Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
SephirothFF7

YYH Bui's Weapon

I need some suggestions or some sort of tutorial on how to make a huge axe into several detachable parts and reattach it when I am at a con. I would prefer the material being somewhat lightweight and sturdy (like able to attach it and not wiggle or something like it will fall off). I had an idea about the top part but it might be too complicated but any help would be great. *Thank you in advance!

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/605...l10ch07pag.jpg
SephirothFF7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Can you please define 'light weight' in your terms?

From here I can give a better description of how you can build this.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

the only way i can see this do able is to make it foamcraft, and have the parts use wood dowel for support, and screw the pieces together,

unfortunatly im only able to concept things, i would have little clue how to do any of it

if you had a bunch of dowels, foam and tools layed out in front of you, and i was standing around watching you make it, i could tell you genneraly how it should come together,
but not actually HOW to accomplish anything

to start id use a large 2in diameter "curtain rod" dowel (1 foot taller than you)
and a large hole eye bolt
and you can make the axe head like a 3-d kite

but something that big is gona catch the wind really bad, so itll break easy on breezy days
or swinging it

like i said, i wish i could help, but i dont really know what you could do to make it work
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
SephirothFF7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Dawn View Post
Can you please define 'light weight' in your terms?

From here I can give a better description of how you can build this.
well for the detailing I was thinking of using insulation foam then layer it with paper mache but as for the handle I wasn't sure most of my friends suggested pvc pipe (no experience so no clue). Other then that was I thought to be "lightweight" but I guess around 10 lbs is lightweight because I will be holding it with one hand only and hopefully be able to swing (not at someone) like from the scene against his opponent lol.
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
SephirothFF7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
the only way i can see this do able is to make it foamcraft, and have the parts use wood dowel for support, and screw the pieces together,

unfortunatly im only able to concept things, i would have little clue how to do any of it

if you had a bunch of dowels, foam and tools layed out in front of you, and i was standing around watching you make it, i could tell you genneraly how it should come together,
but not actually HOW to accomplish anything

to start id use a large 2in diameter "curtain rod" dowel (1 foot taller than you)
and a large hole eye bolt
and you can make the axe head like a 3-d kite

but something that big is gona catch the wind really bad, so itll break easy on breezy days
or swinging it

like i said, i wish i could help, but i dont really know what you could do to make it work
It sounds like a good plan, at least better than me lol I never really made any huge weapon besides smaller props and Devil jin so whatever little information helps me. I am just collecting information of methods to see which one is better for me to pack up and travel easier.
Unread 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Midnight Dawn

10 lbs is really pushing it considering the size of the Bui's weapon as it'll more then likely weigh more then that. But considering your request, I'd suggest using a wooden dowel as the core and foam for the rest of it.

The idea is that for every section, you'll have three wooden dowels to connect to the others like an electrical plug going into an outlet. One will be the main core while the other two will act as supports so it doesn't flip flop around as you move. Now contrary to belief, PVC pipe is heavier in relation to a wooden dowel plus has more friction. So stick with the wooden dowel.

Also forget the paper mache. If you don't put on enough layers it'll just fall apart. So if this insulation foam is the same as other kinds of foam, then I suggest using a glue and water mix to harden it as you'll next to put on a few layers. Now this method is not only easier in relation to paper mache but also has a smoother finish. Afterwards paint it the appropriate colors and finishing it off with an acrylic polish future wash as it'll give your weapon a nice metal look to it.

I hope none this was too confusing or hard to follow, and I hope this helped.
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
SephirothFF7

Quote:
10 lbs is really pushing it considering the size of the Bui's weapon as it'll more then likely weigh more then that. But considering your request, I'd suggest using a wooden dowel as the core and foam for the rest of it.

The idea is that for every section, you'll have three wooden dowels to connect to the others like an electrical plug going into an outlet. One will be the main core while the other two will act as supports so it doesn't flip flop around as you move. Now contrary to belief, PVC pipe is heavier in relation to a wooden dowel plus has more friction. So stick with the wooden dowel.

Also forget the paper mache. If you don't put on enough layers it'll just fall apart. So if this insulation foam is the same as other kinds of foam, then I suggest using a glue and water mix to harden it as you'll next to put on a few layers. Now this method is not only easier in relation to paper mache but also has a smoother finish. Afterwards paint it the appropriate colors and finishing it off with an acrylic polish future wash as it'll give your weapon a nice metal look to it.

I hope none this was too confusing or hard to follow, and I hope this helped.
Ah I see, the information was quite helpful and it wasn't confusing at all but I mean if it can't be 10 lbs it won't kill me as long as it's not 20 lbs and higher I can deal with it. As for the three wooden dowel to connect it am I using screws to connect them or different sizes? I never really worked with wooden dowel for any weapon prop so I'm not sure what to use for connecting them.
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Midnight Dawn

In order to cut down on weight everything will be made of cardboard and foam right? So screws won't be necessary unless there are going to be other wood parts in it. Although I would suggest it. A good strong base made of wood makes a prop stronger. However that would make it heavier.

Now as I was pointing out in my analogy, this will be like a plug and outlet kind of design. So the three dowels will be glued to one section. As for the other section, there will be holes or some compartment like design which will allow you to plug the pieces together.
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
SephirothFF7

Quote:
In order to cut down on weight everything will be made of cardboard and foam right? So screws won't be necessary unless there are going to be other wood parts in it. Although I would suggest it. A good strong base made of wood makes a prop stronger. However that would make it heavier.

Now as I was pointing out in my analogy, this will be like a plug and outlet kind of design. So the three dowels will be glued to one section. As for the other section, there will be holes or some compartment like design which will allow you to plug the pieces together.
Ah I see, that's what I was assuming at first. For the most part yeah there will be some cardboard like the ax part will be cardboard base and rest is foam. so it's sort similar to like pvc pipes with the threads or whatever they call those things which I don't know lol.
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Midnight Dawn

So is the inside hollow?
Unread 10-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
SephirothFF7

Quote:
So is the inside hollow?
Yeah it is
Unread 10-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #12
Midnight Dawn

Alright, slight modification then.

What is the strongest glue you've got?
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
SephirothFF7

Quote:
Alright, slight modification then.

What is the strongest glue you've got?
um the strongest glue I got I would say gorilla glue and super glue at the moment and oh for the insulation form I wasn't being specific before but I am using the spray can one like the ones you use for fixing plumbing and etc.
Unread 10-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Midnight Dawn

Not sure of the strength of those. But if they work for you that's fine.

So same idea applies at sticking the dowel on one part and the plug like holders on the other.
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
verdatum
Extremely registered user

You can always go inflatable. Ya heat-weld pieces of vinyl sheet (the stuff used to make beach-balls), add a valve stem (salvaged from a beach-ball or better yet, a knock-off Areo-bed). Blow it up, leak check it, spray it with plastic primer followed by a pretty paint job. Once the paint has fully cured, you can deflate it and transport it easily and inflate it at the con. Having one of those battery-powered inflatable bed pumps on hand is a good idea.

Because wide surfaces bow out when inflated, you likely need to design some reinforcing bits in the center before fusing up the outside edges, particularly in this case on the blade cheeks. The final effect ends up being a bit cartoony, but still quite an attention grabber.