Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Painting Boots?

Hi guys,

I recently got a pair of cowboy boots and I thought they would be great for my Marceline cosplay I'm working for the ACEN convention this up coming May.

I had spray painted them red, and they looked/worked fine. Yet after a day of walking in them (Halloween) the paint chipped where my feet bent to walk. So the natural color of the boots are coming out now that the paint is chipping off.

I used Mod Podge's Clear Acrylic Sealer (the spray) and it still chipped.

I was thinking that maybe acrylic paint would be better then spray paint since it may be more flexible..
Is there another way that I can paint these without having to retouch them after every use?

I'm a noob to cosplay and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,826
u need a paint thats flexible. id think about fabric paint?
__________________
Cosplays~~~~~~
Anime and Kpop cosplaying is life~
KCON:
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
heaven_firings
Registered User
 
heaven_firings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 546
I've been looking at getting this stuff.
TARRAGO Dye

It's actually intended for coloring leather/leather substitutes. I was thinking of getting it for the Greek style sandals I want for Male!Anarchy Panty. I don't have the original source that linked this stuff but they basically used it to recolor black pumps and made them a lighter color, so you might give this stuff a look too.
__________________
Tentative Debuts for 2013
Laxus Dreyar (Fairy Tail)
Hiccup (HTTYD2)
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,511
The fact that you've already spray painted them makes this discussion moot. Forcibly removing the paint will ruin the boots as well as the fact that the spray paint has affected the surface of the leather already. You can put a flexible paint over a non-flexible paint, but the rigid underneath layer will continue to crack and peel, resulting in the same issues you are already having.
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
u need a paint thats flexible. id think about fabric paint?
I was thinking of a flexible paint too, that may work, i'll take a look into it
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven_firings View Post
I've been looking at getting this stuff.
TARRAGO Dye

It's actually intended for coloring leather/leather substitutes. I was thinking of getting it for the Greek style sandals I want for Male!Anarchy Panty. I don't have the original source that linked this stuff but they basically used it to recolor black pumps and made them a lighter color, so you might give this stuff a look too.
I may actually just get this! it seems to be something that would really work. the boots themselves are faux leather, so it works with the dye. thank you for the link!!
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
The fact that you've already spray painted them makes this discussion moot. Forcibly removing the paint will ruin the boots as well as the fact that the spray paint has affected the surface of the leather already. You can put a flexible paint over a non-flexible paint, but the rigid underneath layer will continue to crack and peel, resulting in the same issues you are already having.
I suppose those are good points. I have already removed the paint though, just by peeling large chunks off. the faux leather is fine, from what i can see. I'm experimenting so I;m not too upset. Got the boots for $10 bucks from a friend.
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoFedora View Post
I suppose those are good points. I have already removed the paint though, just by peeling large chunks off. the faux leather is fine, from what i can see. I'm experimenting so I;m not too upset. Got the boots for $10 bucks from a friend.
I ment to say I have attempted to remove the paint.
Would you happen to have ideas on how to remove it completely?
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,511
A chemical remover (thinner, turpentine, etc.) is guaranteed to ruin the material under the paint, whether real leather or a vinyl. You could try wire brushing areas where it's holding on, but it will mar the surface, but how much depends on your skill with the wire brush and the type you get (wire brushes come in different grades, you want the softest one you can get).
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
A chemical remover (thinner, turpentine, etc.) is guaranteed to ruin the material under the paint, whether real leather or a vinyl. You could try wire brushing areas where it's holding on, but it will mar the surface, but how much depends on your skill with the wire brush and the type you get (wire brushes come in different grades, you want the softest one you can get).
So if i get this brush, and I magically manage to remove all of the paint, do you believe I should go searching for a dye kit of some sort or would the damage made just make the process useless?
(thank you for the help by the way, I appreciate it very much! I'm an idiot)
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
TheCosplayFox
Registered User
 
TheCosplayFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 955
I'd try searching around for a new pair of shoes.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,511
If you get the old paint off with a wire brush, it's going to create a rough texture on the surface. Dye only works on leather, it won't work on vinyl. Flexible paint will work on either, but there is no guarantee that it will disguise the surface texture, it might even emphasize it.
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
If you get the old paint off with a wire brush, it's going to create a rough texture on the surface. Dye only works on leather, it won't work on vinyl. Flexible paint will work on either, but there is no guarantee that it will disguise the surface texture, it might even emphasize it.
Gotcha, thanks for the help. I'll see how this goes along.
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
MedievalGirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 93
The texture form the wire brush may help the paint adhere to the boots.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
MangoFedora
Tea Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievalGirl View Post
The texture form the wire brush may help the paint adhere to the boots.
I also thought the texture may make the boots look cooler too
I just need to actually find a paint I can depend on
MangoFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.