Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
PJ_Graphix
Coolest Game Geek

Here's a different one... I want to GAIN weight

i feel like my problem isnt addressed as much as the alternative. Ive been plagued with everyone around me wanting to lose weight while i want to gain it, desperately.

I am pretty skinny guy, 23 yrs old at 5'6"isn and about 124lbs (give or take). I would love to gain some weight and some muscle mass, not only for cosplays but for my personal life obviously. dont get me wrong i love the body that i am in but it never hurts to have some healthy goals for yourself. and i feel like i am a bit too thin unfortunately, as much as i try to change that fact..

So as odd as it may sound to most people, are there any tips on how i can effectively gain weight? Im not talking binge-eating donuts and burgers for a month straight, but honest suggestions on schedules i should keep? should i count calories? any specific foods anyone has tried? any exercises for chest/arms. any routines? has anyone been in my situation???

Id love to play Deadpool one day but dont want to be an awkwardly skinny deadpool...
PJ_Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
djlemma

I tried this when I was roughly your age and had very limited success. I got up to about 6000 calories a day and just couldn't get myself to ingest much more. I was using these powders they sell at GNC- "super weight gainer 3000" type stuff. Unfortunately, they are basically the same thing as carnation instant Breakfast but with a very large serving size- like 1 liter per serving.

On the other hand, I got noticeably stronger during the process, and was bench pressing almost 200 pounds (which I'd love to be able to do again) just by doing the combo of eating tons and anaerobic exercise. So, in my view the worst case scenario is you stay pretty skinny but you get really strong, and that's not a bad thing at all!
djlemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Cephas
ICXC NIKA

There's the GOMAD (Gallon Of (whole) Milk A Day) diet, which is exactly as it sounds. I personally wouldn't recommend it because you'll probably get a lot of indigestion. But apparently, it has helped skinny kids gain a lot of weight (admittedly, it's mostly fat) and STRENGTH. Milk has protein and lots of vitamins.

Additionally, you could eat meat with high fat content. I'm talking porterhouse steak and dark meat chicken.

Cook eggs with clarified butter. Eat coconut, peanuts, almonds, seeds, etc. All these foods have a good blend of protein and fat.

And stay away from processed junk like white bread, soda, breakfast cereal, almost any food you find in a box, etc.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
PantsuNe~
Banned

No advice but....I am so jealous that you are in a situation where you want to gain weight.
PantsuNe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Not that unusual for guys to want to gain weight. Usually, guys want more muscle, rather than getting slimmer. I know way too many guys who are obsessed with continually gaining weight. However, if you're not genetically inclined to keep weight on, once you get it, you need to commit to maintain it for the rest of your life. Muscle easily turns to fat once you stop going to the gym. (Ever seen retired athletes? A lot of them look pretty overweight, don't they? It's because they had so much muscle mass when they were young and getting paid for their bodies, then they retired and didn't have to watch their diet or work out anymore, and where does all that mass go? It usually turns into fat)

Basically, you have to eat so much that you feel sick and don't want to eat anymore, while doing strength training type things. My cousin is a hockey player and this is basically his life. He was always a lean but athletic 160lbs kind of guy in his last year of high school and into his early 20s, but then he started playing pro hockey and they told him he had to get to 200lbs for next training camp. He pretty much eats his family out of house and home. XD

He eats a lot of chicken, rice, and steamed vegetables. By a lot I mean he can eat up to 5 chicken thighs at a family dinner. Does not eat cheese (anything with milk fats), or refined sugars, or really much sugar of any kind. And he's just constantly eating all the time because to maintain the weight, he has to have a certain amount of calories everyday. He does insane strength and agility training with a personal trainer. For people who want to lift weights, I'd strongly suggest getting a trainer for a while so you use equipment properly. I see a lot of people at the gym using things incorrectly. They're either going to hurt themselves, or they're just wasting their time.
Polar Chill - check out my costume DIY panel and workshop
FanExpo - Iron Man Mark VII version 2, Pacific Rim Jaeger pilot?

FanExpo - fem!Iron Man Mark VII - The Iron Man Armor Project
Atomic Lollipop - Vanellope von Schweetz; raver!Sailor Mars
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
~Ichigo~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
There's the GOMAD (Gallon Of (whole) Milk A Day) diet, which is exactly as it sounds. I personally wouldn't recommend it because you'll probably get a lot of indigestion. But apparently, it has helped skinny kids gain a lot of weight (admittedly, it's mostly fat) and STRENGTH. Milk has protein and lots of vitamins.

Additionally, you could eat meat with high fat content. I'm talking porterhouse steak and dark meat chicken.

Cook eggs with clarified butter. Eat coconut, peanuts, almonds, seeds, etc. All these foods have a good blend of protein and fat.

And stay away from processed junk like white bread, soda, breakfast cereal, almost any food you find in a box, etc.
This. Im like you except im 5'9" and if I eat a normal diet like everyone else i will fall to 120lbs-123lbs. The only way I broke this was by drinking a gallon of milk everyday while I did a stronglifts workout routine. Got up to 140lbs but I went to fast and sorta gained acouple inches of fat on my stomach but i gained like 4-5 inches on muscle on my chest and nice muscle on my legs/arms for such a short period of time.
(lost all the stomach fat over 4 months of just sitting around playing video games atleast)

So, my advice if nothing works, try gomad and maybe not buy the whole fat milk like I did (maybe 1-2%) and maybe not drink an entire gallon each day. Ide say half a gallon of 2% while lifting heavy could do it. Along with the right foods and maybe a protein shake pre/post workout.

Last edited by ~Ichigo~ : 11-05-2012 at 12:43 PM.
~Ichigo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Alpha Slaughter

@Dizzymonochrome - I agree and wow that's one dedicated guy, but one issue: muscle does not turn to fat. If you stop working out, you lose strength and muscle mass and, especially with older bodybuilders, they don't work out as much and burn those calories needed in order to keep the fat off. They start getting lazy in their diet and routine and gain more fat than muscle. Powerlifters are much more inclined to have that gut along with their muscle because they aren't worried about aesthetics; they just want to get stronger. Bodybuilders, yeah. They have bulking and cutting phases or else they stick to clean bulking.
Alpha Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Slaughter View Post
@Dizzymonochrome - I agree and wow that's one dedicated guy, but one issue: muscle does not turn to fat. If you stop working out, you lose strength and muscle mass and, especially with older bodybuilders, they don't work out as much and burn those calories needed in order to keep the fat off. They start getting lazy in their diet and routine and gain more fat than muscle. Powerlifters are much more inclined to have that gut along with their muscle because they aren't worried about aesthetics; they just want to get stronger. Bodybuilders, yeah. They have bulking and cutting phases or else they stick to clean bulking.
Yeah I guess that's kinda what I meant. I probably just said it wrong. Pretty much, you stop and everything goes wacky and you won't keep the figure you got. From the guys I know, it's quite a dedication to their bodies.

Unread 11-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
sarg3_5laught3r

*cracks knuckles* Help is here, friend.

I am in the same situation you are in, and I have started to overcome my previous twigness thanks to these steps. I am not done, but I am well on the way.

The first thing you need to do is determine your body type, and judging from your height, I am guessing Eso/meso, which means you have a pretty fast metabolism, if not very fast. The first trick to gaining weight, and more importantly, mass, is to conditions yourself to eat A LOT. For me, I am eating 3000+ calories a day, usually falling in to the 3100-3500 range. Overeat your metabolism, and you will begin to notice gains. Be sure to exercise 3 times a week for about 30 minutes and focus your greatest protein intake anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour after your workout.

Captain Jack Harkness: 5%
Booker Dweitt: 5%
sarg3_5laught3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg3_5laught3r View Post
*cracks knuckles* Help is here, friend.

I am in the same situation you are in, and I have started to overcome my previous twigness thanks to these steps. I am not done, but I am well on the way.

The first thing you need to do is determine your body type, and judging from your height, I am guessing Eso/meso, which means you have a pretty fast metabolism, if not very fast. The first trick to gaining weight, and more importantly, mass, is to conditions yourself to eat A LOT. For me, I am eating 3000+ calories a day, usually falling in to the 3100-3500 range. Overeat your metabolism, and you will begin to notice gains. Be sure to exercise 3 times a week for about 30 minutes and focus your greatest protein intake anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour after your workout.
You don't look twiglike in your avatar! O_O Those are some pretty big looking arms you've got there Mr Bane. And unless you look like Popeye, you must be somewhat proportioned??

Unread 11-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Em1nAI
Ectomorphic Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Graphix View Post
i feel like my problem isnt addressed as much as the alternative. Ive been plagued with everyone around me wanting to lose weight while i want to gain it, desperately.

I am pretty skinny guy, 23 yrs old at 5'6"isn and about 124lbs (give or take). I would love to gain some weight and some muscle mass, not only for cosplays but for my personal life obviously. dont get me wrong i love the body that i am in but it never hurts to have some healthy goals for yourself. and i feel like i am a bit too thin unfortunately, as much as i try to change that fact..

So as odd as it may sound to most people, are there any tips on how i can effectively gain weight? Im not talking binge-eating donuts and burgers for a month straight, but honest suggestions on schedules i should keep? should i count calories? any specific foods anyone has tried? any exercises for chest/arms. any routines? has anyone been in my situation???

Id love to play Deadpool one day but dont want to be an awkwardly skinny deadpool...
Ok, where to start. To safely gain weight start making a food log. Write down everything you eat and when for at least a week or two to start. Examine what you are eating now, then see if you see any thing to improve. If you can, look up caloric content, and macro nutrient breakdowns. For example if you have a 4 oz grilled chicken breast, you'd write down 24 g/protein, 0 g carb/1 g fat and 105 calories. Check for patterns (like say skipping breakfast) which is bad, and fix the bad ones, and keep doing the good ones.

Figure out how many calories you burn in a day, just doing what you do using a Total Daily Energy Expenditure calculator(TDEE) http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html . I'd say your TDEE is probably around 2300-2500 calories. Now to gain, you eat more than that. To safely gain (and also not just gain bodyfat) I bump mine up 350-500 calories above my TDEE so for you roughly 2600 to 3000 calories a day. It is extremely hard for me to gain size because of my body type (ectomorph) so I go towards the higher end, and am guessing the same will be true for you.

BUT, when figuring out what to eat during a day you DON'T count calories...you count grams of protein/carbs/fat. Why? You can reach 3000 calories, by eating a balanced days meals or eating a whole large pizza. Both 3000, one healthy, one not. I'd suggest making a meal plan for yourself, based around work and stuff. If you are interested in me explaining and telling you how to find out how many grams of protein/carb/fat you might start with, feel free to ask (it's not a short answer, but with a little math you can find out)

But general eating for gain rules:
-EAT REGULARLY Eat 5-6 times a day is essential
-Stick to healthy foods and balanced meals (pretty much always have protein/carbs/healthy fat) whenever you have a meal or snack.
-Carbs such as bread, pasta and potatoes should be about 1/3 of your diet
-Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
-Good protein sources are meat, fish, eggs, beans, nuts.
-Dairy foods is okay and good way to get healthy fat
-Fatty or sugary foods should either be stricken completely from your diet or a very small portion.
-Drink water or tea or low sugar/non carbonated beverage (I LOVE crystal light personally)

And now a few suggestions for your workouts. (without knowing your experience in the gym)
-Workout at least 3 times a week. Whatever number of days you do give a body part at least one-two days of rest before hitting it again.
-Your exercises should be primarily barbell/dumbbell based, this brings in more "helper" muscles you won't work as much as doing cable based exercises.
-Do multi-joint exercises first, then single-joint. For example, Close-Grip Bench Press then Rope Pushdowns for triceps.
-Reps should be 8-12 range. This range is generally regarded as hypertrophy range (hypertrophy==increase volume of muscle fiber size)
-Don't just mindlessly rep out each exercise you do. Visualize the muscle contracting and relaxing. Do reps with good form and not super fast about 2-3 seconds on the contraction.
-And with single joint exercises flex or squeeze the muscle at the top of each rep.
-Eat before and after workout especially protein (20-25 grams range) and carbs are important. If you can afford whey protein, drink a shake before or after, or both.
-Keep a log of your workouts, exercise/sets/reps/weight. Every time you come back to an exercise the next week, improve something. Try for an extra rep, 5 more pounds, shorter rest period, something. Progress, progress is key.

You are starting where sarg3_5laught3r and myself started, skinny and (for me, no muscle mass to speak of hardly at all), don't get disheartened...it takes some work and the desire to do what we are doing, clearly you want to too Oh and write out goals for yourself. Short term and long term.

~Em1nAI
(PS sorry to double up on what sarg3_5laught3r said it was easier to just say what I was thinking)

I'm a certified personal fitness trainer as well as a certifiable health nut.

Costume(s):
Toshiro Hitsugaya...100% done
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/248204/
Snake-Eyes...100% done
"Hammer pants have NOTHING on my hakama pants!"
Em1nAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
MetalArtisan

GOMAD plus Lots of Squats worked really well for me.
The real advantage of GOMAD is cost; milk is pretty much the cheapest, most readily available source of protein and calories you can get.
MetalArtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Alpha Slaughter

@MetalArtisan - I thought that was peanut butter and tuna that took the spots of cheapest and mot readily available. xD But yes, milk is good. Just make sure you keep track of the fat that comes along with that protein if you're drinking whole milk. Otherwise, make sure you know which milk you're getting.
Alpha Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
PJ_Graphix
Coolest Game Geek

Thank you everyone. so many helpful tipd and guidelines these posts have given me hope for possibilities to come. i know a majority of it falls upon my own dedication to follow through but you have all set me in a decent direction to hopefully succeed. Maybe if i find an appropriate section i can post my progress? thank you again, i will refer to this on a regular basis
PJ_Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote