Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 09-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Mike.g

Lightbulb G1 Transformer Constructicon Costumes

My 2 boys are 6 and 8 and they love transformers. I got them hooked on g1 at an early age. And I'll admit I'm living vicariously thought them now because I am building a transformer costume that can actually transform. First we had to figured out who to be. I personally wanted to create something that hasn't been done yet. Luckily last year I got my boys the entire devastator set and they think that they are awesome. So I had to sketch up all of them to see which ones would work best as a costume. We ended up going with Mixmaster and Longhaul.

I've never done anything like this, so I have been searching the net for examples and using my artist/animation background to come up with a working costume. I created a cardboard test where we kept making changes until it sized up right. Once I completed the test part I would use plastic board to build the final. In a perfect world you would use or see duct tape. But I'm on a time crunch so hot glue and DT are my friend.

I've been working on this for a while, but most of the supplies finally arrived so I'm now in high gear to get both costumes done. I've posted several photos on my deviantart page.

---------------------------

First test animation to make sure this could work!

Next I created a prototype of the main parts and modified them til they fit right.

Now that I had good fitting test parts, I re-created them using light plastic colored sheets.

Making sure the final one fits.

I also created the barrel using large construction paper wrapped around foam wheels and small stick framing that I got at Hobby Lobby.
Mike.g is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
Mike.g

Cool

Both Legs are done, and I am starting work on the Truck Cab.

Mike.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
Marthony

This is neat! Love the animation to describe how it all works. How have they turned out?

You may notice 3/4 of my costumes are Transformers. =) I hadn't looked in this sub-forum before now.