Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Henrickson

Lightbulb Photographers gathering 2013 (Friday 10 pm @ the gazebo)

Hi!

I've seen some at a few cons already: gatherings of cosplay/convention photographers. There was one at Katsucon last year.

I organized one at Otakon 2012 and it was quite successful! Inspired by this success, I hereby propose a Photographers gathering at Katsucon 2013 on Friday, February 15th at 10:00 pm, meeting up at the gazebo. If that spot is occupied, then we'll use the fountains downstairs.

Facebook Event for the gathering
Group shot of the Photographers gathering at Otakon 2012

The gazebo is a very known "landmark" of the Gaylord hotel, and is very hard to miss. Everyone should be able to find it easily if they've never seen it before or never been there.

Anime cons attract a lot of cosplay & convention photographers. Katsucon in particular attract some of the best in the U.S., Canada and other countries. This gathering could serve as a networking opportunity for us camera wielders! I'm open to meet both new and seasoned cosplay/convention photographers. I don't know if there'll be a Cosplay Photography panel at the con, but at this casual gathering we could discuss (after introducing ourselves to each other, of course) tips & tricks of shooting at conventions, share locations for photoshoots, talk about interactions between cosplayers & photographers, etc. This meetup could be very informative for the newer, less experienced of us, learning directly from the more seasoned ones (like me).

I chose Friday because it's an early day in the convention weekend, and 10 pm because most photographers aren't expected to have scheduled shoots at this time. Please feel free to show each other the photos you took on that day, exchange contact info, take shots of the whole group, etc.

I hope this gathering will be successful and beneficial to everyone who'll attend it. If you have any comments or questions, please ask.

Outfits 2014:
All-black cosplay photographer attire | Black & green cosplay photographer attire | Tan & brown cosplay photographer attire

* Anime North 2014 plans *
* Convention photojournalist for ConsPlayers.com | Staff Photographer for Montreal Comiccon and Nadeshicon *
Henrickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
elvis8tweeter
Philadelphia

Oh, i'm excited!! I'll totally be there!
(not a photographer, but a videographer... so hope that's okay!)
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
twixs911
a nooby cosplayer :3

Most likely going again ~
MAGfest 2014
Katsucon 2014

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Main cons I attend: MAGfest, Katsucon, Otakon, Anime USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Photography/cosplay (mainly photog) page; https://www.facebook.com/FlutterTeePhotography
East coast photographer = u =
twixs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
dragonlance311

Ill be going, it would be nice to meet and hang out with other photographers
dragonlance311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
ShinWHO
Welcome to Impossible

Can you change the title to 2013 to be less confusing?
Lol, my face is the only one you can't see in the Otakon pic.
ShinWHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Mr E

bumping this because it seemed to have disappeared.... because it's soooo old.
Mr E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Henrickson

And it doesn't need much planning, LOL.

Here's what to expect at this gathering:

- A group shot of all cosplay/convention photographers present. Yes, here cosplayers can take pictures of all us photogs gathered together.
- The "Single Shutter Actuation Challenge". It's a game where each photographer has to take the best possible photo of a given cosplayer with just 1 shot. At the end of everyone's turn, all photos are compared and the one with the best photo wins the game! Detailed instructions to be given on site.
- A business/contact/personal card swap session. Bring your cards!

I expect the attendance number to be as similar as at Otakon '12, around 30-35 photographers. But I encourage more people to be present. The more we are, the merrier things will be!

So please tell your photography friends to come to this gathering! We had a very fun time at Otakon, and we expect no less at Katsucon.

Outfits 2014:
All-black cosplay photographer attire | Black & green cosplay photographer attire | Tan & brown cosplay photographer attire

* Convention photojournalist for ConsPlayers.com | Staff Photographer for Montreal Comiccon and Nadeshicon *
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
errido
Milzarr

definitely interested C;

Cosplay plans:

Nikon D7000+35mm F/1.8
errido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Jonowxeno
Photog

Will be my first Katsucon
Gonna join the FB event
Flickr, Facebook, DA
Jonowxeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Umini

Damn, I have a scheduled shoot at that time. I've never heard of photog gatherings at cons before but it sounds fun! If you guys do another one for this upcoming Otakon, I'll definitely try to make it.
Umini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

I'm going to try, at least for a few minutes. Though the hotel I have is about 1.5 miles east and doesn't look like the best area to be walking toward at night (last bus around 11 I think). ^_^;
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Henrickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umini View Post
Damn, I have a scheduled shoot at that time. I've never heard of photog gatherings at cons before but it sounds fun! If you guys do another one for this upcoming Otakon, I'll definitely try to make it.
I specifically chose 10 pm because most cosplay photographers don't book shoots after 9 pm. (Well, I do.) If I attend Otakon this year, I definitely would host such a gathering again!

See you this Friday at 10 pm at the Gazebo!

Outfits 2014:

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #13
Marcus9
Photographer

Probably will still be involved in a shoot at 10 but wanted to say hello on the thread. Hope to meet many of you at Katsucon!

Really enjoyed your LOL photos, Jwai.

Marcus
Marcus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Kaizen Photoz

First Katsucon and excited to see all the amazing outfits and uwill definitely try my best to make it to this. Regardless, just want to wish everyone a kickass time!!

Kaizen
Kaizen Photoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Henrickson

Hi, this is Henrickson. Gazebo is closed/blocked, so I propose we do the gathering in front of Potomac C & D's doors. There's lots of space and almost no one there (as of 8:30 pm).

Outfits 2014: