Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > A-Kon

Unread 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #136
Zaiten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagz View Post
I actually used water activated tape, less adhesive sticky mess and smell once it's put together, though with how it came out I am still planning a thin layer to cover it and protect it and my future armors from one another, I also plan to sew a sleeve for it for fabric work. Gotta keep it all safe and all.

As for panels I gotta say they are a blast to do. I have done a couple and it's always so nice to help people, my favorites are the ones that people are really active and ask lots of questions. =)
Ha, I have too much duct tape everywhere that I feel like I'm forced to use it. I use it for work, cosplays, you name it. Which is funny because half the time I end up needing another tape.. like masking for texture, or painter's tape for less sticky-mess.

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #137
Kagz
ADD Allstar

Yea it was my first time using water activated tape. It's really cheap and surprisingly strong. I see myself using quite a lot of it in the future.

Cons 2013
Allcon
Akon
Tokyo in Tulsa
PAX
Glitchcon
Izumicon
Ikkicon

Costumes in the works
Ms. Marvel (remake) Complete
Nayru In Repair
Sylvanas Windrunner 90%
Sailor V 90%
Felicita 50%
Squigly 15%
Tifa Lockheart -planning-
Kuro Usagi -planning-
Sakuya -planning-
Kagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #138
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Oh, you don't have to be an expert to run a panel. Heaven knows, I'm not one, yet they keep asking me to teach for some reason...anyways, if you become an expert, those are the sorts of people who should really be running the panels, because we can pick their brain! Mmmm, brains.

I find that having a commercial dressform has two distinct advantages over DIY dressforms: 1) you can stick pins safely and easily into commercial dressforms, and 2) if you change proportions (i.e. weight loss, surgery, etc), your dressform can easily change to match.

4 more months, people. A-Kon has started temporary Facebook forums to take the place of their web forums for now, so check those out if you're looking for photoshoot information. The links are on A-Kon's homepage and Twitter accounts.

For now, back to bed for me. Why are there never enough hours in the day to get things done when you really need to?
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #139
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I agree on the not needing to be an expert to run panels. I had such a fear of doing it, and last year I started hosting some on cosplay at a smaller con in my hometown and when I applied to run another one this year the head of the cosplay staff was so excited that I wanted to do it again. She said it was really well received and reviewed (on a somewhat related note I was asked to be a guest judge for their cosplay contest this year, which was like "OMG!!!! Awesome!"). You honestly never know what you might learn from others, experts or not though. We can all teach each other stuff.

And just four months...I haven't gotten a chance to start my cosplay for A-kon because I have commissions to get out of the way first. I figure if I have April and May to take care of Caterina and Juvia I should be okay, though Caterina is going to be a lot of appliqueing. At least I have the wigs and boots for both characters, and most of my fabrics and my boning for Caterina. I should be able to get started soon.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #140
Kagz
ADD Allstar

Yea I still plan to buy a new dress form mine was eaten by an old room mates dog. :\

But I like this for now especially for armor because if it gets messed up I only lose a few bucks. one 8 buck roll of paper tape is is enough to do 3-4 forms. I am adding a little resin to it which ups the cost but not to much and I can reuse all the stuffing for my next one. Either way it will still be nice to have something to work on again.

Man I can't believe it's so close there is still so much to do. Time to get crackin!

Cons 2013
Allcon
Akon
Tokyo in Tulsa
PAX
Glitchcon
Izumicon
Ikkicon

Costumes in the works
Nayru In Repair
Sylvanas Windrunner 90%
Sailor V 90%
Felicita 50%
Squigly 15%
Kuro Usagi -planning-
Sakuya -planning-
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #141
Zaiten

Well, well, I'll take that into consideration. :3 I'd love to be able to help people. And running a panel sounds like fun.. well, if they're anything like the one's I've been to! They are such fun.

As for cosplays, I've finally gotten a chance to buy some fabric and now I'm going to have some random cosplays added in thanks to the discount fabric bin. =D

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #142
Hannuh
Princess Tofu

So far my line-up is Princess Shirahoshi, Kyubey, and Fem!Shizuo(as always lol.)

I might add in Blue Rose if my boyfriend finishes his Wild Tiger suit in time. ^O^
Hannuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #143
Kagz
ADD Allstar

Zaiten - go for it it's a great way to meet people and in my opinion nothing feels as good as being able to help people.

Starting some minor work on Squigly this weekend I really want to make this piece stand out. Especially Levi there is so much to do with him. So hooray for going out of my comfort zone and *fingers crossed* succeeding to make something cool... I hope anyways.

Cons 2013
Allcon
Akon
Tokyo in Tulsa
PAX
Glitchcon
Izumicon
Ikkicon

Costumes in the works
Nayru In Repair
Sylvanas Windrunner 90%
Sailor V 90%
Felicita 50%
Squigly 15%
Kuro Usagi -planning-
Sakuya -planning-
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #144
u-tv
Registered Loser

I'm planning on cosplaying
Wheatley (Portal 2)
Trickster!Jake (Homestuck)
and
Jade Harley (Homestuck).
u-tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #145
KennyCiel
Tiny cosplayer

I thinking of adding Kenny from South Park to the list of cosplays I'm bringing.
It'd be a casual Summer!Kenny but, I dunno where I'd be able to fit it in...
Wendy Marvell-Fairy Tail
KennyCiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #146
SparkyCat13

Hey! I'm gonna be Jellal from Fairy Tail this year.

My friend and I noticed last year that there are always several Erzas, but we've never once seen a Jellal, and she really wanted there to be one, so I decided I'd do it! XD

She'll be accompanying me as Erza as well.

This will be my fifth A-Kon, but I've never been to the Hilton. I was a bit nervous about it being at a new hotel, but the positive comments about it earlier in this thread made me feel much better about it.

I'm also planning on making my own costume for the first time. Any advice for a first-time costume sewer? XD;
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #147
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCat13 View Post
Hey! I'm gonna be Jellal from Fairy Tail this year.

My friend and I noticed last year that there are always several Erzas, but we've never once seen a Jellal, and she really wanted there to be one, so I decided I'd do it! XD

She'll be accompanying me as Erza as well.

This will be my fifth A-Kon, but I've never been to the Hilton. I was a bit nervous about it being at a new hotel, but the positive comments about it earlier in this thread made me feel much better about it.

I'm also planning on making my own costume for the first time. Any advice for a first-time costume sewer? XD;
I'm so happy to see more people planning Fairy Tail costumes! I will hopefully have my Juvia costume ready for A-kon and probably will wear it Friday at the con.

As for advice: get started now! You don't want to end up rushed for time and end up with a bad cosplay. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions. People will readily assist you in finding patterns or pointing you to the right fabrics to use. Also: patience. And if you learn this one, please for the love of all that is holy, let me know how you do it. I preach patience with costumes all the time but can find myself getting exasperated very quickly.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #148
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Hrm, that's already two other Erzas....now I'm rethinking my plan to do Erza for A-Kon. Maybe I should put it off until A-Fest and use the extra time for a different Requip.

As far as sewing your first costume, the biggest three tips I can give you:

1) Take your time. Don't rush things.

2) Measure and fit twice, cut once.

3) The best cosplay is both functional and beautiful. Being comfortable, being able to move, and having storage (pockets, handbag, pouches) are invaluable to a good cosplay. Take those into account when making your cosplay.
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #149
SparkyCat13

Mehdia -- I'm looking forward to seeing your cosplay! Hopefully I'll be able to get a picture at the Kon.

Celyddon -- Sorry about the Erza thing. >_<; Different requips are cool though! I feel like having more Erzas wouldn't be a bad thing if they were all wearing different outfits. Like, I know my friend is going to be doing one of her simpler outfits for various reasons. And you were going to do....the kimono, right? That would be so pretty!

And thank you both for the advice! Pockets aren't something I thought about doing, but now that's going to be high on my list! And I'll definitely be asking questions. It's good to know that there are people willing to help. I'm going to start ASAP.
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #150
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

No no, Sparky, don't be sorry--I am simply one of those types of cosplayers who prefers to be unique in terms of which character(s) they bring to a convention. Personal preference. If I did bring Erza, yes, it would be the Robe of Yuen, mostly because I don't have time to do anything more complicated. My next intended project, assuming I don't turn back to Sif, would be Raitei no Yoroi. Along with re-doing all of the armor for cosplays I already have.

Though to be honest, at this point, whether or not I even get to make a second costume is fully dependent on how much free time I have between now and the Kon. I'll be in school until May 18, and the only times I get solid blocks of work done are on the weekends. There's not that many weekends between now and the Kon. I just have too much of a homework load with accelerated college courses.