles like too-short pants.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Yeah, all the stuff I've ever read about making hakama (and I've made my fair share) say that they should hit the ankle. It's actually a measurement required in the layout I use for hakama to measure from the floor to the ankle to get the right hem length.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I've sewn quite of number of hakama pants and found the patterns usually suggest they sit at your ankle. If you're 188cm and the pants are measuring at 190cm, you might have to heam them depending on the way they sit on your body.

I would suggest getting the longer size, only because too short hakama pants can look really funny (and noticeable). One of my first attempts were these as you can see they are too short for me. Or with this cosplay too long. I have since learnt my lesson. Here is a good example of proper length or this one