Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 10-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
NewAgeSpartan

On-Stage "Fight"

I poked through a few different threads, but I couldn't find anything on this topic. Is it ok to do a scripted "fight" between two characters.

Specifically, I want to do a recreation of the knife fight between Jack Krauser and Leon S. Kennedy from RE4 (with modifications). My friend and I are both Martial Artists and have been for some time.

I'm extremely new to this, so I don't know what is acceptable as far as "violence" in performance.

Thanks in advance for the help,

-Spartan
NewAgeSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Yeah it's perfectly fine.

The general rule of thumb when it comes to masquerades is that so long as the content is PG-13 then it's all good. So basically if it doesn't have inappropriate language (swearing or sexual language) or inappropriate action (sexual themes) then you're perfectly fine.

Of course there are other rules and specific ones to certain masquerades, but I'm certain they don't apply to your skit idea.

But in relation to your skit, here's a tip. Being both martial artists will make it easier to build the choreography. But when it comes to fight skits, two keys to remember is be very flashy with your movements and exaggerate. An important thing to remember is timing when matching it against any preset music or voices. When on stage you're going to have hundreds of eyes watching you which is going to amp up your adrenaline. So stay cool and rehearse the skit till the point you can do it blindfolded as the worse thing that can happen is that you're not moving in sync with the voices and/or music.

Well I hope this helped.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
NewAgeSpartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Dawn View Post
Yeah it's perfectly fine.

The general rule of thumb when it comes to masquerades is that so long as the content is PG-13 then it's all good. So basically if it doesn't have inappropriate language (swearing or sexual language) or inappropriate action (sexual themes) then you're perfectly fine.

Of course there are other rules and specific ones to certain masquerades, but I'm certain they don't apply to your skit idea.

But in relation to your skit, here's a tip. Being both martial artists will make it easier to build the choreography. But when it comes to fight skits, two keys to remember is be very flashy with your movements and exaggerate. An important thing to remember is timing when matching it against any preset music or voices. When on stage you're going to have hundreds of eyes watching you which is going to amp up your adrenaline. So stay cool and rehearse the skit till the point you can do it blindfolded as the worse thing that can happen is that you're not moving in sync with the voices and/or music.

Well I hope this helped.
Thanks a lot! This was more than I was looking for!
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Devkyu

Fight skits are always great! Be sure to practice a lot, though, and that slow, sluggish movements can really sort of break it. A good example I found a while back of a well choreographed fight would be this.

Just be sure to check in with your convention's masquerade rules. I know for my local con, due to the nature of the stage being a temporary fixture (aka, a flimsy piece of crap), none of the skits could have sudden physical movements, jumping, or a lot of people dancing on the stage at one time.
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
NewAgeSpartan

Hey, thanks a lot to both of you. This really has helped.
Unread 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
tereshkova2001

Having done martial arts performances as part of masquerades, I do want to stress one thing. Be sure to practice in full costume. I know you'll be finishing the costume as you work on the choreography (or at least I am), but you have to have enough time to do full dress rehearsals. Don't hit yourself in the wig with your lightsaber on stage because you don't know how big it is, the way I did.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
NewAgeSpartan

I will certainly do that teresh. Especially since I have to wear boots and that will make it a lot more difficult.
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Midnight Dawn

BTW, are you going to do this skit from the exact scene?

There was a part where Krauser and Leon jump from a high area breaking their fall with a roll.

If you're going to do this scene you'll need to experiment in full cosplay as well as similar flooring to the stage as there are a few things that could go wrong here like props breaking or slipping out, costume ripping due to physical stress, or you injuring yourself due to unfamiliarity with doing said stunts in cosplay. So remember to keep this mind as well.
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
NewAgeSpartan

We are not going to go "shot by shot". It's going to have a few familiar shots, mostly the in-close knife slashes. We are going to add lots of fancy kicks and such. We probably won't do the roll, since it is going to be our first skit. It would suck a lot and be pretty embarrassing if we slipped while trying to do the roll. Also, neither of us have done stunt rolling before lol.
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
Midnight Dawn

Can either of you do flips? because that would be awesome.
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
NewAgeSpartan

I never learned to. My buddy might be able to though. He has studied more arts that would teach that. The one's I've studied are more for self defense or tournament fighting.
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Midnight Dawn

Then I'd suggest you'd learn the basic cartwheel and butterfly flip. Although they are basic they are still impressive to look at.

If so, there are youtube tutorials for these kinds of things.
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
NewAgeSpartan

That's a good idea. I've always been interested in learning how to, so now's a good time to. Plus it would look awesome with how the fight is going to flow.

Last edited by NewAgeSpartan : 10-25-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: grammar