Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
MayonakaAme
doing her own thing;

Mari Illustrious Makinami

Okay, overall I'm looking for a semi-gentle critique, with suggestions as to how to improve it on V2 (which will be made from 4-way stretch vinyl).
The costume itself was made in a month between full-time work and full-time school, and real tears were shed over it to get it done before the NDK con. (It was one of those that I knew if I didn't crank it out early it would probably be done to death like Asuka.)

Anyway. Critique with suggestions is the aim, and anything else would be lovely as well. I think I can take it. Prolly. ;P

References (mostly, I just watched the movie a billion times; where the positioning of some of the details shifts all the time. haha)

and the costume folder lives:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/400158/

haruhi suzumiya - 95% complete
rin okumura - 0% complete
MayonakaAme is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
grimpirate

I think it came out great. Two things I noticed:

The breast plates should be perhaps a bit "cuppier" if that makes sense? Which is to say thinner than what they are and have a bit more pronounced curvature. Also, the vinyl could stand to be darted a little bit where it mates with the pink body suit. The fabric wrinkles caused by the stretching definitely detract from what would otherwise be ok. It might even look better if you make those cups in two parts leaving the seam down the middle.

Secondly, the other white plates along your abdomen tilt downward along the sides of the character as opposed to being completely horizontal. They recreate the shape of the ribs I would surmise. So do the ones along the hips.
grimpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
MayonakaAme
doing her own thing;

Thank you! I completely see what you're saying about the ridgey bits; the blue ones are a lot better than the white ones they really are too horizontal. ^^ I didn't even notice that at first.

And yeah i had SUCH a hard time with the breastplates. They're foam covered in the vinyl and they're darted- just not a full seam down the center. They're totally seperate pieces from the bodysuit and i might try making them in two pieces as you suggested. Would sewing them directly onto the suit maybe look better; or would that be too flat?

Thank you so much ^w^ I'm excited to give this one anothr go and your comments are very helpfullll ~

Unread 12-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
MayonakaAme
doing her own thing;

... anything else? haha I'm really taking these to heart before I remake it so lotsa feedback would be brilliant.

Unread 01-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Kit Foxfire
Bwark?

Hey, not bad! You make a really cute Mari! Having made this costume myself maybe I can tell you what I used for certain parts of mine to help you with your next one.

I think it's good that you're choosing a 4-way stretch vinyl, that should elevate the polish of it already. Vinyl is kind of a pain to work with but you seem to know what you're doing sewing wise so that should work wonderfully I think for the red parts of your costume you should sculpt them in 3D form-did you just use fabric for them on the first version? Having them be shiny and "inlaid" into your fabric would really help make the plugsuit look more realistic. For my "armor" parts I used wonderflex with vinyl overtop. It's a bit of a difficult and expensive material to work with-but you can always rework it and it really helped me get the sloped shapes like her shoulders and boob cups haha. I also used foamie, paperclay and cardboard for her other hard parts like her ribs and backpack.

Anyway I hope that helps! I can't wait to see your new version! Give yourself more than a month to make it, I can't imagine how stressful that was the first time around!
Kit Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
MayonakaAme
doing her own thing;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Foxfire View Post
Hey, not bad! You make a really cute Mari! Having made this costume myself maybe I can tell you what I used for certain parts of mine to help you with your next one.

I think it's good that you're choosing a 4-way stretch vinyl, that should elevate the polish of it already. Vinyl is kind of a pain to work with but you seem to know what you're doing sewing wise so that should work wonderfully I think for the red parts of your costume you should sculpt them in 3D form-did you just use fabric for them on the first version? Having them be shiny and "inlaid" into your fabric would really help make the plugsuit look more realistic. For my "armor" parts I used wonderflex with vinyl overtop. It's a bit of a difficult and expensive material to work with-but you can always rework it and it really helped me get the sloped shapes like her shoulders and boob cups haha. I also used foamie, paperclay and cardboard for her other hard parts like her ribs and backpack.

Anyway I hope that helps! I can't wait to see your new version! Give yourself more than a month to make it, I can't imagine how stressful that was the first time around!
You're amazing; thank you so much.
Your Mari is breathtaking!

I will have to try wonderflex; I'm not really knowledgeable in it, but I would like to learn.

Thank you again

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
OrganizedChaos

Randomly found this through a google image search I have also made this costume, and I may be able to add a little more. I had a lot of help with this, since our Asuka had already made one. Yours came out fantastic for your first one all on your own! What really helped me because I'm bigger than both my Asuka and Rei was making my suit into two pieces. The top is a bodysuit with long arms and snaps like a leotard between the legs. The pants were super high rise to compensate for how high the top was cut.

Our pants are also seamed with the black lines, and not just drawn or colored on. It helps a lot to have high-rise pants to hold everything in. My backpack is also connected to my neck-piece and snaps onto the entire suit. Its really easy to transport because of this

One last thing that made everything much cleaner was attaching flats to the inside of the pants. We also created the pattern of the shoe soles that you can see on the figure in your first photo. Hope this helps! Good luck on your second version!

Last edited by OrganizedChaos : 02-20-2013 at 10:33 PM.
OrganizedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote