Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 10-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
heaven_firings

Spray Paint and fabric?

I am trying to figure out how to make the robotic legs for Tavros (Homestuck).

A friend found this link and my heart stopped. Anyway I'm trying to figure out how to replicate them. I have a tutorial for the armor segments but I need to know how/what to attach them too.

She found somewhere that said "On a pair of pants that donít wrinkle easily, spray-paint them silver and add weathering and details with fabric paint."

Now I was wondering does that seem plausible? I would think the spray paint would make them really stiff unless there's some kind that doesn't dry like that. But I wouldn't know what kind that is.

I found an actual tutorial but they use athletic leggings and look kinda loose. I just wasn't left in as much awe of the second but it was still pretty good.

So thoughts on the spray paint issue and possibly recommendations on what to build on (type of pants)? Also, if anyone can figure out how many segments the legs are made of that'd be great, I'm having a hard time figuring that out.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

spray paint will make them stiff, tho there are fabric spray paints that make it less stiff (tho if u can get metallic gray is another issue entirely).
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
o01101011
Just call me Digit

The ones you linked look like craft foam partitions over a pair of black leggings.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
sfstilter

I believe airbrushing might be a good route to go.
sfstilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Do you have an image reference of the actual costume?

Otherwise, this guy has three straight thigh pieces, a fourth one wedge shaped and connected to the knee, and then a less-wedge-shaped one below the knee. The bottom four look like they're joined together and either sitting on or attached to the shoes.

You can use spray paint on clothes. They will be a little stiffer, but once they warm up and move around, they'll soften. If you plan to use skins (exercise leggings, compression gear, tights), you need to stuff them so that they're stretched to the same size as your legs. Use thin layers and build up to the colour you want. You'll need more colour on the back and sides of the knee and your groin/bum region than you will elsewhere.
If this is a costume for a one-time use and not one you want to reuse dozens and dozens of times, spray paint will be fine.

Otherwise you can have a look on eBay and find a pair of metallic silver tights.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

You could potentially attach the pieces to the pants/leggings with velcro, or snap buttons.

Not sure how you'd put them on and move around if made out of foam like most armor is. I had some difficulty in my armor this summer. It's a bit hard to walk like a normal person with foam things on your legs and trying not to scrape paint off your hard work by having your legs accidentally rub against each other.
I'd suggest perhaps making the armor plates out of vinyl, then paint and distress to make it look like metal. Could be easier to wear, but you'd have to experiment.
Polar Chill - check out my costume DIY panel and workshop
FanExpo - Iron Man Mark VII version 2, Pacific Rim Jaeger pilot?

FanExpo - fem!Iron Man Mark VII - The Iron Man Armor Project
Atomic Lollipop - Vanellope von Schweetz; raver!Sailor Mars
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote