Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #91
wonderland-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
12 trolls 1 bucket kinda ruined Homestuck for me, being it was my first impression of the series.
I would not dislike the fandom besauce of one experance, because I have found that first impression. So plese don't think badly of my fellow homestuckers.

I am going to say all fandoms can be annoying, they all have bad apples. So I dont dislike any fandom because of that. its never fair to juge anything on one group or experance, thats just what I think.

Let the hate began.
Shutocon 2014- I don't know yet.
my da: http://therealdeathnote.deviantart.com/gallery/
wonderland-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #92
J3SA

I wouldn't put it as certain "fandoms" that you dislike, just certain individuals in the fandom.

Like, I cosplay Kingdom Hearts (Sora,Roxas) and Hetalia (Switzerland) and Kuroshitsuji (Ciel) but I like to think I'm not a complete a total asshat to every person that I meet.

I have run into people from certain fandoms that I couldn't stand being around for more than like 30 seconds because they were so rude and obnoxious to me.

I also dislike those fans that run around "in character" being completely annoying. High pitched squealing, annoying giggling, pushing past people etc. Like if your character is one of those kind of people sure act in character but try to not annoy the people surrounding you while you're doing it. I've seen people have their food/drinks spilled all over their costumes while some idiot runs past them pushing into them while chasing their friend.

I keep reading about the homestuck fandom, and i'm going to have to agree. Especially here in Australia. I have friends who cosplay homestuck and i can't stand being around them while they're in that cosplay. I duno what it is. They're good friends but the second they put that costume on it's like they completely change. I duno. Maybe it's just me..?
Upon saying that i'm not going to reject their entire fandom because of my experiences so far. I'll still give them a chance. And that's the same with every fandom.

It;s like saying (NOTCOSPLAYRELATED) that you hate the entire "Belieber" fandom because they're all completely retarded... (Which they are. DID YOU SEE THE STUFF THEY'VE DONE IN AUSTRALIA?!) But my sister is one and she looks at the other fans and is like "WTF guys.." So you can't single out an entire fandom, just certain people within said fandom..

/Rant.

Sorry for the longness.. .
J3SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #93
Lalnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwack View Post
Soooo, as much as a total Homestuck that I am, I gotta agree that we can be pretty annoying. The collective of us practically took over New York Comic Con on Saturday, with about 200+ people. But I do need to mention, that Homestuck is practically the nicest series I've ever known, and the fans have almost been whats helping my survive my freshman year. For every fandom you're going to hear bad stuff. So, it's just normal logic that the bigger the fandom, the worst you're going to hear about it. And Homestuck is pretty big.
Still, I'd like to ask all of you guys to give Homestuck cosplayers a try, because I have been told by cosplayers from other fandoms I've talked to while I was cosplaying Homestuck at conventions "I've always been terrified to talk to you guys, but you've ended up to be some of the nicest, closely knit group that I've ever met." And it broke all of your hearts to hear a Hetalian say that.
Another group that people tend to look down on. Hetalia is great! Both Hetalia and Homestuck are centered on a...different kind of humor that can be seen as offensive, and some fans take it a tad bit too far.

Give them a chance, please.
Oh I'm going to cry. This. I am working on several Hetalia cosplays now, tomorrow for Halloween, I will trick or treat as Denmark. And I don't care what others think. The flags histories always pop up. I mean, I never saw it. And about the "people using flags as a cape", I saw that really often...During the freaking olympic games this summer.

Anyways, maybe it's the fact that I am Canadian, but where I live, Hetalia is not known at all. Well, I am part of a Hetalia Cosplay group (and I met the other members online. They're awesome. And we're like the only Hetalians here in our city. But anyways) and I think we're perfectly okay. I never went to a con, (but I am going in december to my first con), only to cosplay meet-up, and no one knew who I was (it wasn't only the fact that I was Denmark. And I don't agree about the "If you're not cosplaying a character from the Axis/Allies/Prussia, no one'll notice you. When I first met the other members of my cosplay group they said they really liked my cosplay even they were America and England. I mean, it must depends on where you live. Where I live, you can cosplay not known at all characters from any series, and still get the respect you need.)

I think it's about the number. Well, before I started cosplaying, I thought Hetalia was a really weird and not known AT ALL anime. Like it was a small community. And in my head, it's still is. Because all those "weaboos" and stuff, I don't consider them as real part of the fandom.

That makes me think that on YouTube, I said to someone who was all like "yaoi is the whole point of that show!!!!" that I didn't watched Hetalia for the yaoi, but for the story and the humour. And they were people who were like "I agree too", but I got an answer which was like "Well, you don't watch Hetalia for the yaoi? You're really one of a kind, huh". What? Or people "fangirling" and were there "HAHA OMG ENGLAND SCONES LOOOOL", and people just said that she was one of those person who gave a bad image of our fandom. And it's so true. Personally, I love talking about stereotypes, and even before Hetalia. It was just really something that I enjoyed, I don't care if you call it "racist", I know what racism is, and stereotype is far away from that.

And about the cosplay groups things. KennyCiel said that they tend to be very clique-y. Well, I'm going to see that with my awesome cosplay groupe, even though they accepted me, even though I came out of freaking nowhere on a freaking nowhere forum, and even though they already knew each other for...like 3 years? We'll see. And about that military thing, this is WAY TOO MUCH. Seriously. And about that peace-hating thingy. Nope, I am one of these persons who thinks that war was a necessary thing, and that achieving world peace is almost impossible, if we consider that the human kind is...really one of his kind huh. I mean, when I listen to Hetalia songs, I dream about world peace, it sounds nice. But it's a dream, and Hetalia can really light up my day. I know some awesome people from that fandom that can light up my day too.

Huh, I didn't really said anything, now that I think about it, I am just a Hetalian trying to defend her fandom, I guess.

But if there's something I owe to Hetalia, it's my love for World History. here, we only learn about Canadian history. But like during all our scolarity :/ And I remember my Mom saying "Haaa world history was one of my favorite subject at school". And at that time, History for my was..."Boring useless old stuff that old humans made a very long freaking time ago. Now let's please talk about something else?". And now, just besides my SF books are history books, and I enjoy history really much, and didn't know that this "boring useless old stuff" could be so touching and interesting. Thanks Hetalia.

Last edited by Lalnee : 10-30-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Lalnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #94
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I'm also not the kind of person who pretends to be the character when I'm in costume, so I don't like when people try to hold a conversation with me as if I was the character. It's just really uncomfortable to me.
Same here... I understand that some people really enjoy the "play" part of "cosplay" and love taking on a role, but that's not the reason I cosplay. I'm fine with people getting into character, but I get annoyed when they try to pressure me into it or act like I'm not a "true cosplayer" because I don't act like the character. One of my more frequent cosplays is Harley Quinn and I'm constantly asked to "do the voice". Then when I respond that I can't imitate her trademark voice, people sometimes get all huffy about it.

Honestly, fandoms have driven me away from a number of things I like. In every fandom, there are the crazy-obsessive, annoying people. The problem is that those people tend to speak louder than the laid-back people. The larger the fandom gets, the harder it becomes to avoid the obnoxious fans. In a few cases, it's left a bad enough impression that I can't even watch the show anymore.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #95
kittymutt
Belgium Waffles

I'm sure this has been said, but I think it's true that the more popular the fandom, the more likely it will annoy people. Pretty much all the fandoms that are often mentioned are/used to be big. I do think there is a strong correlation between popularity and annoyance.

That being said, There really isn't any fandom I consider all annoying. Sure, I've met annoying people that make me want to punch them in the face and push them into the pit of death, but I tend to put the only blame on them as a person, and not the whole fandom. That would be silly and unfair to group innocent people all into one bundle of annoyance because of a few buttheads.

I also have a pretty high tolerance level and thus don't get annoyed easily. I've met good and bad people in all fandoms, including my own. I just try to stick with the positive people that are good and nice, then shun and ignore those who are bad.
kittymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #96
Curucar

Time to throw in my two cents.

Like many people, Homestuck tweaks me. Not for the multitude of grey trolls running around, but because of the kickstarter. Nearly 2.5 million? For a game? (Yes, I realise how expensive making a game is). Funded by everyday people. Two people even had $10k just *sitting* around. That money could've gone to something that bettered the humankind as a whole, not to a game that encourages people to sit on their butts and only move their fingers.
Unread 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #97
Shirayuki~Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curucar View Post

Like many people, Homestuck tweaks me. Not for the multitude of grey trolls running around, but because of the kickstarter. Nearly 2.5 million? For a game? (Yes, I realise how expensive making a game is). Funded by everyday people. Two people even had $10k just *sitting* around. That money could've gone to something that bettered the humankind as a whole, not to a game that encourages people to sit on their butts and only move their fingers.
I'm sorry, but who are you to decide what people spend their money on? Yeah, everyone could've donated their pledge to a charity, but then again when people buy $65 dollar video games nobody harps at them and tells them "you could've spent that money on something more useful!" Who are you to tell me what's useful and my life and what isn't.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #98
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
I'm sorry, but who are you to decide what people spend their money on? Yeah, everyone could've donated their pledge to a charity, but then again when people buy $65 dollar video games nobody harps at them and tells them "you could've spent that money on something more useful!" Who are you to tell me what's useful and my life and what isn't.
If it's something that the fans are passionate about, and if it doesn't hurt anyone, then go for it!

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #99
EvilLittleKiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoxJerk View Post
Probably going to get hated on for this, but MLP fandom is by far the worst fandom I've had the "pleasure" of encountering.

I know not every fan of MLP is like this, but the ones I've met so far were obnoxious and if you don't like the show, they think you're totally against "friendship." What is logic. <___>
On behalf of the fandom, I'm sorry. I've never met a Brony/Pegasister outside of the Internet like that, and almost all of my friends are Bronies/Pegasisters, plus I've met tons of nice ones at cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtiger View Post
It entirely depends on who you talk to and who you run into, there are good people in fandoms and questionable ones

Only thing that had bugged me is when fandoms look down on other cosplayers from the same series because who their cosplaying. (Ex. Sakura from Naruto and Elizabeth from Black Butler)

I see this more for female characters then male.
It's the whole "oh, -female love interest- is SUCH a Mary Sue who is trying to destroy all the yaoi!" mentality. It doesn't help that many female characters in anime tend to be a bit annoying and not too useful.

Currently working on:
Deandra -- MPGiS

My favorite cosplays:
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck

Unread 11-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #100
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

I admit, I was somewhat hesitant to cosplay as Xemnas to NYCC because sometimes the Kingdom Hearts fandom can be slightly... unpredictable? However, when I got there the KH fans (including cosplayers!) that I encountered all just wanted to take pictures and have some fun being in character.

Being in character is one thing (it is part of the fun, after all!), but I'm not about to pose for pictures just to fulfill some ...interesting... visions that people might have of certain characters. Luckily, I haven't really encountered that so far

Last edited by MythrilDragon : 11-02-2012 at 12:38 AM.
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #101
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
My thoughts exactly.
In progress:
| Tooru Oikawa - 95%| Cronus Ampora - 90%|
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Loki Laevatein - 50%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #102
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilDragon View Post
I admit, I was somewhat hesitant to cosplay as Xemnas to NYCC because sometimes the Kingdom Hearts fandom can be slightly... unpredictable? However, when I got there the KH fans (including cosplayers!) that I encountered all just wanted to take pictures and have some fun being in character.

Being in character is one thing (it is part of the fun, after all!), but I'm not about to pose for pictures just to fulfill some ...interesting... visions that people might have of certain characters. Luckily, I haven't really encountered that so far
I've had the same experience, Kingdom Hearts Cosplayers are generally quite nice. Though I've noticed that they are more interested in you if you do Final Fantasy than if you're a Disney Cosplayer. Which I find really sad, because Disney is an essential element of Kingdom Hearts. People, especially slash-fans *cough* tend to forget that, it seems.

~Up Next~
Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #103
Android raptor
Batshit Ghinius Fangirl

Like pretty much everyone else has said, Hetalia and Homestuck are probably the two worst ones at the moment. I've personally experienced Hetalia fans acting a fool (RUNNING through crowded hallways, being too loud, etc), and I've heard so many horror stories about both it's not even funny (Homestucks trashing the area where their meet was at Momocon, throwing a TV out a hotel room, harassing my friend to change the time and date for the Gundam meet at AWA despite them already having three others and him reserving the meet months in advance, groping and sexual harassment from both, etc). Certainly both fandoms have plenty of great people, but unfortunately there's a fair share of idiots as well.

I think that's the case with pretty much every fandom once it reaches a certain size, ESPECIALLY if it has a high percentage of young and immature participants.

And while it's long past its heyday, I think the Gundam Wing fandom deserves a mention as well. Aside from being pretty much the Hetalia fandom of back when, some of them STILL carry out the same stupid grudges and wank long after shit should've died down. Based on a friends testimony, cosplaying Relena still puts you at risk for harassment and hate, and I know I've seen people online still going on the same rants, bashing, and hating on people with different opinions.

I know some people have mentioned the Onceler/Lorax fandom, but honestly my experiences with them have been nothing but positive. I guess the crowd in other areas might be different.

Costumes
Uniform!Ghinius Sakhalin (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Elpeo Puru (ZZ Gundam), Kyoji Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Jirarudan/Lawrence III/the collector (Pokemon: the Movie 2000), Uniform!Quess Paraya (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack) Gijinka!Scar (The Lion King)
Android raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #104
EvilLittleKiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curucar View Post

I am part of St. Louis Can Town, a Homestuck charity group. I know that there are other Can Town organizations like ours in other cities, and every month we have a canned food drive for local food pantries and humane societies in our area. If us Homestuck fans (or any fandom) can work together to better an area, then that's fantastic.
And gaming is a fun hobby. Sure, you sit around and only move your hands, but with reading, writing, sewing, art, making posts on this website, etc. you are doing the same thing. And you aren't the head of the fandom's finances, so who are you to dictate what they spend their money on? Guess what? The money you spend on anything could go to something to better the world. Think of that next time you buy something.

Currently working on:
Deandra -- MPGiS

My favorite cosplays:
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck

Unread 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #105
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Ah Homestuck, Hetalia, and Doctor Who.

With Homestuck, I find Homestuck trolls particularly annoying, since I'm not sure who sealed their paint or not so I always have to avoid them. I don't want to stain my cosplay. I have personal reasons for being bothered by the Homestuck panels. But other then that, I'm pretty okay with them and want to cosplay a character that has a zentai suit to avoid the paint. In Hetalia, I think this just may be the case of me being older fan of the series? The Hetalia group in my area are high schoolers who get all hyper at conventions and ask stupid things from me. >.>'

Doctor Who fandom is the most annoying to me. No, everything does not revolve around the Doctors and the Tardis. Stop trying to make everything about it and understand that yes there are people who don't watch Doctor Who or don't like Doctor Who. The fandom here almost never shuts up about it and there are a bunch who are just plain rude about it. I know random stuff about the series just from people asking/talking/rant to me about it... It just bugs the crap out of me...

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote