Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #46
Ren-no-chi
Why yes, I AM insane

Is it just me, or are there not so many (crazy) naruto fans around? I remember general screaming and insanity but recently the fandom seems to have died down and become a bit less immature. I see less people cosplaying from it too. Maybe that's just at the conventions I've recently gone to though.

Unread 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #47
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren-no-chi View Post
Is it just me, or are there not so many (crazy) naruto fans around? I remember general screaming and insanity but recently the fandom seems to have died down and become a bit less immature. I see less people cosplaying from it too. Maybe that's just at the conventions I've recently gone to though.
Nope, It's not you. The fandom is just calming down per usual with big fandoms like Naruto. It'll probably rise a little when it eventually reaches its end, but for now the big fandoms include: Home-stuck, My Little Pony, and I think Hetalia a bit but I didn't see too many of them in the last convention I went to.

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #48
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWonderusMary View Post
Nope, It's not you. The fandom is just calming down per usual with big fandoms like Naruto. It'll probably rise a little when it eventually reaches its end, but for now the big fandoms include: Home-stuck, My Little Pony, and I think Hetalia a bit but I didn't see too many of them in the last convention I went to.
Hetalia is also getting to the dying off phase, which is why you didn't see as many probably.
Unread 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #49
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falclon View Post
Hetalia is also getting to the dying off phase, which is why you didn't see as many probably.
Possibly, but the little I saw we're gorgeous. Most of them we're the uniforms that not many people cosplayed. I only wonder what I'll see more of in the next convention this November. I'm thinking Avengers for some reason.

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)

Unread 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #50
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Like others have said, EVERY fandom has it's weirdos/jerks/whackjobs. Lord knows I love comics, but there are a ton of cosplayers from the more popular series/movies that are definetly embarassments (Looking at you OC Harley Quinns and certain Avengers fans.)

That being said, certain fandoms have creeps that really give their associated series really bad reps. Naruto/Bleach/SJ series are breeding grounds for weebs. Square-Enix games have their crazy shippers, often with heavy wooden props. Hetalia has it share of racist fans/"history majors". The Homestuck kids are notorious for cyber-bullying, assuming everything Hussie's crazy-ass girlfriend says is true. There are some Bronies who've taken their love for tiny plastic horses too far.

Of course those fandom do have sane, mature fans as well, but those fans are often ignored over the crazies thanks to convention/internet-fuckery. At times it's best to ignore them, but be aware that not everyone may like the same things that you do, and it's not going to change.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #51
Silvermokona

I'm kinda glad Hetalia is dying off. I had a lot of really good friends that were into Hetailia, to the point where they referred to all their close friends as countries. I read a bit of the series, and I thought it was an awesome idea to personify countries, and almost cosplayed from it until I heard my friend almost got sexually assaulted during a Hetalia photoshoot .w. I know not all of the fans are like that, and I've met a lot of well-mannered cosplayers, but I avoided that fandom like the plague after that happened to my friend. . .

Homestuck also got a bad rep with some of the west coast Touhou cosplayers after one of them entered a cosplay contest and one of the judges cosplaying Homestuck basically told him his cosplay sucked because he was crossplaying. Also sucks because I have some other friends who are Homestuck people who make some freaking amazing cosplays. . .

Haven't run into any bad apples in the Touhou fandom yet, but I figure its a matter of time -shrugs-
Silvermokona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #52
TheCosplayFox
What the hell?

yeah the naruto fans are really dying out I remember when I first started cosplaying everybody was either naruto or bleach and they would argue over which show was better and it was so immature. Now the big one's are for sure hetalia but as sated above that series seems to be dying down, Homestuck and MLP. Madoka seems to be getting big as well, I've actually never cosplayed before this from a series that was just getting its popularity so I've run across some I'd say odd new experiences and I'm not sure if I want to be grouped in what shall happen at future cons cause fans will be well obnoxious fans sometimes.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #53
Vault21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenaBlack View Post
I don't understand damning a whole fandom because of a few people... Or even a vocal minority.
If every member of a fandom you meet acts like a jerk, then, from your perspective, that's not just a few people, or a vocal minority. That's everybody from that fandom you've ever met. We base our opinions on past experiences. Even your own reasons for liking the people from certain fandoms are based on your positive experiences with those fans.

If every you ever met who wore a blue hat treated you like garbage, you'd probably have an aversion to people with blue hats.

Germany (Training Outfit)--Hetailia
Bridge Carson (Green Unmorphed Uniform)--Power Rangers S.P.D.
Ichigo Kurosaki (High School Uniform)--Bleach
Kiba Inuzuka (Post Time Skip)--Naruto
Zeri (Lanseal School Uniform)--Valkyria Chronicles II
General Iroh II--Legend of Korra
Vault21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #54
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault21 View Post
If every member of a fandom you meet acts like a jerk, then, from your perspective, that's not just a few people, or a vocal minority. That's everybody from that fandom you've ever met. We base our opinions on past experiences. Even your own reasons for liking the people from certain fandoms are based on your positive experiences with those fans.

If every you ever met who wore a blue hat treated you like garbage, you'd probably have an aversion to people with blue hats.
Perfect example of how the world works. Just like it works in school (For me, it was black girls from my school due to ALL my bullies ever being a black girl who thought the world centered on her) this is the way it works in a convention as well with cosplayers. If you see something bad happen in a con, and it involves a certain fandom like homestuck. Then, easily you'll wonder if other home-stuckers or people who cosplay from there are bad. I've seen way too many horror stories online, and they usually involve 3 fandoms: Naruto, Home-stuck, and Hetalia.

Cosplay List:
-Joker (Black Butler)

Unread 10-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #55
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault21 View Post
Pertaining specifically to cosplay, I never found any specific fandoms to be bothersome. It's usually the snobbery involved. Someone mentioned an Edward Cullen cosplayer that got hated on, and that's a good example. Like their nerdy interest is so much better than yours.
I'm surprised no one has added to this. Hating on specific fandoms in an obnoxious, vocal manner to me is just as discourteous as being "that" guy/girl who gives a fandom a poor reputation.

My bro was once mistaken for Edward Cullen (Twilight) while wearing street clothes. This guy proceeded to yell (yes, YELL) at him in the middle of a crowded comic book convention for dressing as a Twilight character. We were all so taken aback that we couldn't summon the words to correct this person. It's not my brother's fault that he coincidentally looks like a character from a series you don't like. More importantly, it shouldn't concern you even if my brother was the biggest fan of Twilight in all existence. This sort of behavior absolutely mystifies me.

Next con: Yaoi Con (Burlingham, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #56
Akahana Hime
Proud OC Cosplayer

I cosplay Vampire Knight and i've always been mature. I was once at a con where this bleach cosplayer came running down the hall with his sword.....and shoved me aside sending me crashing into a nice wall. I was helped up by a security ninja and the guy was told off..... yeah immature cosplayers is a reason i'm going to stop going to cons after next year....
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #57
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

Nobody kill me but I'm not a fan of Yaoi. I'm fine with the already cannon Yapoi's but I'm not too fond of the fan yaoi's. Not surprisingly that has scared me away from Naruto, Black Butler, Hetalia, Homestuck and deffinetly Kingdom Hearts.

I went to a Kingom Hearts photoshoot once and a Kairi cosplayer and a Namine asked for pictures with a Sora and a Roxas and they freaked out, calling the poor girls homophobic for interrupting the obvious love between AxelxRoxas and SoraxRiku.

The poor Namine actually started to cry!

I really REALLY don't like incest pairings either, I'm looking at you LokixThor shippers!

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #58
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell-chan View Post
I'm surprised no one has added to this. Hating on specific fandoms in an obnoxious, vocal manner to me is just as discourteous as being "that" guy/girl who gives a fandom a poor reputation.

My bro was once mistaken for Edward Cullen (Twilight) while wearing street clothes. This guy proceeded to yell (yes, YELL) at him in the middle of a crowded comic book convention for dressing as a Twilight character. We were all so taken aback that we couldn't summon the words to correct this person. It's not my brother's fault that he coincidentally looks like a character from a series you don't like. More importantly, it shouldn't concern you even if my brother was the biggest fan of Twilight in all existence. This sort of behavior absolutely mystifies me.
That's terrible! I'm not going to lie, there are certain series I see in a bad light, but I would never push that dislike onto someone of the fandom. :/ I mean, it's okay to not like a series, but it's not anyone else's fault (except maybe the rude cosplayers who gave you such an impression, but I still wouldn't reccommend confronting them or provoking them by any means), and someone's dislike of a series shouldn't be taken out on them. ._.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #59
Talossa
We try hardcore!

I've met my share of annoying/offensive/immature people, but I try not to judge their whole fandoms by the actions of a few bad apples.

It's sort of rough sometimes, because I do enjoy cosplaying Hetalia and I know it's got a bad reputation, and I've run into Hetalia groups at cons that were definitely not acting in an appropriate way. (Screaming, running around crashing into people, using flags as cushions to sit on, stripping each other in public...)

What do y'all do when something like that happens? I don't want to be the bitchy old lady correcting everyone, so I mostly just try to maintain my distance (unless they're like, running and crashing into ME) but sometimes I worry that people are going to assume I condone their behavior because we're from the same series.

And, for the record, the vast majority of Hetalia cosplayers I've encountered have absolutely NOT been like that. The same goes for the other "annoying" series (MLP, Homestuck, formerly Bleach and Naruto...) I've met some really obnoxious people, but 90% of the cosplayers I encounter are completely fine.
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #60
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

One big thing the Hetalia fandom has that I recently had to deal with is:
A friend and I were joking about some events in the American Revolution: being lighthearted and obviously just kidding, we weren't mocking anything, playing it out as if it was no big deal, etc.. Because we know very well that the Revolution is nothing to play off as nothing, but we were just making a little joke to ourselves.
This girl comes in and goes all "history major" on us, claiming that we're what gives the fandom the bad name, we'll fail in college if we only see everything as Hetalia, the Revolution is more than just a train for yaoi, etc. ...Blowing our little joke totally out of proportion. I also feel we should mention the two of us aren't even in high school yet..while this person was in college. Yes, we see everything in a more lighthearted way because we aren't adults yet. This started a whole domino effect of little fights and the creator of the fan group we'd posted it on claiming to take it down because of 'fighting'. We never fought. I just pointed out that their comments were uncalled for, rude, and false; they tried to attack us.
It..has pretty much disheartened me from cosplaying Hetalia again, unless I'm one of the Nordics or an undercosplayed character. I'd like to do France or England, but knowing that there are people who will basically bite my head off for making a little joke about a historical event...I don't want to touch that.
So, in my case, sometimes the fandom does scare me off.

Another thing is with Kuro. I'm pretty much given up on doing Ciel since, unless you are utterly stunning, good costumes don't really matter; they're a given. What matters is whether or not you have a group, which I don't. It also doesn't help that my friend who cosplays him too does...Not so much that the fandom is annoying so much as how people see those who cosplay it. You're supposed to have a nice, fancy costume..what you need is friends who are equally as good, then, boom, you're great. So until I can get that...ehh.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote