Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Rirukuo

Dramatic skits vs. comedy.What's more entertaining?

Hello : )
One year ago my cosplay group made our first skit. It was a Naruto dance/comedy skit, since we only got one week to do the skit AND the costumes. It turned out pretty bad, but the audience loved it and everyone complimented us and we are remembered for that skit now, lol.
This year we made a very dramatic High School of the Dead skit with a bit of comedy in it. It was a lot better than last year, and we got hired to preform a skit at another con i April!! We thought the skit was pretty good, not really good, but OK.
So, for the con in April we obviously need to make a good skit! We have a great idea about a Higurashi no naku koro ni skit, which will be very dramatic. But then we started thinking that maybe a comedy skit would be more appreciated? We only started going to cons a year and a half ago, so we don't know much about what the audience at cons like.

What do you think? What is more entertaining of a dramatic skit and a comedy skit?

(And FYI, here in Norway Higurashi is one of the most popular animes, so that's why we think we can do a dramatic Higurashi skit, and people will still get it.)

Thanks for reading!

Unread 10-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Holierthanthou
Haku Strider

Well, my cosplay group did a dramatic skit for a not very dramatic anime (Hetalia), and it was most definitely appreciated. We won first for skits and everyone was complimenting us afterwards :3 I think, especially because Higurashi is known more for its drama and gore (oh god the fingernail scene -shudders-), there should be no problem doing a dramatic skit. A good skit is a good skit, no matter what genre it is ^^
Russia-APH (FINISHED), Dave Strider- Homestuck (FINISHED), Terezi Pyrope- Homestuck (FINISHED), Feferi Peixes- Homestuck (FINISHED), Sherlock Holmes- Sherlock (FINISHED), Cecil Palmer- Welcome to Night Vale (FINISHED), Grell Sutcliff- Kuroshitsuji (99% Done), Cicero- Skyrim (30% Done)

Facebook ~ Tumblr ~ Deviantart
Holierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

It totally depends on how well either is performed, and how well you judge your audience. Some jokes will work well with certain audiences and not others. Similarly, a very rowdy audience of kids may not 'get' a serious dramatic piece that would be amazing at another event.

When it comes down to it, though, both can be very effective; neither is more entertaining just as a rule.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Rirukuo

ok, thank you! I think we're going with the Higurashi skit then!
Unread 11-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Satine

Totally seconding what has already been said.

I have judged performances where so much was said with so few words. I've also judged performnces with lots of witty banter. I enjoyed the ones that gave no apologies for what they were the most Even though we get a bit of a rowdy audience of casual attendees these are the performances that go down best with an audience too

In theatrical circles it's called being present, or having energy. It's mainly about focus and commitment to what you have started You can hve that regardless of the genre
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There is a difference, though, between masquerade performances done for the sake of competition, and being hired to perform in a show (as is what it seems is done in Norway? Perhaps other countries?).

Most of the tips here about entertaining the audience are fairly universal, but if you're being paid to entertain the crowd by the con, and they chose you because you're good performers with good costumes, then do what you think the audience will really enjoy and it doesn't matter if it's comedy or drama, action, dance, or anything in between. What's at stake is merely their enjoyment, and possibly the option of being hired by the con again in future years. It's not the same as over here in the States where performances are being done in competition, for the sake of winning awards as well as being artful and interesting and entertaining to the audience. So there are some differences.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Rirukuo

Thank you so much for your opinions!

There have been competitions here in Norway too, but it seems that there were too few groups who would participate, so I think they stopped with it all together, which is really sad. But we're hoping to maybe inspire other people to make cosplay/skit groups, so that the cons will start hosting skit competitions again.
And it's not usual to hire cosplayers to do performances here either. We have been told that we are the first group to be hired by a con here in Norway. So the pressure to preform well is big!
Unread 11-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Good luck, then! Maybe in that case it's not so much trying to figure out what the audience might want or like best, because you're doing something sort of new and untested. Put together something you really want to perform, and do it well, be amazing, and they'll like it no matter whether it's dramatic or funny. You could be setting the standard for others to try to live up to someday!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Rirukuo

Your words are so inspiring, really, thank you so much!