Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Unread 01-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Marisuhsah
Now what?

Giselle from Enchanted?

Not quite so sure this cosplay has been my brightest idea, construction-wise. I'm not used to making cosplays on my own, however, I don't plan to start this cosplay until perhaps way late 2012, or even 2013. But my cosplays this year aren't overly complex (with the exception of Amaimon, but I have him worked out), so I figured it's best to plan for this early rather than scramble around and have to cancel the cosplay because I don't know how to do anything.

So I'd like to cosplay Giselle from Enchanted. Not a simple dress of hers, no, I'm too stupid for that.

This is the dress I had in mind, if for no other reason than to look really awesome next to my friend cosplaying Lottie.

In my arsenal of plans, I already have this tutorial.

And I just wanted to know if this tutorial is good enough? Is there anything else I should know? I'm really, really new to making my own stuff so I basically have no idea how to go about this. ;; Any sort of help or tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Future Cons:
Megacon 2012
KhaoticKon 2012
Otakon 2012

Cosplays in Progress:
Secret Cosplay 1 - 90%
Dirk Strider - 45%
Trickster!Dave - 15%
Marisuhsah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

The tutorial is fantastic! I wouldn't have thought of using a garden hose for the boning.

You can also find hoop skirts online on Amazon and bridal stores. Look for "bridal petticoat". You can also use traditional hoop wire (I bought mine from corsetmaking.com).

Or buy a cheap Southern Bell costume and convert that to hoop skirt. That's how I made my first hoop skirt.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
ThePrincessMom

This is what I think I am tackling next too. I think. If I am brave enough, lol.
ThePrincessMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
kiggi

I would look for 1980's wedding dress patterns as they will have the giant sleeves and the oversized everything. For the ruffles, trim lace ruffles are pricy, get flat pannel lace and cut into strips and gather. It will save lots, and you can control it to be more what you want. Good luck!
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
alterationsbyem

I just happen to be lurking this late night and found your post. I did in fact make this dress several years ago. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alterat...in/photostream

It was one of pure love, and it only took about a week. I draped the fabric on my dress form and then just free handed the cutting. A good practice on the dress would be here http://butterick.mccall.com/b5184-pr...hp?page_id=153 there is not a break in the gown for a waistline. I made the satin one to be an over dress and the ruffles were on an underskirt.

I don't make it a point to be on here much, message me if you have any questions.
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Mooncactus

You can start with an oversized Giselle costume as a base?
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5195/sn852640.jpg
I found one about 4 sizes to big for me at the Disney outlet for 30 bucks a few years back. I didn't have the skill or money to make my own, so I took and it improved with better gloves, hoopskirt, etc. You can do even more (add more detail on the skirt, maybe add a full frill-underskirt, etc)
That's what I recommend.
Mooncactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
ThePrincessMom

So while my Giselle gown sits balled in a tupperware container, I'm looking at photos I just got back of it from the party last month.
I started with a wedding gown I ordered on ebay. It was not exactly what I wanted but I knew this was just a starting point. I spent about a month adding ruffles x100, modifying things, replacing sleeves, and embellishing embellishing embellishing (my favorite part) and in the end I was happy with it. The back part laced up and went very low, and where it was above my rear it made the dress pucker and do strange things. I found a solution - a big butt bow. Why not?

ThePrincessMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

OMG! So pretty! Now I want to do a Giselle dress.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote