Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Elita-1
Dat supersaiyan swagger

Goku (Genderbend)

I just recently completed my Battle Damaged Fem Goku costume and I'm looking for a bit of critique.

Mostly I'm looking for makeup critique, this was my first time trying SFX makeup and while I'm happy with how it came out for a first timer I'm sure it could look better..I just don't know how.
Of course I'm open to critique on everything really, it was my own design and while I know that Genderbends tend to get a lot of flak and are generally frowned upon in the cosplay community, I put a lot of thought, effort, and work into this costume and I really would like to improve it if I can.

So the photos are here:
http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/233249/

I'm sure no one needs a reference photo for Goku posted...do they?

Thanks!

~There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life. ~
Elita-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
eebee

Great job! The wounds definitely look very good. The only edit I might suggest is a little less eyeliner, I noticed the heavy lining right away. Really though, excellent job.

I would suggest posting a ref if you want any critique on the non-makeup aspects though. Plenty of people here on Coscom might not know DBZ.

Chosen, In Planning:
Carmelita Fox (with Sly Cooper), Riza Hawkeye (with Roy Mustang), Red (with Subject Unknown)

Under Construction:
Ravager, Emma Frost (with Namor, Phoenix Five editions)
eebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
MsMolly

Off the bat, I'd like to say that I really like your costume and appreciate the effort you went to detail it, and the wig too!
Since your query was specifically on make-up sp-fx, I'll focus on that:

You've got a good grasp on injury effects. If anything, I'd tone it down just a tad bit to bruises, bruises that have aged from previous fights/sparring, and minor inflictions (like scratches, swelling). What I'd always noticed from watching DBZ (it's been a few yurrs :P ) is that no matter how physically tore up any of the fighters got, their faces were truly affected. I think you can go off of that and apply some light bruising/scratching effects and ALSO apply the shadowing/highlighting necessary to complete a serious, dramatic look.
Whenever I watched DBZ back in da day, the dramatic element was so prevailing, you saw it on the character's faces. I'm sure you can replicate that with some simple cheek/temple/jaw line shawdow- just ti give your character the intensity that they have in the context of a fighting narrative. :3

So, tl'dr;
Slightly tone down the 'all tore up' effect (at least in the face, the body is always messed up in the source material), & emphasize your natural cheek/jaw lines with shadowing/highlighting in order to extenuate the masculine/powerful persona of Goku (even if you're a lady!). With your facial structure, you can definitely work the makeup to make you look powerful, but not manly at the same time if that's what you're aiming for...otherwise, go all out and add heavy effects to amp the manly!

I'm more experienced in costume construction than sewing, but I've got a good grip on stage and theatrical makeup. I'm very impressed by your injury effects on the whole, well done! :3
In the future, it could be interesting to see you do a well-known character in their lowest state- like a sailor moon at the point of defeat. Just some food for thought!

Costume-wise, well done! Other than some seamage issues on the wristlets, you've done spectacularly! I'd love to wear your costume.
MsMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I first want to say your photographer is amazing! All of these photos are brilliant!

Now about the costume!
The sewing looks super clean! Very nice! The Designs on the front and back of the jacket are great as well!I don't have too much to say about this costume actually. It's great! Some of the cutting up parts (mostly the pants and the sash) look a bit odd/forced/not from battle but in general the feel of it is great. I'm very impressed by your make-up skills. The make-up is very realistic and the wig is fabulous. I actually like the darker eyeliner.
Wonderful work~
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Elita-1
Dat supersaiyan swagger

I agree that in that one close up shot the eye liner looks a little too intense/cheap, I think I should have taken close ups with less eyeliner then put it on darker for farther shots as without it I found my features were getting lost in all the other make up , it's definitely something I'll consider in the future for sure.

You are definitely right about some of the edges, the more I look the more cartoony and fake it looks. I'm not sure how to make it look better..maybe I'll go back and cut some more and try taking sand paper to the edges? It seemed to work on other parts of the costume. I'll give it a try and see if it comes out better.
Thank you for the feedback on the makeup! I was hoping I hadn't gone overboard and would be mistaken for like..Zombie Goku or something.

And you're right, the photographer is completely amazing, for a guy who only kind of dabbles in it he does fantastic work.

~There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life. ~
Elita-1 is offline   Reply With Quote