Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #106
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Every fandom is annoying because stupid is everywhere. Similarly, every fandom is great because for every idiot, there is (I like to think) a mature, responsible person. Stupidity stands out more, though, because it's loud and... stupid.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #107
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
So jumping the gun like that and saying "85% of anyone who is in that fandom is annoying and terrible" is completely untrue.
In all fairness (S)He didn't say that. (S)He said 85% of the immature people. NOT 85% of the fandom.

So if a small con has 20 immature people and 17 of them are Homestucks (out of dozens and dozens of Homestucks), that's 85% of the immature people being involved in the fandom while still being a far cry from 85% of the fandom.

Anyway...since my husband and I are very obviously not teenagers I think we're left more to our own devices. We've never been harassed for any reason. But once when I was standing in line to buy food a kid dressed in an Organization XIII jacket in front of me decided he had to tell the Homestuck in front of him how much the Homestuck fandom sucks...

Oh how people forget...

But I don't let what other people dictate what I enjoy. I was drawn to Hetalia on premise alone. I was drawn to Kingdom Hearts because I was a Disney fan before I was a fan of anything else. A cosplay horde may lead me to new things. Where there are obnoxious people there is also a lot of enthusiasm. I figure if so many people see something good in it, it might be worth checking out. Sometimes I become a fan too (Homestuck). Sometimes I just appreciate it as a good show but only watch it now and then (MLP). Sometimes I understand the hype but really didn't care for it much (Avatar the Last Airbender).

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)

Last edited by Cyanna : 01-08-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #108
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

its just that the newer fandoms are not as accepting of people with different interests than them. they see anyone who is not into what they are into as a hater.
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #109
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

Every fandom has a degree of annoyance. Sailor Moon will have hardcore purists, Homestuck will have yaoi fangirls, and 50 Shades of Grey will have confused fangirls. I'll admit, it takes me a while to get into a series with an overwhelming fandom. It took me a while to get into series like Toradora, Haruhi, and Death Note.

However, one fandom I'm just confused with (or just need clarification if anything else...) is "SuperWhoLock." Can someone clarify this to me? I get being called a BBC fan, but Supernatural is not a BBC show. Help? ^^;
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #110
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

All of them... because no fandom is exempt from idiots.

STUPID PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE KIDS
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #111
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletRhapsody View Post
Every fandom has a degree of annoyance. Sailor Moon will have hardcore purists, Homestuck will have yaoi fangirls, and 50 Shades of Grey will have confused fangirls. I'll admit, it takes me a while to get into a series with an overwhelming fandom. It took me a while to get into series like Toradora, Haruhi, and Death Note.

However, one fandom I'm just confused with (or just need clarification if anything else...) is "SuperWhoLock." Can someone clarify this to me? I get being called a BBC fan, but Supernatural is not a BBC show. Help? ^^;
super who lock is a fandom of doctor who and the show sherlock i think, but most american shows are spin offs from ones from the uk.
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #112
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I tried to look up exactly what that was all about, but I'm still confused...
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #113
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
All of them... because no fandom is exempt from idiots.

STUPID PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE KIDS
Right. I'd like to know what people think are good fandoms because I'm sure I'd be able to dig up a couple of horror stories for whatever they give me.

Also much of the time I see people who will exaggerate things just so they have an excuse to hate on a whole fandom. I remember seeing someone say she hated Hetalia fans because a Hungary cosplayer bumped into her and didn't apologize. I've bumped into people without noticing so sounds like a honest mistake. Besides that's not something worth dwelling on, and this is coming from a person who is known to dwell on things.
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #114
xIkuna

Quote:

I got this! So, "Superwholock" is a term for cross overs from the series Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock. People often make videos and basically make it a whole new show, like this one: Click. I think it started on tumblr...

Cosplays:
Clara Oswald- Doctor Who
Maggie Greene- The Walking Dead
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #115
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

Adding another point to the Hetalia list. I made one cosplay from Hetalia and plan to do a few more. I have met genuinely nice people that into the fandom, but a lot of the rabid fan stories scare me ;_; Maybe when the fandom dies down a bit, I'll continue with the other Hetalia cosplays.
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #116
Kid-Krazi
Wants pie

HOMESTUCK! I sit next to homestuck fans during lunch and they are ALWAYS screaming about butt babies and i dont even know what else!! They scare me! One of them even jumped up on the lunch table and screamed at the top of her lungs. Ive read Homestuck and its OKAY but i quite honestly think its overly cosplayed.. Who ever went to Anime Expo 2012 knows what im talkin' bout. By the way, some of my closest friends are HUGE Homestuck fans and i love them! I guess some people just dont know how to act in public.... <_<
Conker: Conker's Bad Fur Day
2 Star Mako Mankanshoku: Kill La Kill
STOP BEING A GUEST AND JOIN ALREADY

Follow me on tumblr
Follow me on Instagram@ hai_kid
Kid-Krazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #117
AnimeAndMusical

I was in a really crowded room standing in line next to a group of Homestuck cosplayers (I had previously tried to get interested in the story, but I didn't like it). Any way one of them had an airhorn and decided that everyone would like to be deafened by it, they blasted it quite near to several people's ears (including mine). About five blasts and literally hundreds of glares later they said something along the lines of: "people aren't enjoying this as much as they should" and put it away.

I mean really? Do you have to test something like that to know people won't like it? Have a bit of common sense.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #118
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Right. I'd like to know what people think are good fandoms because I'm sure I'd be able to dig up a couple of horror stories for whatever they give me.

Also much of the time I see people who will exaggerate things just so they have an excuse to hate on a whole fandom. I remember seeing someone say she hated Hetalia fans because a Hungary cosplayer bumped into her and didn't apologize. I've bumped into people without noticing so sounds like a honest mistake. Besides that's not something worth dwelling on, and this is coming from a person who is known to dwell on things.
I have my share of good Hetalia fans and bad ones alike, most of the bad ones tend to be younger, dumber fans. Same with Naruto Kingdom Hearts and other popular fandoms fans I've met, I find the younger ones tend to be the larger part of the annoying groups. BUT this is just what I've encountered mostly, I have met older annoying people too.

Oh stupid people exist everywhere
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #119
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I have to concur with the statement: stupid people exist everywhere.

Young immature people, are just younger immature people regardless of what fandom their are in. They just happen to be louder and a lot harder to ignore than the good mature people wearing the same costume. :P
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #120
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
its just that the newer fandoms are not as accepting of people with different interests than them. they see anyone who is not into what they are into as a hater.
Agreed. I have no problem with people having different interests with me, and if someone says "Oh, I'm not into [series]", then I just won't talk about it with them. XD

However, there are "haters" that can be more annoying than the fandom in question.... but those kinds of people are few and far between in my experience.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote