Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.68 average.
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #616
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I love and cherish the death penalty and don't think it's implemented nearly enough. There are just some things that cry out for vengeance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I agree. On that note, I am fine with corporal punishment for certain crimes, in particular where criminal has assaulted or abused a victim. Nothing says "DON'T DO THAT EVER AGAIN, SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE NOW?" like a hard lash that leaves a giant bloody welt leaving you unable to sit for a week. Sit on your ass for a month in a cell courtesy of the taxpayers or pay some money? Surrrre, big deterrent. Same goes for using public humiliation for punishment.
You two sure do agree on a lot of stuff.

"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #617
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
You two sure do agree on a lot of stuff.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #618
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
I completely disagree. Ideally that would work, but we do not live in a ideal world and prisons are definitely not a perfect system. The potential for abuse in corporal punishment like that and then the risk of it happening to someone falsely convicted is too much for me to be comfortable with it. I mean I would say look at Guantanamo Bay for an example of how it can go wrong.

The question is, is the primary purpose of prison just to punish people for their crimes or to rehabilitate them to they don't want to commit them again. Both systems can prevent future offenders, but I clearly think one is more barbaric than the other.

Also revenge shouldn't be a motivator for execution.
Suprisingly no one, I'm with Fullbleed. This is probably why SV shipped us in that thread.

In more irrelevant news, someone say they like that new "Man of Steel" trailer, so that I may hate on it.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #619
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

I am against the death penalty as it does not deter the crimes associated with it, now if you used it on say, rich embezzling corporate jack offs, they would stop robbing people...maybe.

I still don't like the death penalty.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #620
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
The question is, is the primary purpose of prison just to punish people for their crimes or to rehabilitate them to they don't want to commit them again.
Or to simply isolate violent people from the rest of society.

Whether I approve of capital/corporal punishment morally is less important than the fact that I don't trust the accuracy and fairness of the judicial system enough to give them that kind of power.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #621
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post

Whether I approve of capital/corporal punishment morally is less important than the fact that I don't trust the accuracy and fairness of the judicial system enough to give them that kind of power.
Yes. This.
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #622
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Oh, I never claimed it to be a sane or rational opinion that would stand up to real life implementation or even a strong breeze (and don't go hitching me to the capital punishment bandwagon -- that's all on Shinobi). Then again, I'm all for setting pedarests on fire after they're convicted.

Okay, maybe it's not so much an opinion as a pipe dream.

I'm angry today. Could you tell?

Quote:
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #623
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Yep!

I was going to post this now that I'm done with work (Had no time this morning), but it's already been taken care of.

...I wouldn't have said "judicial system" though, I'd have said "the people in court" because I point fingers.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #624
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

I find some people expendable and usable, especially if they are incredibly dimwitted and stupid

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #625
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:

Yes. I honestly don't know how I feel on the topic, but allowing that kind of power is terrifying. ._.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #626
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

I think geeky/nerd t shirts are LAME. T shirts with big Halo logos, catchphrases from cartoons or ponies or whatever. I think just because most of the time they look so poorly designed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #627
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
T shirts with big Halo logos, catchphrases from cartoons or ponies or whatever. I think just because most of the time they look so poorly designed.
You just shot down the entire SnorgTees franchise(?).

Like Black Milk, I don't think their stuff is very good --- the women who wear the stuff look amazing though.

Don't care about the men.
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #628
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Like Black Milk, I don't think their stuff is very good --- the women who wear the stuff look amazing though.
I have so many friends who LOVE Black Milk stuff, but I gotta say, I don't like 99% of their products. And that remaining 1% is stuff that I think is nice, but I'd still never wear.

Unrelated, I HATE black (and white) pepper. I don't understand why people insist on putting it in things like mac n cheese or tuna salad. It ruins food.
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #629
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post

Don't care about the men.
Oh, really? I would never have guessed. Never, not ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
Unrelated, I HATE black (and white) pepper. I don't understand why people insist on putting it in things like mac n cheese or tuna salad. It ruins food.
I put loads of pepper on everything. All kinds of pepper. And hot sauce. I have a variety of hot sauces for different foods and different moods.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #630
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Oh, really? I would never have guessed. Never, not ever.
It's why I said it --- making sure everyone is aware of this, I know it's not very obvious.

Quote:
I have so many friends who LOVE Black Milk stuff, but I gotta say, I don't like 99% of their products. And that remaining 1% is stuff that I think is nice, but I'd still never wear.
It's eccentric with a "sexy" edge --- I think it's the entire selling point while catering to more nerdy fandoms.

Quote:
If I could put crushed red peppers on everything, I would!

Black/white pepper, it depends on the type of pasta, never put it on anything else :/