Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Ball Joint Doll Input - Angelic Layer

I'm looking for input on Ball Joint Dolls. My cosplay group is looking into doing an Angelic Layer impression with dolls. However, none of us can shell out $200 a pop for the dolls and we are all pretty clueless as to quality etc. I've looking at Volks, Junky Spot, BJD collectasy, and Dream of Dolls. I've even looked into making my own dolls. I got the idea of using the BJD's after deciding that the Barbie Little Black Dress Dolls and the Barbie Fashionistas weren't what we wanted but if I could merge the two that what be perfect. Basically, I just need advice. I'm looking for an inexpensive doll that can be turned into an Angelic Layer Doll. The line should have ball joints, multiple skin types, and various features. Thank you in advance. Pictures below.

Angelic Layer:http://lovingthemachine2012.blogspot...-for-7312.htmlhttp://organizationasg.kokidokom.net...hment_id=10964http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelic_Layer

Unread 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

The cheapest for a decent quality would be Bobobie and Resinsoul, but you'd be paying about $140+ per doll (unless you go for a smaller doll which wouldn't be to scale). You're not going to find anything of decent quality for cheaper.
http://www.resinsoul.com/
http://www.bobobie.com/

Or if you're ok with slightly smaller dolls, Obitsu is an option. They aren't BJDs, but they have joints similar to BJDs and can be customized. Junky Spot has a section for Obitsu, and they run from $25+. However, Obitsu only comes in white skin and normal skin.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.

Last edited by ThakYuki : 10-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Cellomanlove

If you can get away from the BJD a bit, you could always buy a Monster High doll (at target, walmart, etc.) which do have joints, just not ball joints. The issue is, there aren't a lot of "normal" skin tone choices and you'd probably have to modify them quite a bit to make them look like an angelic layer doll. Link
Cellomanlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

What scale would they be? I'm looking for something about the size of a Barbie. Volks looks like it might have a line that's right, the 1/6 dolls and parts http://www.volksusa.com/1-6-dollfie-parts.html and http://www.volksusa.com/1-6-finished-dollfie.html. They are 27 cm or slightly smaller then a Barbie. The only problem is that some of the 1/6 line are discontinued.

Edit: What type of doll is the Obitsu? Your right. They do look like what I'm look for. Body, head with wig, and decal eyes look like they'll run 35. A price I can live with. What is the quality like? Better then the Volks dolls and the line hasn't been discontinued.

Last edited by Ororo Monroe : 10-25-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
QueenPegasus

Heya I just compared my volks dollfie (eb beauty) and my obitsu, obitsu model has tighter joints, so much more likely to hold a pose, you can also get a vinyl torso which provides a better fitting for clothes. I can provide pictures if you wish (I only have the bodies not any heads)
QueenPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
What scale would they be? I'm looking for something about the size of a Barbie. Volks looks like it might have a line that's right, the 1/6 dolls and parts http://www.volksusa.com/1-6-dollfie-parts.html and http://www.volksusa.com/1-6-finished-dollfie.html. They are 27 cm or slightly smaller then a Barbie. The only problem is that some of the 1/6 line are discontinued.

Edit: What type of doll is the Obitsu? Your right. They do look like what I'm look for. Body, head with wig, and decal eyes look like they'll run 35. A price I can live with. What is the quality like? Better then the Volks dolls and the line hasn't been discontinued.
Obitsu are made from a different material than Volks. Volks dolls are insanely expensive as well. I have heard many good things about Obitsu, though I have not owned one myself (I will eventually own a body). Volks are held together with elastic through the joints, while Obitsu is held together by pegs (similar to Barbies).

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellomanlove View Post
If you can get away from the BJD a bit, you could always buy a Monster High doll (at target, walmart, etc.) which do have joints, just not ball joints. The issue is, there aren't a lot of "normal" skin tone choices and you'd probably have to modify them quite a bit to make them look like an angelic layer doll. Link
Sorry I didn't respond. I think your post are delayed because you are a new account.

I considered Monster High and Brats dolls, but they simply are not what I'm looking for. I think there would be too much modification to make it worth it. Alot like the Barbie dolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenPegasus View Post
Heya I just compared my volks dollfie (eb beauty) and my obitsu, obitsu model has tighter joints, so much more likely to hold a pose, you can also get a vinyl torso which provides a better fitting for clothes. I can provide pictures if you wish (I only have the bodies not any heads)
Thank you for the comparisons. Another collecter I talked with clearly prefered her doll from Junky Spot because of it's Vinyl body and posing aspects. I'd love pictures, but why are your dolls headless? Are you doing a Wenseday Adams cosplay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
Obitsu are made from a different material than Volks. Volks dolls are insanely expensive as well. I have heard many good things about Obitsu, though I have not owned one myself (I will eventually own a body). Volks are held together with elastic through the joints, while Obitsu is held together by pegs (similar to Barbies).
It sounds like comparing Apple with Microsoft. Both good, could be better, but it really depends on what the user wants.
Unread 10-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
Sorry I didn't respond. I think your post are delayed because you are a new account.

I considered Monster High and Brats dolls, but they simply are not what I'm looking for. I think there would be too much modification to make it worth it. Alot like the Barbie dolls.

Thank you for the comparisons. Another collecter I talked with clearly prefered her doll from Junky Spot because of it's Vinyl body and posing aspects. I'd love pictures, but why are your dolls headless? Are you doing a Wenseday Adams cosplay?

It sounds like comparing Apple with Microsoft. Both good, could be better, but it really depends on what the user wants.
Many people only buy the bodies to put their Pullip heads onto, as Pullip bodies are known to be fragile.

It's more like comparing apples to oranges, both are fruit, but each have their own individual appeals and different build.

Unread 10-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

So what are Pullip heads?
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Pullips are large headed vinyl dolls, that use a similar but crappier bodies to the obitsu so people switch the bodies. The heads aren't ideal for what you want, and a basic pullip can run $80+

Just go with obitsu. Its your cheapest option, there are different head designs, eyes, decals, etc.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
QueenPegasus

Sorry for the late response, just came back from a convention.

I am indeed a pullip collector, alot of them uses obitsu bodies because the pullip bodies aren't very pose-able. Some use volks as a darker skin isn't easily available from obitsu. I will post pictures up shortly =)
QueenPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Thank you. I was just curious what they where. I wasn't planning on using the Pullips heads.