Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
outkin
so i hear u like mudkips?

nine tails?

Ok, so ive been wanting to do this cosplay for quite some time now :O (and i dont mean the one from Naruto x.x) i mean a nine tailed Kitsune spirit. One from Japanese folklore. Clothing wise, i have that more or less figured out. (but if you have any suggestions on what might look good let me know :O) but it is the tails right now i cant seem to figure out...

structure wise i was thinking of using crafting wire, probably a medium / heavy gauge, looped at the bottom in a circle and then leading into the tail so the base rests against my body rather comfortably. Inside, im fiddling with the idea of either using balloons. Or light stuffing (still haven't thought of the length of the tails to be honest ._.) the covering will most likely be fax fur. but that can change depending on how big the tails are.

my other idea was making a chicken wire frame of the tails, using the same wire idea to run threw it as well as at the base and then cover as well...

Last edited by outkin : 11-04-2012 at 04:48 PM.
outkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Do you have an image for reference?

If you're looking at having something that stands up (as opposed to sitting limp against your legs), you'll need to counter the weight of it.
Think something like a U shape, where the left-hand side of the U is bound against your body, and the right-hand side of the U is the tails.
Have you had a look at tail tutorials? Perhaps how furries make tails that stand up?
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Agreed with Nostrum, though the more exact term is "fursuiters", not "furries"

The craft wire often doesn't have enough spring on it's own to avoid sagging. You may need to twist together two or more pieces of wire to get the strength/weight properties you're looking for. (There are also more complicated techniques involving heat treating proper spring-steel...But I've not yet heard of anyone going that far). You clamp the end of two strands in a vice. Grip the other ends with some appropriately sized pliers, and twist the pliers around until you've got a lovely double helix.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "using balloons". lightweight polyester fiberfill is the common substance for bulking up things like tails.

It sounds like you're still in the planning stages; focused on collecting reference pictures; a combination of existing art, other people's costumes, and possibly drawings of your own. Even if you can't draw, it can be useful to take the time to learn, just to get your ideas down on paper.
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
outkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Do you have an image for reference?

If you're looking at having something that stands up (as opposed to sitting limp against your legs), you'll need to counter the weight of it.
Think something like a U shape, where the left-hand side of the U is bound against your body, and the right-hand side of the U is the tails.
Have you had a look at tail tutorials? Perhaps how furries make tails that stand up?
i have looked at tail tutorials, most of them are for only 1 tail thought sadly, and im looking for doing 9 of them.
The closest ive gotten to what im looking for is a tail tutorial for Ahri from League of Legends.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=287946

i based off most of what i was thinking of doing from this, my only problem here is what i can substitute that gerdle thingy for since im a guy ._.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
outkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Agreed with Nostrum, though the more exact term is "fursuiters", not "furries"

The craft wire often doesn't have enough spring on it's own to avoid sagging. You may need to twist together two or more pieces of wire to get the strength/weight properties you're looking for. (There are also more complicated techniques involving heat treating proper spring-steel...But I've not yet heard of anyone going that far). You clamp the end of two strands in a vice. Grip the other ends with some appropriately sized pliers, and twist the pliers around until you've got a lovely double helix.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "using balloons". lightweight polyester fiberfill is the common substance for bulking up things like tails.

It sounds like you're still in the planning stages; focused on collecting reference pictures; a combination of existing art, other people's costumes, and possibly drawings of your own. Even if you can't draw, it can be useful to take the time to learn, just to get your ideas down on paper.
(ok so for some reason my response to this dident get put up )

I agree, craft wire might not be the strongest but im still not sure how large / tall i want to make the tails so that's still a variable on what type to use.

What i meant by balloons is using them to partially fill the tails and then use the polyester to fill the rest of the space thus reducing how much polyester i would have to get as well as make the tails weight slightly less if i make them large.

planning wise, i know what needs to be done for the tails, were my real problem lies is in making a caddy system to support all the tails. Since im a guy and apparently no guy ever cosplays a nine tailed fox spirit i cant find any photos for that. So most of my concept photos have been coming from peoples cosplays of "Ahri" from league of legends.

but like this thread suggested
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=287946
i am trying to find the equivalent of that girdle... i mean if all else fails i could wear one <.<;;; but i really don't want to imagine what that would feel like to be honest xD just looks uncomfortable to me coming from a guys perspective o.o
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
outkin

self bumping x-x
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
outkin

bump D:
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
outkin

bump thought i think i have a idea how to do this...