Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 09-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Zouziias
Cosplay Novice

Leg Hair (Girls crossplaying guys)

What are your thoughts, cosplaying community, on a girl letting her leg hair grow and show when crossplaying?
I personally think it would be a very humorous touch with the crossplay I am doing (the male character dressed in women's clothing) and though it will be very annoying letting the hair grow out, I think it would be worth it for that one costume.

Obviously I'm going to test it out before wearing the costume in public, but I'd still like your feedback.

Also, I apologize if this question has already had a thread. I cannot tell if the website's layout has changed or if there really is only one page of threads in this forum.
Zouziias is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

I don't post hear much but I think if it's a character with leg hair, if you wanna do it then go ahead. It will look more like you are a male character and more believable.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

This was touched on a while back. If you look at almost all male anime characters, they typically lack leg hair. I can't even name one right now that has defined leg hair. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing it. To me, it would just look like you don't shave.

Up to you though, as always.
Unread 09-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Generally, unless you can pass as a male very well, leg hair just looks a bit...awkward.

As said, it is up to you, but I would be sure to test this out to the full degree before the con to ensure it will look as imagined.

Next con: Fanime (San Jose, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
thelovelysin
Informant

I thought about this too. I'm planning on cosplaying Kuroko from Kuroko no Basket (avatar picture) and because he wears shorts I thought about not shaving, but then I remembered I really hate body hair (even on guys)!!. Haha.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Ion
Lyrical gangster

From a biological standpoint [barring any hormonal anomalies and imbalances etc.], most leg hair on males is denser and a different texture than on females so simply letting your leg hair grow out does not necessarily mean you will get a "believable" look. Go ahead and try it if that is what you want to do, test it out.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Lind - Ah My Goddess | Elsa - Frozen (rework costume) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Zouziias
Cosplay Novice

Those were fast responses! :-D

But you guys bring up a lot of points.

The one with anime characters not typically having leg hair is very true. However, this cosplay is from a game. So I actually went and checked to see if there were any signs of hair and lo and behold, none!

And then there is the point that it might just look awkward. I have dressed like an average guy many times and amazingly, I am very convincing. So I think I could pull it off in that sense. But yet again, I've never seen my body hair longer than a few centimeters so it probably would look awkward.

But the most convincing response was the one by thelovelysin.

I, too, hate body hair. Even on guys as well! XD

In fanart, the gag of guys in drag with their leg hair showing is usually hilarious. But it doesn't mean it would work in cosplay.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm just going to go ahead and keep my legs the way I love 'em. Smooth. :-)
Zouziias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Ri-tan

But there are some hairy anime men too. I'm gonna cosplay Kyouraku Shunsui from Bleach some day and he has like everything from stubble and chest-hair to toe-hair. So I will at least let my leg hair grow out and see how it looks like. With him it'd just look awkward to NOT have leg-hair.

But other than him, I've always shaved because the characters seemed to have smooth legs or their legs weren't visible anyway.
Ri-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
fujyoshi
BL goggles :D

Truthfully the only time I shave my legs is when I cosplay but no crossplays I've done have had me show my HAIRY legs.
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

My legs are hairy pretty much all the time but yeah, they don't look much like the legs of the guys I know even when my hair's as long as it ever gets. Guys seem to have body hair that's...fluffier? Don't know.

Anyway, even with that, I think it's a neat touch to have some hair on the legs of a rugged, outdoorsy, or rustic type character. And I love the idea that you'd use it to enhance the effect of a guy who himself crossdresses. It's great! The best thing is that if you decide it doesn't do what you want it comes right off.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

...if I ever meet a woman who has better leg hair than I, let me be the first to say...I will give her a good "congrats" and then possibly flee. No matter how long mine gets it stays invisible until someone actually tries to find it. I must be cursed.
Anywho.
Most girls I know wouldn't even consider letting their leg hair grow out for a crossplay, so kudos to you whether you do it or not :P
I think it's a personal thing? I'm not really sure though haha
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

*eyebrow raise* A little less judgement on natural women, please? My body, my hair, my choice.

The idea sounds fun to me ^_^ And who knows? You might like it
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
arockalyptica
Amature costumer

Female leg hair? rofl, go for it! Every crossplay panal/Q&A ive been to have actually ADVISED to leave your leg hair, for that 'more convincing look'.

Even if anime characters dont 'show' leg hair, doesnt mean they dont have it, imagine how annoying it would be to draw it all every time
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
thelovelysin
Informant

Quote:
Originally Posted by arockalyptica View Post
Even if anime characters dont 'show' leg hair, doesnt mean they dont have it, imagine how annoying it would be to draw it all every time
Unless we're talking about those flowery, pretty boy type characters, I really don't think they're ever meant to have leg hair.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Pyroclast8

I dunno hun, when you usually shave and then let hair grow out, it tends to come back pretty nasty, either thicker or thinner, and it doesn't look like you never shave. Just looks like lady legs which haven't been very well treated.

1. John Watson- BBC Sherlock
2. Loki- Thor, Tales of Asgard
3. Frodo Baggins- The Lord of the Rings
4. Bilbo Baggins- The Hobbit
5. Thranduil (Randy Thrandy)- The Hobbit
Pyroclast8 is offline   Reply With Quote