Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Marvel Universe

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Yukichin
ubernerd

Wiccan/Young Avengers?

I know there's already a thread or two with some advice, but I'd like something a little more current. I really would love to cosplay Wiccan, but I'm not sure where I'd even start with the bodysuit. It looks like it'd be shiny, but not so shiny as to look like patent leather, so something like a unitard from a dance supply store wouldn't work because it's too matte.

What do you guys think? I'm not strong with sewing, so preferably something a little less labour-intensive. The action figure for him doesn't have the pattern on the entirety of his suit, so perhaps that would be okay to go with?
Yukichin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
FeyMeggan

I would actually suggest something more matte than the references. If you think about it this way: when people take your picture they'll typically use a flash, flash will make anything even a little shiny/reflective VERY much more so. So, you may end up sacrificing a bit of authenticity, but it will result in a more photogenic costume. Also you can look for different Lycra mixes of dance-ware, if you're heart is set on the shine, they do exist.

As to the pattern/no pattern, that is a personal call. Do you WANT to have all the details? Do you want to MAKE all the details? There is never a 'wrong' answer, just go with the amount of work you want to put into it, and that you're capable of doing.

Sanity Check
Costume list 2009: Finished 17 initially planned :: 15 completed :: 6 moved to next year
Costume list 2010: Started 6 from '09 :: 9 initially planned, now up to 22 total
FeyMeggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Yukichin
ubernerd

I'd love to do the pattern and make it closer to what we see in the comic books, but I'm at a loss on how I'd be able to make them subtle enough--maybe swirling with a little black paint so it catches light without being HEY LOOK SWIRLY PATTERN AND LINES?

I've seen people use lycra or some such fabric and it looks FAR too shiny, but I've also seen them use regular matte fabric and it looks like pajamas to me, so I'm really not sure what I could do. What would I even plug into google for it? "Bodysuit"...?

I'm also, quite frankly, a bit concerned on how the costume would fit on me--I'm not exactly chubby, but I'm not thin, either, so it's a slight point of concern.
Unread 12-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Silver Ash
海女儿

There are some faux leathers that strike a nice balance between a flat sheen and matte.
Silver Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
FeyMeggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichin View Post
I'd love to do the pattern and make it closer to what we see in the comic books, but I'm at a loss on how I'd be able to make them subtle enough--maybe swirling with a little black paint so it catches light without being HEY LOOK SWIRLY PATTERN AND LINES?
There's lots of options, though if you don't want to sew your own body suit I'd say the easiest would be to dilute a silver and black paint and use it to paint on the swirls while wearing it(so they get in the right spot). Play with the mixture to get the right amount of contrast without the 'oh hai I got painted' look. Airbrushing would also work.

Quote:
I've seen people use lycra or some such fabric and it looks FAR too shiny, but I've also seen them use regular matte fabric and it looks like pajamas to me, so I'm really not sure what I could do. What would I even plug into google for it? "Bodysuit"...?
I put in 'dancewear lycra' and pulled up a bunch of suppliers and started looking through what they offered. There is never going to be something 'perfect' premade. If you want exact you typically have to do it yourself. Looking at what you want through I would avoid body suits, you're looking more for leggings and a short sleeved top. If you can find it as a single peice more power to you, but it'll be easier to get it as two separates.

Quote:
I'm also, quite frankly, a bit concerned on how the costume would fit on me--I'm not exactly chubby, but I'm not thin, either, so it's a slight point of concern.
Then don't get a body suit, look into mens gymnastic wear, or skinny jeans, or something that isn't skin tight. If you don't want/can't wear skin tight don't do skin tight. Look at the character design, most of what focuses the attention isn't his body suit. Make sure you have the cloak, the headband and the bracers and you've got most of it set, you could wear a tight t-shirt and jeans and black boots and it would still give the 'feel' of the character.

Let's face it, comic artist don't deal in reality of what people would wear. It makes no sense to wear a skin tight body suit if you're planning on fighting with someone. Mostly since we don't have Pym Particles/Unstable Molecular Fabric there is no feasible way to get in and out of all of their outfits. So take their design as a 'look' and make it work on you.

Sanity Check
Costume list 2009: Finished 17 initially planned :: 15 completed :: 6 moved to next year
Costume list 2010: Started 6 from '09 :: 9 initially planned, now up to 22 total
FeyMeggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Yukichin
ubernerd

I love the idea of grounding cosplays in somewhat-more-realistic ideas--maybe leggings and a black, say, Under Armour shirt would do okay; it'd still look superhero-y, but not too outlandish, more like something a teenager would actually construct. And then the little belt part with the round bits would cover up the fact that they're not actually connected. That'd work, right?

EDIT: Either that, or I've found what looks like maybe an inexpensive wetsuit?
http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...aign=Henderson

Amazon provided the link, but I don't know if I should consider that or go with something else like Under Armour or something.

Last edited by Yukichin : 12-26-2012 at 10:39 PM.