Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Introductions

Unread 11-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Deathirst

New to Cosplaying

Hi, So I'm completely new to cosplaying, I've thought about doing it for a while and finally decided why not, especially since I need a way of socializing with people similar to me and so cosplaying seemed like a good way of doing that.

The main thing preventing me from cosplaying so far is that I've always been overweight but I'm starting to lose weight (using some of the advice on the fitness forums here) and should be able to get down to a healthy weight (and a suitable weight for cosplaying) by the next con I intend to go to.

Like I said I'm completely new to cosplaying, but also to sewing and all that stuff, and although that might be something I end up doing I'll probably start off buying/commissioning whatever I can, but as I'm knew to this hopefully this site can help me out with that as well.

So yeah. Look forward to using these forums, learning more and gaining some experience and knowledge on cosplay.
Deathirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
CautiousAmber

Welcome!

I'm fairly new myself, but I'm finding that sewing isn't too difficult to start picking up. This site (as well as youtube vidoes) are a LIFE SAVER. So be sure to keep those in mind! You can luckily find advice on just about anything you need!

Happy to have you here!
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Deathirst

Hi, thanks for replying.

Good to know sewing isn't too difficult to learn so I think I'll try and pick it up at some stage. The problem is though that for the first costume I want to do (Natsu Dragneel) it seems to be so easy to make that there aren't really any patterns to work off of. Also I checked out your deviantART page, I'll be sure to favourite some of your art once I get my favourites organised
Deathirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Welcome!

Sewing just takes practice. Don't give up, and eventually you'll be good at it. Buy lots of muslin and practice practice practice before you cut up your costume fabric.

Don't worry about your weight, either. It's fantastic that you're trying to get healthy and get in shape, but don't put off cosplaying until you're "skinny enough" or anything. There are lots of plus size cosplayers out there, and if you just want to do it for fun, then it doesn't matter what your weight is.
Polar Chill - check out my costume DIY panel and workshop
FanExpo - Iron Man Mark VII version 2, Pacific Rim Jaeger pilot?

FanExpo - fem!Iron Man Mark VII - The Iron Man Armor Project
Atomic Lollipop - Vanellope von Schweetz; raver!Sailor Mars
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote