Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Luffypuffy678

Navi Cosplay [In progress]

This is my basic frame and base for the dress and wings for my Navi cosplay. Im afraid it doesnt look, "Navi" enough. Im trying to get a white corset to put over the purple velvet if possible.[IMG][/IMG] [
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

I'm also debating keeping the sleeves long or short. This is so difficult because Navi is a very loose cosplay. Besides blue and white for colors theres no other factors. I'm going to hold a sign that says "Hey Listen" like the other cosplays. I just need some other opinions.
Luffypuffy678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I say on the skirt maybe some kind of lights? That would be nice. Also if you can get some ears like link im sure ppl will know exactly who you are.

Working on
Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn (Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn)
Tsunade (Naruto)

Last edited by Rangiku12 : 09-09-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Yet Another
Forever Sleepy

I think that the skirt being white should the only white part, aside from the wig/makeup/wings./ Keep the rest blue? She's like, 90% blue.

Skyrim Casual: 30 % Done!
Kaylee Frye (Firefly): 40% Done!
Jem Carstairs, Oswin Oswald, Magnus Bane, Pikachu, Trainer White: Done!
Yet Another is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Elita-1
Dat supersaiyan swagger

What are you doing for makeup? I love the idea of getting elf ears, perhaps blue ben nye face paint?
LED lights would really get the point across as well, maybe a 'brooch' or something in the middle of the top that lights up?

~There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life. ~
Elita-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
ZeldaTetraSheik
ZeldaTetraSheik

I think this is adorable!
ZeldaTetraSheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
TheByakuya
Glitter glue fan

I think what can help you in designing a cosplay for a canon character, but one whom we don't really see (other than a glowing ball of light), is looking at the designs of other characters in the same series. In thinking back on other zelda characters, I think the choice of the lace around the neckline is a bit awkward. The lace doesn't seem to fit with the more stylized designs of zelda characters, and I think the satin finish is off, too. I think Navi is an energetic and bouncy character, and for that reason I think that collar thing really ages the costume. I'd either remove it or simplify it.

I'd suggest making the sleeves short for the same reason that Navi is a playful character. If you look at a lot of the Kokiri costumes, many of them have short sleeves (except for Saria, and if you'll recall she turns out to be the sage of the forest so it makes sense for her character to be more mature than the other kokiri). I think shorter sleeves would make the costume feel a bit more carefree.

I wonder if this could help you with addressing the "Navi-ness" of the costume. Also consider that Navi is from OoT and not some of the grittier/more detailed zeldas we've seen like Twilight Princess. OoT's costume styles have bright colours, and bold, flat, patterns. I'd keep the costume as playful as possible!
TheByakuya is offline   Reply With Quote