Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Falclon

Worbla vs Wonderflex?

So today I stumbled on Worbla's Finest Art while looking up wonderflex tutorials, and while I understand the similarities, what are the differences in the two? From what I understand, worbla handles curved surfaces better but breaks easier (this may be very wrong). The place I saw it on was Kamui cosplay and I noticed that she uses the two for different things, which I suppose I would understand better if I knew the differences more. Also, are there still no US sellers of Worbla? (I wouldn't mind ordering it internationally if need be)

Unread 10-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

This is the first I've heard of WFA. From what little information I can find, the major difference, I suspect is going to be that Wonderflex has a woven netting (sort of like a single ply of cheesecloth) bonded onto one side that serves to reinforce the material and allows it to stretch more evenly along the surface as it is being thermoformed. From what I can see, WFA doesn't have this.

Sometimes that netting can be annoying, because if you stretch the wonderflex far (for more complex shapes with really tight curves), it can cause the checkerboard pattern to telegraph through the other side, giving you a square bumpy texture to the surface. It's a pain to sand/smooth this down when it happens. However, with a bit of experience, you learn to control the temperature, so this is usually not a big deal.
Unread 10-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Falclon

That would explain why I heard that worbla is weaker than wonderflex, I'm sure the netting makes it stronger. Thanks there really isn't much info about it yet, but I was seeing if anyone can tell me more before I go and spend a lot on it. It does seem to be useful based off what I've seen in videos though.