Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 10-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Where you enjoy taking cosplay photos?

I'm sure most, if not all of us, take photo at conventions, but they are not the only option for cosplay photography.

Over the years, I've gone to some local meetups where cosplay is involved. These can be just as fun and rewarding compared to conventions. Some are large in the 50 people range, others just a handful. These are great for doing more elaborate lighting setups, or just getting some recreational/experimental photography in. The last one I went to was a small group meetup at an apple orchard where I used a small digital camera instead of a SLR.

What I haven't done much are private sessions with a single cosplay model or two outside of conventions or meetups/gatherings. More for the reason of few cosplayers that I know of in my city.

So what type of situations do you take cosplay photos?

Last edited by sukotsuto : 10-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.
sukotsuto is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

I wish I had something to contribute, but I don't take cosplay pictures outside of conventions.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

I've heavily involved with my local camera club, so I tend to bring a few cosplayers to the outings for interesting shots. It's usually a bit of a surprise to the people there, haha. For the better though! At least, it makes things a blast for me. =)

I also like going out and doing private shoots with cosplayers around the city and surrounding areas. The more interesting the scenery or architecture, the better!

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTempest View Post
I've heavily involved with my local camera club, so I tend to bring a few cosplayers to the outings for interesting shots. It's usually a bit of a surprise to the people there, haha. For the better though! At least, it makes things a blast for me. =)

I also like going out and doing private shoots with cosplayers around the city and surrounding areas. The more interesting the scenery or architecture, the better!
Good ideas there.

A friend and I did a photo session with a Blue Rose cosplayer in downtown Chicago around the "Cloud Gate" area. That was quite an experience. People were constantly asking for photo-ops with her and wondering what we were doing.
Unread 10-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Access

It mostly depends on the cosplay, but beaches, piers, or other places involving the coast is typically the default choice if it's something that goes with anything.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Hyura
Wallflower

For me it entirely depends on the character and series. Taking pictures of characters in places they wouldn't be just doesn't make sense ! I prefer places that are not packed with people because they tend to watch and bother me and my model. It's distracting. But it's worth it to get the perfect shots either way.

••• | Next Event :: NDK NYE 2012 "Unmasked" event by D.C.C !

L O V E ♥ to cosplay themed parties, make food & prop, & bring favorite series to life !
Hyura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyura View Post
For me it entirely depends on the character and series. Taking pictures of characters in places they wouldn't be just doesn't make sense !
I think photographing a character where they "wouldn't be" can make sense, if the intention is irony, or humor. However, here is an example of a photo shoot on a tropical island...Imagine if I had photographed her in the snow, or in the middle of a desert. ;-)

brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I prefer to shoot outside of cons, because frankly, environmentally speaking, cons suck (especially in France, where convention centers are typically big, noisy, badly lit halls). Also, I like to take my time and during cons cosplayers generally have very little time to pose for each individual photog.
Outside of cons, I shoot both in studio at home, and on location. Sometimes studio is better because the costume is not really fit to shoot outside, but otherwise I prefer to go on location, and have fun with said location. And the less people there are around, the better !

Last edited by Ashurachan : 11-02-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
I prefer to shoot outside of cons, because frankly, environmentally speaking, cons suck (especially in France, where convention centers are typically big, noisy, badly lit halls). Also, I like to take my time and during cons cosplayers generally have very little time to pose for each individual photog.
Outside of cons, I shoot both in studio at home, and on location. Sometimes studio is better because the costume is not really fit to shoot outside, but otherwise I prefer to go on location, and have fun with said location. And the less people there are around, the better !
This sums it up for me too. I prefer outdoor shoots.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Akahime
Red Princess

I like shooting outdoors in general. :3 Rather it is at the con or just doing private photoshoots with friends or other people (here in north there isn't a photographer who is willing to take free photos for cosplayers to show off their cosplay). I love nature and I find that it works for most characters so I always choose to go outside. or else, get a blank wall of a tall building just to focus on the cosplay outfit. :3 I very rarely take pictures inside. Haha.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?, Bambi/MC (Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story)

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote