Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Kingdom Hearts

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
the.footpad

Vanitas costume (W.I.P)

Hey guys!
I've been into Kingdom hearts for around 10 years now... I literally have loved it from the day it came out (which would make me around 7 when it actually did). Anyways, I've wanted to do a cosplay from Kingdom Hearts for years now... but knowing how I look, which is not like your average 17 year old male... I look like a man in his late 20's, it was tough for me to pick! I had to find someone that either looked like a grown man in Kingdom Hearts, or find someone who I could cover up my face and it still look cool. Well, I could've picked Roxas in his organization coat, and used a black lycra face mask (which I've seen done, and it looks AWESOME), I could've picked anyone that had their face covered! But then it hit me.... I'm a six foot tall (EDIT: just measured today, I'm only 5'11) cross country runner... again, Kingdom hearts characters are relatively short and somewhat boney.... I usually cosplay as people like Booker DeWitt from Bioshock Infinite and people like that, so this was completely new to me!
Well, after searching through different Kingdom Hearts videos, this image pulled up.

Vanitas.... The guy who was always my favorite when I played BBS! I had forgotten completely about him and his awesome mask that he wore! Now, some of you may argue that Vanitas is the same height as Sora in KH2 (which is around 5'9-5'10, which is only 2 inches shorter than I am, but it's still a good bit of a difference) which you would be partially right.... Except for one catch... what about the secret ending of KH2 final mix? And what about in the opening of BBS? He is just as tall as Terra, and almost taller than Master Xehanort...
So finally I had found my character!!!! Now on to my build plan
-The keyblade will be wooden, foam, DAS clay, fiberglass, and bondo.
-The helmet will be Vacuum formed. I will build an actual model of the helmet (non-wearable) and then vaccum form with clear plastic around the helmet, and then tint it black... this is the same process as used in Tron: Legacy to make their helmets (specifically Rinzler and CLU).
-The weird man skirt thing and belt.... hopefully pleather and leather, with a custom made belt dyed red, and then I want to weather the weird manskirt.
-Boots: No idea... I'd appreciate it if someone gave me some ideas or showed me where I may be able to get a hold of some!
-As for the body suit.... heck, this is the most fun part!
The body suit will be made the same way ALL the spider Man suits are made for all the Spider Man movies! It will be done with Dye Sublimation. For those of you who want an example of that, I already have a dye sub suit, and this is what it looks like printed out (it's a giant printer that prints out ink onto Lycra fabric)

The guy who is making the dye sub file for me is making sure it is DEAD ACCURATE to the game (which I payed a lot of money for it... so I sure hope he's being serious! But he's a professional, so I trust him! ). Also, look on the Spider Man dye sub suit above... notice the printed muscle shading? Yep, that will be on the Vanitas suit as well!
Hopefully, with the time and effort I plan on putting into the design of this, it will come out spot on perfect to the game!
Any ideas or feedback about my ideas would be greatly appreciated from you guys!
Thanks!

-

Last edited by the.footpad : 08-29-2013 at 02:28 PM.
the.footpad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I like your ideas. They are really good plans. You should post pics when you get to them.

A little info though, just so you are aware (even though it's no huge deal because height shouldn;t make or break your cosplay plans), but he isn;t very tall at all. HE is the darkness in Ven, therefore the same height as Ven. Now thing of how tall Cloud is suppose to be (about 5'10"ish) and sora is shorter by some nice length. Now, going up to my brother, who is 5'9", I come just about an inch over where sora reaches Cloud. This means I am about the right height. I am about 5'5 1/2". Meaning Roxas is the same height as Ven since he technically IS Ven. This means, since Roxas and Sora are the same height, that must mean Ven and Sora are as well, meaning Vanitas is too. Don't mean to discourage you or anything, just thought I'd put my 2cents in there ^_^ I still think you should cosplay him no matter the height you are. And I would LOVE to see pics of this cosplay when you're done
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
the.footpad

Yeah height in the Kingdom Hearts series doesn't make any sense... that's why (like I said above) I'm going to use the original final mix secret ending video for reference The best Vanitas that I have seen so far has been a guy who was around the same height as I am, so I think that's what really urged me to do it (and, as I'm going to say yet again lol, the original secret ending shows him taller than in the game)
Edit: found this... don't know if it means anything to anyone.
This is off of my computer (It's a screenshot from a 3d modeling program I have), so I can easily say that this picture is 100% real.
The guy in the middle is Booker DeWitt, He has a definite height of 6'1 (according to the game)
That would make Roxas on the right atleast 5'5-5'6 (as you said). But, Vanitas seems to be a bit taller than roxas, at least a good 4-5 inches actually, making him either 5'9 or 5'10 atleast. But, then again, after researching there is no definite height for any of the characters, and according to the research I did, some characters may even appear larger or smaller than they are. The character models like I added bellow are about accurate, but even then there's room for error. thats why kingdom hearts is both a good and bad cosplay choice though. Sure you've got a lot of interpretation, but there is no definite height standard.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong, but when you take video game models, and then put them all on the same scale with each other, this is what it looks like. I'm trying to see Terra as well, but I don't know when I will be able to get a hold of his model.

Last edited by the.footpad : 07-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

You do notice that roxas and vanitas are not standing in the same spot right? You have vanitas' feet higher then roxas' feet, making him appear taller. As well as vanitas' boots have taller soles then roxas. Taking that slight thickness away, then putting them standing in the same place, they are the same height
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
the.footpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
You do notice that roxas and vanitas are not standing in the same spot right? You have vanitas' feet higher then roxas' feet, making him appear taller. As well as vanitas' boots have taller soles then roxas. Taking that slight thickness away, then putting them standing in the same place, they are the same height
I'm at Disney, so I can't take another picture, but I can promise you, with all my hearts that not only is vanitas taller, but that's the angle that's making vanitas look like he's floating. He isn't. His and roxas' feet are both leveled down to zero.
Btw, please don't think I'm arguing,I'm really not. I just know what I'm talking about e cause its on my computer. Vanitas feet are tilted slightly upward making him appear floating.
Not only that, but soda comes up to around Trina shoulder, jack sparrows shoulder, and Leon's shoulder... How is that possible? Tron (in real life) is 6'2, Johnny depp is 5'10, and Leon is 5'8... But sora comes up to the same spot on all three.... Which literally makes him with no definite height.... Weird right?
Edit: wait a minute!!!! Vanitas is farther back then roxas!!! That's what makes him look floating! I knew it wasn't possible to have them both leveled at zero and yet ones floating!!
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well, I hate arguing, but I just did a measure too. I took off the slight extra height that vanitas' shoes have, and measured from just slightly under the top of the dome of the helmet (his head wouldn;t be directly at the top anyway, gotta thingk about that too), then, keeping my hand on that measurement, I measured roxas. It came out exacty the same..

And I totally understand that they are all messed up measurements anyway, so I have no idea what the reason is for us even getting into this because it shouldn't matter who someone cosplays, they should never make the height a reason not to do it. I mean, I cosplayed cloud quite a bit, obviously after all I have said, he's much taller then I am lol

Though, to be a hypocrite for a second here, Sora's height was EXACTLY the first reason I wanted to cosplay him haha. And the way I know Sora's height, is based off the keyblade. It was said that the official length of the kingdom key was 36" not including the loop where the chain clips. So I saw where the length went compared to him in tha game by having the camera at a side view, and holding the kingdom key. I meansured the keyblade, then saw how far up from the shoes it went on his body. It goes to the same basic area on me. and yes this includes wearing shoes that are height accurate (being having those bigger soles on them). That was how I determained his height (oh, and this is to the top of his head, not the top of the spikes.

Now, there IS one thing that could make my thinking of vanitas wrong. There is never a scene with roxas and ven together, so we can;t be 100% they were suppose to be the same height. Meaning ven could have been taller for all we know, which would more prove your idea of vanitas being taller. Maybe the roxas was the same height as sora ONLY because he was his nobody. Maybe he isn;t the same height as ven because technically he's not ven's nobody..

God this series is so confusing..They must do this shit on purpose haha
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
the.footpad

Quote:
Well, I hate arguing, but I just did a measure too. I took off the slight extra height that vanitas' shoes have, and measured from just slightly under the top of the dome of the helmet (his head wouldn;t be directly at the top anyway, gotta thingk about that too), then, keeping my hand on that measurement, I measured roxas. It came out exacty the same..

And I totally understand that they are all messed up measurements anyway, so I have no idea what the reason is for us even getting into this because it shouldn't matter who someone cosplays, they should never make the height a reason not to do it. I mean, I cosplayed cloud quite a bit, obviously after all I have said, he's much taller then I am lol

Though, to be a hypocrite for a second here, Sora's height was EXACTLY the first reason I wanted to cosplay him haha. And the way I know Sora's height, is based off the keyblade. It was said that the official length of the kingdom key was 36" not including the loop where the chain clips. So I saw where the length went compared to him in tha game by having the camera at a side view, and holding the kingdom key. I meansured the keyblade, then saw how far up from the shoes it went on his body. It goes to the same basic area on me. and yes this includes wearing shoes that are height accurate (being having those bigger soles on them). That was how I determained his height (oh, and this is to the top of his head, not the top of the spikes.

Now, there IS one thing that could make my thinking of vanitas wrong. There is never a scene with roxas and ven together, so we can;t be 100% they were suppose to be the same height. Meaning ven could have been taller for all we know, which would more prove your idea of vanitas being taller. Maybe the roxas was the same height as sora ONLY because he was his nobody. Maybe he isn;t the same height as ven because technically he's not ven's nobody..

God this series is so confusing..They must do this shit on purpose haha
They do it to mess with people like you and I.... Trust me.... 0_0 there are forums online with people guessing the heights of KH characters, and for years all these perfectionist have been arguing about it! 0_0
But all seriousness, your right, the heights in this game are as messed up as all get out! But like I said, makes room for interpretation, so that's cool with me
And don't worry, you said nothing wrong pal! Neither of us did! If anything we were just talking, not arguing!
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yay for not arguing then haha That makes me feel a bit better ^_^

Anyway, yes, they do it top piss us off..Notice how they do a whole crap load of stuff that does that though lol Either way I can;t wait to see this
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
the.footpad

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm curious to see the sifferent characters heights once compared to each other, so I may download some more and check it out...
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

You should get sora and roxas and see if they are the same height. If they aren't, then you know the sizes on the things you are using are not correct lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
the.footpad

Quote:
You should get sora and roxas and see if they are the same height. If they aren't, then you know the sizes on the things you are using are not correct lol
That's a good idea... Yeah sometimes when you import them in, they will show up a bit big or a bit small, but you have to size them according to their head and hand sizes. Like, Dora and Rojas should be on the same scale if their head and hands are the same size.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea, that's a good plan for it. If you get the hands and head the same size, and they are still not the same height, then you know something's wrong haha
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
the.footpad

Quote:
Yea, that's a good plan for it. If you get the hands and head the same size, and they are still not the same height, then you know something's wrong haha
Dude, I think I figured it out!

There ya go! There's all the heights and all of some very important characters.
I will say, here is what I can tell:
-Sephiroth is 6'1, according to research. That means that since Xemnas is the same height, he is too.
-Sora and Roxas are a good bit shorter than that... probably between 5'5 and 5'7
-Vanitas is taller than Roxas and Sora by about 4 or 5 inches, making him maybe 5'9-5'10
-Zack is probably around 6' or 6'1 (in BBS). In the FF series, he's 6'3 (since he is older then).
Also found out some bitter sweet news today... I'm actually only 5'11 (I got measured).... I'm not even 6 foot yet..... good for this cosplay, no doubt, but I would have liked to have been a little over 6 foot....

Also, since some people have similar questions like I do about Kingdom Hearts characters heights, should I start a thread using pictures like the one I just posted above to clear everything up for everyone? I'd be happy to use all the characters that I could find....

Last edited by the.footpad : 07-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I think that Zack is off.He's suppose to be pretty young (teens like sora) and about the same height as Sora..And that Sephiroth is not correct either. Cloud is suppose to be 5'9" and if venitas is also that height, then obviously it's wrong. Cloud is suppose to come up to about the chin on sephiroth even in this game. but vanitas comes up to mid face, meaning I thinnk only the sephiroth is off on that part. But roxas and sora seem to be the same height, so that's good. I think some of them are just off though..I honestly wouldn't bother trying to do this anymore since it's now proven that some of them are wrong. Honestly, I think we need to stop takling about all the heights because it's actually dumb to even worry about..I mean, look how much we are already going through, for GAME PHYSICS!! HAAHAHAHA That's a gamer for ya huh haha

Anyway, you are pretty tall..Not fair..I wanna be taller lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
the.footpad

Yeah, I think everything is way too off and just... not right... hahaha! I think no matter what that something is going to be off.. ooooh Kingdom Hearts..... hahaha!
And thank you haha!