Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Misona
Mii-Chan

Guitars at a Con?

I know there's a "prop" rule about weapons and of the sort, but do you guys think that also means real guitars?

Better stated:
Do you think it would be against the rules to bring an actual guitar and amp as part of a costume?

Sorry if there already is a thread like this, but I couldn't find it! If you could redirect me that would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance!!

~Mii
Misona is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I think it all depends on con rules. I've seen people bring trumpets and violins and play them in the con halls. And at Katsucon there was a girl playing guitar outside. Email the con and ask them before anything.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Boreotheria
n00b

Guitars are weapons now? Are you cosplaying Haruka from FLCL, in which case the guitar is a required element of the costume and people might actually worry about you bashing someone over the head with it?

I would contact the security department of the convention you're going to, and ask them if having a guitar and amp would be a problem as part of a costume. I can think of a couple of things that might cause trouble. One, unless this amp is tiny, it's going to take up a lot of space and might be a trip hazard in walkway areas. Two, it would be a liability for you in the sense that you're carrying around and keeping track of expensive equipment that someone might target for theft.

If you plan on playing the guitar in character, try to get some appropriate venue time to do it. You could have it set up at a room party, or you could play it in a skit-length masquerade presentation if live music is not against the rules of the masquerade. If you don't plan on playing it, I would concentrate on getting a decent-looking fake guitar and amp, so that you can carry them around and not worry about theft or being an obstacle.
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'd ditch the amp outside of a scheduled performance like Boreotheria suggests. It's big, bulky, and actually using it is way more likely to annoy someone and get you reported (new policies get created because of incidents like that !) than the guitar alone.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
enik01

I've seen people take guitars to conventions before, I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if it's an expensive guitar but I wouldn't consider them a weapon..

You should check out the con's website and read their policy on props.
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

^ yeah, in addition to theft some people just aren't good with "personal space" and things can get broken. I've heard of people grabbing props and such and them getting broken, so I doubt if someone is that inconsiderate they'd change their behaviour for a guitar.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

From experience, I can only saty for the big local con here. Not only have I seen INSIDE last year there was a person playing acustic (which inside echo's so this would be the same as an amp almost) and a bongo player and they played the entire time. and were allowed. And this year there was a guitar player and a drummer set up right outside playing songs and nothing was a problem. I see people all the time with blaring music walking around inside so the noise isn't a problem, so I see no problems. In fact, I was gonna do the exact same thing with a cosplay but I just didn't wanna have to carry it all day lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
guitargirlts9
I Love Light Music!

I play guitar at every con I go to because of the characters I like to cosplay. I have never had a problem. I have played inside the con halls and outside and have never had a staff complaint or anything. It's a great way to meet people too. I've had lots people recognize me as that girl who was playing guitar at "whatever con". If you can play licks and songs from the series you're cosplaying then it's even better.

I play an electric with a battery powered amp, a couple of pedals, and a phrase sampler/drum machine and have a guitar backpack case and school bag to carry my stuff. I would recommend something similar to carry your gear for when you're not playing. Don't forget to bring extra batteries either. The only reason you would have to worry about theft is if you left your stuff unattended by then why would you do that? I would also recommend you do not let anyone else play your guitar. I've been asked several times by random people, but I will never let a stranger play my Gibson. I feel electric is better than acoustic because you can control the volume to appropriate levels depending on where you're playing.

Most importantly be respectful of the con space. I like to find a spot that isn't in the way of people traffic and keep in mind you're probably going to attract a crowd at some point so keep that in mind too so they're not blocking traffic either. At Katsucon, Otakon, and AUSA I have found several nice spots that wouldn't block traffic or get in people's way such as by a corner and against a wall by a large hallway space. Outside it's not an issue at all as long as you're not blocking an entrance or people traffic.

Use common sense and make sure what you play sounds good and in tune. What character are you cosplaying?
Otakon 2014
Anime USA 2014
Yuki Nagato - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kagamine Rin - Vocaloid
Yui Hirasawa - K-On!
Iwasawa Masami - Angel Beats!

I Love Light Music!
guitargirlts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

As long as you don't become the "guitar guy", then cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWuRz...D2557 7B5ED30

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Misona
Mii-Chan

Thanks to everyone who replied! I will take into account for every piece of advice you guys offered me! : 3
I'll email the con just in case~ but it seems like some of you guys had some good experiences with guitars!

and guitargirl! It's awesome you play and cosplay Yui because I was planning to go as Azusa! : 3 Though I won't be as pro as you, you have definitely inspired me!

Thank you everyone for the replies!!!
Misona is offline   Reply With Quote