Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

A couple years ago at Otakon, I threw together a quick cosplay of Pip Bernadotte from Hellsing. I was wearing Brand new pants, and they were a little tight. At one point, I was trying to stick my phone back in my pockets (my phone has a HUGE bulky case since I'm prone to dropping it) and since my pants pockets were so tight it wouldn't go in. I mumbled to myself "Why are my pants too damn tight?!" and suddenly this random person cosplaying Izaya Orihara appears behind m and says "Oh I hate when that happens" before walking away. I was just left standing there like "...WTF?"
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
zeochan
Bucky take the wheel

Well this year I was meeting up my friend at Harveys, which is literally across from the con I went to, and she brought me to where she and her others friends where hanging out and I almost didnt recognize them XD. I actually already met some of them at her birthday party earlier before, but of course since theyre in costume...he XD. So then it took me like a second to be like "oh hey I remember you!" I dont think they recognized me either at first because I was in a costume too XD.
zeochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayerOne View Post
Hahaha! Man I would have been weired out to the fullest! I don't mind random encounters..but stuff like that. I'm like...The fuuu? And I try to run...if possible.
Yeah, that was why we decided to go to another park til he wasn't following us around (and for photo-ops.:P). Obviously he had something up with him if he was in the special olympics, but yah. We didn't want to be rude and tell him to leave us alone, so we pretty well waited til he'd shuffled semi-away and then pretty well made a run for it.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Seismogenic

This was at a Halloween party rather than at a con, but...

I was dressed as a character who has a crutch and a knee brace, and then someone else arrived at the party who had an actual crutch knee brace because she'd just had actual knee surgery. I felt so awful, but she joked about it the whole night, so I guess things could've been much worse...
Seismogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

At Anime USA 2010, I was wearing Mokona and the ears connected to the hoodie were blocking out my hearing. Turns out I had a girl following my friend and I down into the Artist's Alley just to take our picture. I felt pretty bad
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
PlayerOne
TheBlackLuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seismogenic View Post
This was at a Halloween party rather than at a con, but...

I was dressed as a character who has a crutch and a knee brace, and then someone else arrived at the party who had an actual crutch knee brace because she'd just had actual knee surgery. I felt so awful, but she joked about it the whole night, so I guess things could've been much worse...
God that would be awkward . _. I would have been dead silent.
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
PlayerOne
TheBlackLuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibierwin View Post
At Anime USA 2010, I was wearing Mokona and the ears connected to the hoodie were blocking out my hearing. Turns out I had a girl following my friend and I down into the Artist's Alley just to take our picture. I felt pretty bad
Oh now that I would have laughed at. I'm actually very tall so I can't see over my shoulder very well. She would have been following me for like an hour and I wouldn't have even noticed XD This actually happened before! A little tiny girl was following me to get my picture!

She was really really polite though even through my ignorance of her presences! I wanted to take her home with me!
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Quote:
He then started a random conversation with Me and asked who I was dressed at. Me and my friend both said symotantiously "THE MARIO BROTHERS!"

He pretended to know who the heck that was! Which I found funny..
Uh.. Do.. Er, do you know how old Mario is?

Not awkward for me, but I turned up at a convention and saw a friend, who didn't recognise me at all. So I spent a good ten minutes hitting on them and making them feel really uncomfortable. Which got ruined when someone else came up and said "Oh, hey Sarah! Awesome costume!"
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #24
PlayerOne
TheBlackLuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Uh.. Do.. Er, do you know how old Mario is?

Not awkward for me, but I turned up at a convention and saw a friend, who didn't recognise me at all. So I spent a good ten minutes hitting on them and making them feel really uncomfortable. Which got ruined when someone else came up and said "Oh, hey Sarah! Awesome costume!"

Yes in fact I do but the man was at least 80 or so.

Lol, sounds like something I'd do. Keep nudging them till they turned around XD
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
pink-lemonade

Umm...yeah, definitely had a super awkward con moment last year. I won't go into too many details, because you never know who else could be on this site, but I was cosplaying a character and walking through Dealer's. This girl rushed over to me and started talking in a super high-pitched voice and asked if I recognized her voice as one of the fellow characters in the show. She went on to tell me that she wanted to start working on a fandub for this particular series, and suddenly her voice dropped really low and she leaned in and whispered in my ear "Don't tell anyone about my idea to fandub _____ because I don't want them to steal my idea." Then she switched back to the high-pitched voice and said "Byyyyeeee!" and walked away.
Saturday: Bad Girl (No More Heroes)
Sunday: Haruna Kojima the 8th (AKB0048)
pink-lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well, This wasn't AT the con center, but still during the con weekend..Me and my dad got thirsty and wanted a pepsi, so we walked a few blocks to walgreens, where I bought my soda..In costume..I was in my squall cosplay, which means I was wearing a white shirt. The first thing that happened when I opened it? I went to take a drink and it was still fizzing, and it went all over my shirt....In front of like 30 people standing there at the crosswalk....Yea..I felt so retarded....
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
kikamontanez

This actually isn't cosplay-related, but it is convention related. For anyone who's ever been to Comic Con, waiting in line for anything is a nightmare. You will literally be in line for hours just to pick up your badges. Well, me and my little group of company were in line, and this volunteer comes down the line asking if anybody is pregnant b/c if they are, they can get in the 'disability' line (which was obviously much shorter and faster). My sis was pregnant-barely showing, and they let all of us get in line with her.
Well, as were in line, this guy in a wheelchair and some sort of breathing device is right behind us. I mean, this obvious sickly, truly disabled guy, and there's all of us in front of him-healthy as oxen, and it was so awkward waiting in line after that. We certainly did not need to be in the disabled line.
kikamontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
Viveeh
necrocarnival

At my last con I started to cry because of the stress and somebody came and asked for a photo... I told them to wait a moment, fixed my makeup, and posed. And later I tripped on the stairs of the stage. I wanted to die, ahaha.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #29
glassbutterfly

Oh man this year at AX I was with my friend who was cosplaying Luffy, and this one guy who I assumed was also in cosplay from the same series (white suit and pants with white hat) - I'm not too familiar with One Piece - approached us. I assumed he was just going to take a pic of my friend when he called out his char's name, but then he turned to me and handed me his camera saying 'I'd like for you to take a picture of us together. You just have to push this button to operate it.' I was like lolwut? I know how to use a camera. I guess he was being in character because of the tone of his voice, but lol no need to take it THAT far asking me for a favor haha.

Last edited by glassbutterfly : 11-08-2012 at 01:30 AM.
glassbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #30
rogueofheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbutterfly View Post
Oh man this year at AX I was with my friend who was cosplaying Luffy, and this one guy who I assumed was also in cosplay from the same series (white suit and pants with white hat) - I'm not too familiar with One Piece - approached us. I assumed he was just going to take a pic of my friend when he called out his char's name, but then he turned to me and handed me his camera saying 'I'd like for you to take a picture of us together. You just have to push this button to operate it.' I was like lolwut? I know how to use a camera. I guess he was being in character because of the tone of his voice, but lol no need to take it THAT far asking me for a favor haha.
To be fair to him, a lot of cameras these days have a lot of buttons and all laid out differently, so pointing out which of the many buttons it is in and of itself isn't so bad. Though if he was being especially patronising about it then yeah, I can see why that would be annoying.

Quote:
Yes in fact I do but the man was at least 80 or so.
And may very well have kids and/or grandkids who play video games. Heck, with some of the DS family's marketing, maybe he plays himself, or has done in the past. Not all older people are tech-illiterate and Mario is pretty much Nintendo's mascot so he's not exactly an obscure gaming character. I get that it was an awkward situation but he may well not have been pretending - just needing a little memory prompt, perhaps.

As for myself, I haven't had too many awkward moments yet, thankfully (only started cosplaying/going to cons this year) but there was a moment early on the Sunday of London Expo just gone. I believe there was some sort of church event going on at the same time as the Expo, which sort-of explains the first question.

Anyway, shortly after arriving I was just in one of the bathrooms fixing up my make-up (I was dressed as Terezi from Homestuck so grey skin and horns ahoy) and a woman who I guess wasn't part of either event came up and asked were we all part of the same church? (As there were quite a few other cosplayers in there too - and of course, since it was almost Halloween, lots of zombies etc) That, in itself, wasn't so bad and I explained that no, some of us were there for Expo etc.

The awkward part came when, just before she walked off, she commented, "Quite scary, isn't it?" - nice enough about it but I was still stood thinking "What am I supposed to say to that?"
AMFE
* Terezi Pyrope (Homestuck)
rogueofheart is offline   Reply With Quote