Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
AJ the Collector
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninbri View Post
I agree. Homestuck and Hetalia fans are by far the worst. Maybe 85% of the immature people in society decided they liked Homestuck and Hetalia. I personally don't like either of the shows, so..
You've obviously never seen Homestuck at all, considering you think it's a show.
End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
DTAC 2014

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Gamzee Makara {100%!} for FX14
Equius Zahhak {100%!} for End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
Totakeke {90%} for DTAC14
L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Sable Able {50%} for CB15
Penelope Mouse - Sly 3 design {40%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #32
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
You've obviously never seen Homestuck at all, considering you think it's a show.
^ agreed saying you don't like something you know nothing about...

People's actions shouldn't make you judge the show,movie,web comic,etc badly..ain't their or the creators fault some ppl tend to act weird or just plain rude.

Don't let the Fandom Trolls win!

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikineko View Post
Also the fact that if you are not cosplaying any of the Allied or Axis characters with the exceptions of Prussia and Holy Roman Empire,you were completely ignored in photo shoots.
So true. Even if you cosplay as the character that gets the most hate, they'll ignore you more.

Other countries needs more love.

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2

Last edited by Codename Otacon : 10-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #34
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I'm also not the kind of person who pretends to be the character when I'm in costume, so I don't like when people try to hold a conversation with me as if I was the character. It's just really uncomfortable to me. I'm also really put off by the people who do Kuroshitsuji yaoi. I just CANNOT support that one at all.
THIS. I don't like when people come up and start trying to act things out to me and then get upset when I don't do it back. If you like roleplaying, it's fine, just don't expect me to as well.
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~

Personally, I have not had any trouble (yet), because I've only cosplayed like twice, and only once was it from an actual series (first time was the uniform from my own manga). Since Steins;Gate is not one of those big, popular fandoms, and the cosplayers I have met so far are really neat.....no problem there. However, from reading these stories, I do worry about when I DO want to cosplay from more popular series. For example, I wanna do Kyoko from Madoka Magica. I really hope not to have any bad experiences. Also, I'm about to start Vocaloid cosplaying. I don't know anything about the fandom, cosplay wise at least, but I do know about the pairing flame wars which I hope I don't run into (I respect people's ships, they're Vocaloids, depending on the song, the writer can pair them with whomever, blah blah blah...it's like acting. I have my personal fave pairings, but I respect others' ships).

But I do agree that one should not judge any entertainment entity solely on their fanbase alone. The fans can be rabid and distort everything about something, but that doesn't mean the actual product isn't good. As cosplayers, we should try to be the better person in the fandom.
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

Currently in the works!
Keichii Maebara [casual, genderbent] (Higurashi)
Shinji Ikari [school uniform, genderbent] (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #36
Kildread
I can fix it!

All fandoms can be annoying and obnoxious. Heck, nobody can tell me that bullshit about 'retaking the Mass Effect ending' the fandom made was anything but annoying and obnoxious.

It's not Homestuck the problem, it's the individual. If you're being a civil Homestuck-er, but people judge you as an obnoxious one from the get-go because you're into Homestuck, it says more about them than it says about you.

Last edited by Kildread : 10-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #37
Vault21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falclon View Post
THIS. I don't like when people come up and start trying to act things out to me and then get upset when I don't do it back. If you like roleplaying, it's fine, just don't expect me to as well.

I don't care for this, either. A one-liner or two can be okay, but beyond that, it's very uncomfortable to be put on the spot in such a way.

Pertaining specifically to cosplay, I never found any specific fandoms to be bothersome. It's usually the snobbery involved. Someone mentioned an Edward Cullen cosplayer that got hated on, and that's a good example. Like their nerdy interest is so much better than yours.

I would mention yaoi fans as a fandom that bothered me, but, in more recent years, I've found the majority to be kind and courteous. Most yaoi fans recognize that not everyone's into it. In both the photoshoots I've been to, the yaoi fans patiently waited for the main photoshoot to end, and did their own mini-shoot for their yaoi pics. So, while yaoi fans used to drive me nuts, I find the vast majority of them to be cool, now.

Germany (Training Outfit)--Hetailia
Bridge Carson (Green Unmorphed Uniform)--Power Rangers S.P.D.
Ichigo Kurosaki (High School Uniform)--Bleach
Kiba Inuzuka (Post Time Skip)--Naruto
Zeri (Lanseal School Uniform)--Valkyria Chronicles II
General Iroh II--Legend of Korra

Last edited by Vault21 : 10-16-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Vault21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #38
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Try being a Yu-Gi-Oh cosplayer. I had to put Yami away for a few years until people would stop shouting Abridged quotes at me. Trotted him out again this past weekend for old time's sake and what's the first thing I get from the first person with a camera? "It's time to duel!"

God. It's time to retire YGO.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #39
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Probably going to get hated on for this, but MLP fandom is by far the worst fandom I've had the "pleasure" of encountering.

I know not every fan of MLP is like this, but the ones I've met so far were obnoxious and if you don't like the show, they think you're totally against "friendship." What is logic. <___>
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #40
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTigerLilies View Post
I'm not sure if it fits under the same category, but I wore my Salieri costume basically only once, because I had about three people ask me what Kuroshitsuji character I was supposed to be -.-" So, I didn't really expect to GET recognized, but even then...I guess you could say that the Kuroshitsuji part is what ticks me off. Usually I see tons of Sebastians, Ciels, and Grells everywhere (and wtf Kuroshitsuji character does Salieri even look like? XD)
Just looked over your cosplay, and I can't see how you'd be mistaken for a Kuro Cosplayer. I don't really remember any young characters with a beard...Unless I'm missing a character but most of the background characters that have a beard are old and not important. My gf and I did a cosplay for Madness of Duke Venomania (Vocaloid Song) and her "girl" Kaito kept getting mistaken for Belarus from Hetalia.

Also, have nothing to add to the actual question as I've yet to find any fandom I dislike, but I guess It was Home-stuck. But I had my own reasoning for that (Such as friends who kept talking non-stop about the comic, and would always talk make me feel like a third wheel with the inside jokes I didn't understand from it.)
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #41
Ren-no-chi
Why yes, I AM insane

Yeah, there's a few cosplays I'd like to do, but I've either decided not to or am hesitant because of the bad rap the fandoms get. Case in point: I've been planning a Karkat cosplay because hey, I like the character. I'm not obsessed with Homestuck, but I enjoy reading it and like the character designs. I've been seriously reconsidering it though because of all the horror stories I hear of fans who cosplay it. I know not all fans are like that, but most people will judge something based off of only one experience if they don't know the fandom, and I'm a bit worried I'll be judged as crazy and disrespectful right off. It's really too bad people have to feel limited in cosplaying choices just because of a few crazy people.
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #42
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren-no-chi View Post
Yeah, there's a few cosplays I'd like to do, but I've either decided not to or am hesitant because of the bad rap the fandoms get. Case in point: I've been planning a Karkat cosplay because hey, I like the character. I'm not obsessed with Homestuck, but I enjoy reading it and like the character designs. I've been seriously reconsidering it though because of all the horror stories I hear of fans who cosplay it. I know not all fans are like that, but most people will judge something based off of only one experience if they don't know the fandom, and I'm a bit worried I'll be judged as crazy and disrespectful right off. It's really too bad people have to feel limited in cosplaying choices just because of a few crazy people.
I feel you, I'm a sucker for militarystuck (all but the left, the first two). I feel like that wouldn't get written off as part of the crazy fandom as much though since they are complicated cosplays, but I just would rather not deal with some of the immature fans if I can avoid it. Plus the two times I have tried to read Homestuck I couldn't make it out of the boring part. xD Maybe once the fandom dies down a bit...or maybe just for a photoshoot and not to wear to a con.
Unread 10-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #43
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoxJerk View Post
Probably going to get hated on for this, but MLP fandom is by far the worst fandom I've had the "pleasure" of encountering.

I know not every fan of MLP is like this, but the ones I've met so far were obnoxious and if you don't like the show, they think you're totally against "friendship." What is logic. <___>
I. know. that. feel. I mean, I'm a total brony, but I sure hope I'm not like that. XD Some of them take it to an extreme, that's for sure. I've noticed a common mentality among other bronies seems to be, "It's okay if you don't like the show because of love and tolerance, but if you don't like the show, it's obviously because you're a cynical person who hates everything cheerful and happy". Uhhh....no. Maybe they just don't care for the show? o3o

Regardless, I'll be cosplaying Rarity next week at Aki Con. XD I actually tend to cosplay from a lot series that receive hate (namely Hetalia and MLP), though I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm going to keep on cosplaying from those shows because a) it's fun, and b) maybe I can show someone that the fandom isn't all obnoxious people running around wreaking havoc. xD.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #44
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

I don't understand damning a whole fandom because of a few people... Or even a vocal minority. All my experiences in the Hetalia fandom have been fine. There were people being rude with flags, someone asked them to be more respectful, and they knocked it off. Someone at a Bleach gathering started making rape jokes, so people moved away from her. I guess I get annoyed by the people who make non-Supernatural people think Supernatural is about a fanon pairing cause...it's not and the pairing is one that bothers me. But there are enough non-annoying people in the fandom for me to hang out with. And I guess some people are rude to me when I'm dressed as Ed, but no one has ever continued to bother me if I just don't respond.

I'm not in either fandom, but the MLP and Homestuck people have always been nice to me o_0
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #45
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenaBlack View Post
I'm not in either fandom, but the MLP and Homestuck people have always been nice to me o_0
I suppose it's very hit and miss. XD About a year/year and a half ago until recently, literally every HS cosplayer I'd met was very rude and obnoxious. ._.; Thankfully, in the past few months I've met a few very nice Homestuckers, which is a breath of fresh air. As for MLP.... yeah, that's still pretty hit and miss for me. XD I really don't want to start a whole gender thing, but from my experience the Pegasisters are usually a lot more chill and well-mannered than the male Bronies. Probably just my experience though.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote