Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Zorella
doing too many things

Need help constructing huge ring and gem!

Hi guys! I'm new here, and I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to construct this beast: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...t2-nenesha.jpg

Namely, the huge ring and gem. I'm most worried about 1. weight and 2. realism. I'm not that strong, and carrying around an actual hoop of metal all day will be way too much strain on me. But if I'm going to be carrying something like this around, I would want it to look nice...

I was thinking about getting a bunch of sheets of acrylic and constructing the gem out of that, but I don't know if you can seal acrylic, and I do know that it scratches easily. I also have a friend who works at a laser-cutting shop, so cutting it wouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm also not sure how I would do the crystal effect...would you paint the inside of the acrylic? Leave it bare? I want to put LEDs into the ring to shine up through the crystal, which shouldn't be hard?

For the ring...some sort of hoop as a base? Like a hula hoop, but then what would I put on it to make the flat effect? I'm pretty sure there aren't sheets of craft foam large enough for this, and that would take a LOT of work to make look nice...and I'm not sure I trust it.

I have no idea where to go from here. Please help!
Zorella is offline   Reply With Quote