Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Allora13

Sword Art Online Sachi Armor Help

So, I'm very new to the cosplay world. I've only done two cosplays before, but those were easy enough that I could just piece the outfits together by buying clothing. Now, I found a cosplay that I'd love to be able to pull off(Sachi), however the main thing tripping me up is the armor. Like I said, I'm really new, so I have no idea where to even start. I've tried looking at craft foam, but I'm not sure this will work the best. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm one of those people on a kinda small budget, so cheaper alternatives would be awesome!

Allora13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
griffstar
Fan girls are scary...

Your cheapest choice would be to create the armor out of craft foam.

This tutorial may help you out.
http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper...helmsdeep.html
griffstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

YAY A SACHI COSPLAYER!!

*Ahem* sorry..I love Sachi..

Anyway, cardboard is super easy for this..And free..You can look up things like "cardboard chest plate" or something. And what griffstar said isn't really right..the cheapest would be cardboard because unlike foam that you have to buy, cardboard is free..They take pretty much the same tutorial, except you don't really have to use something to make cardboard stiff like you would craft foam. Just gesso, paint and seal once it's together.

Also looking up cardboard (or other cheap material) Asuna tutorials would help..They have the same armor.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
SukottoTLP
TimeLordProductions

Stay away from cardboard unless you're seasoned with body filler and other compounds to remove all the imperfections. You can make a "bust of yourself by having a friends wrap your torso in duct tape(wear a shirt you don't car about) and then you can use that to make a perfect fitting pattern for your body. Then use EVA foam (garage mats or yoga mats are the easiest source to get from a retail store) and you can just transfer your pattern over, cut it out, seal with a sealing compound (so many options in the craft foam FAQs) and paint. Hope this gives you some direction
SukottoTLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
SukottoTLP
TimeLordProductions

Make a duct tape "cast" of your torso (have a friend wrap your torso up in a tshirt you don't car about) and then you'll have the perfect template for your body. Then us EVA foam )garage mats or yoga mats are the easiest ways to get it retail) and cut the pieces out and assemble and paint. It's super simply to seal with any off the shelf sealant and will be much easier to work with as a newcomer. Stay away from cardboard as it shows EVERY imperfection and will be EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. Hope this helps!
SukottoTLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
griffstar
Fan girls are scary...

Fair enough, I concede to you Jason. Cardboard is cheaper (free), lol. Both methods have their pros and cons.

Either way, good luck Allora!
Unread 10-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffstar View Post
Fair enough, I concede to you Jason. Cardboard is cheaper (free), lol. Both methods have their pros and cons.

Either way, good luck Allora!
Oh don't worry about that. I just figured it's an option that's cheaper if they really wanna go as cheap as possible..Your materials are just as good for a great end result, and it's one of my other loved methods, so I didn't mean anything mean by it..Sorry
Unread 10-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Allora13

Thank you all for the suggestions! I actually have both craft foam and cardboard lying around, so I'll try both and see which on works out better! The tutorial also looks pretty easy to follow, which is really nice. Now I at least have a better idea of where to start, so hopefully I'll be able to get this to work out!

Last edited by Allora13 : 10-29-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Unread 10-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Allora13

Oh, sorry, one more question then... I think I've got a general idea of what to do now, but the design of the armor is being a little... tricky. Looking at the pictures, it appears to be made from all one piece, with no breaks in it. Should i just find a place to basically put in a cut, or..... ? Again, any advice would be wonderful, thanks.
Unread 11-01-2014, 02:53 AM   #10
griffstar
Fan girls are scary...

LOL, no worries Jason.

As for your next question Allora; the armor does appear to be made as one piece. Still, for practical reasons (getting it on being the main one), you could add seams along the side(s) so that your arms/shadows mostly cover it.
Unread 11-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

If your material od long enough to wrap around you, just make a back seam. That way you can put it on similar to if you were to put on a bra (if you know how to hook it behind you, it's the same idea because this also has straps). Then you can have a closure on it. I can't really help you there as I also have yet to figure that out for my own..lolIf you do foam you might be able to use hook/eye sets like a bra has..
Unread 11-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Allora13

Alrighty, well, I guess I'll just have to try it out and see which way works best then. I don't exactly have a lot of time to work on it at the moment (trying to plan a lot in advance, i procrastinate a lot), but at least that should give me some time to think about it! Thanks!