Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Rakoku
Hawai'i Cosplayer

Bikini body in in 3 months, is it possible?

So on a sort of rushed decision, I decided to cosplay Black Rock Shooter. Problem is, I'm sort of...chubby. I'm 5'4" and around 130-137 pounds, not that muscular, but not overweight. Just.. soft and flabby.

The costume is basically a bikini and short shorts. The con is roughly about 3 months away, in early March, and I want to look my best for it. Is it possible to achieve a nice body in 3 months or less? And this will be especially hard for me, since unless I have a specific routine and diet, I'm more apt to fall off the wagon. But I've got no more time to spare! D:

Also, what are some good things to do for cardio, besides running? I can't run due to health problems, and I'm too self-conscious to go to a gym, so what other things could I possibly do?
Rakoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

For cardio, why not try swimming, then? If the reason you can't run is due to joint problems, swimming is a good solution, since it's no-impact.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 5% (Planning) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Levinanth
Pokémon Master

I like to dance no matter what I'm doing. Instead of sitting while on my laptop, I'll do a silly little dance, or something stupid like that.

It's not much, but it adds up.
Levinanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

IMO, you need strength training rather than just cardio to look good in a bikini. Cardio will make you thinner, but it won't tone things up and keep your various body parts tight, something that you'll want if you're hanging out with most of your body exposed.

Personally, I used a kettle bell workout at home to get back in shape after having my daughter. It allowed me to get all over strength training in and some cardio at the same time. My recommendation is to make sure you get in weighted squats (to work your legs and butt) if you're dealing with short shorts.
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
ChibiMai

Have you tried to search for core exercises? They are good and easy to do at home and many are low impact.

Situps are not the best thing for abs as most people do them wrong and it can hurt your neck and back. 1 I try to do for abs is standing up where you use your tummy to pull 1 leg up and bring the arm on the same side down to touch just about (in front of your body). the knee has to come up to the hip to do much.
ChibiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
improvised

You're gonna need to strength train. I would focus on squats and lunges, to tone your legs, crunches and situps for your abs, and pushups for your arms. Cardio is good, but it won't be as useful for toning.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
rndmguy

This is pretty subjective because what you might consider a nice bikini body is vastly different from what someone else might. For example, I saw a picture of Kayne West on the news the other day and said "Wow, he's gotten pretty fat" when most people would consider him average, if not slightly above.

Needless to say, walking around in a swimsuit as average would leave me feeling a bit self-conscious.

But to answer your question, is three months enough time to get into reasonable shape? From where you're starting, I would say yes, however it's going to take spot on nutrition and exercise.

If you'd like I can help you come up with a diet plan that's really simple. Diet is by far the most important part to all of this. All that really matters in the end is that you use more calories than you take in, and there's an infinity different ways to get to this point when it comes to eating.

As mentioned, you're going to want to do some strength training. You're not going to get huge by lifting some dumbbells. You're a woman and you'll be in a calorie deficit. That and it takes years of real dedication to getting big. Not doing strength training is going to leave you being skinny-fat, which is fine for the average crowd, especially for women. You'll look ok in a bikini being skinny-fat, but you won't be Megan Fox.

If you do decide to do strength training, do whole body. Don't just work on abs, you'll see no progress. Bench press, squat, and deadlift are the big three compounds you should focus on. But hey, DLs are dangerous, pull-ups and rows are good though.

As for cardio, walking is just as good as running. Walking up an incline at a moderate pace will be more than plenty. You can also try swimming, sports like basketball, martial arts, or my personal preference DDR. Granted, there's a pretty big learning curve to get to the higher levels of the game, but the early stages should have you jumping around enough. Which reminds me, I also love skipping rope. Jump rope is probably the best cardio you can do. When done with proper form it's very low-impact. Do it for 30 minutes of actual jumping time(may take 60 minutes in reality) and you'll see fat fall off of you to your feet in gross blobs, so long as your diet's right.

I hope you get over your fear of the gym, because in reality, nobody cares what you're doing.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
FireInMyEyes
Native American Overlord

I'm on the waterpolo and swim team , since I started I've lost a good amount of weight and I'm now working on toning my muscles. I definitely recommend swimming because it works out your whole body and takes away a lot of the stress on your legs and feet that running does.

Also remember that after swimming a good 2,3 sometimes 4 hours your going to be really hungry. Dont eat the junk that your going to gravitate to, eat something with protein to strengthen the workout!

"I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why,sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!
-The White Queen
FireInMyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote