Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
girlsincostumes

Needing Cosplay Pictures

How is everyone? Well, I hope. I'm needing some picture advice from the Cosplay Forums.

I just started working on a website called HotGirlsInCostumes.com. It's still in the beginning phases of development (programming, functionality, etc.). Everything seems to be coming along nicely, though, which is cool.

I'm posting, primarily, because I'm looking to obtain pictures of girls in costumes. I'm having some difficulty building a cache/stock of pictures; it's pretty tough out there. I figured Cosplay.com, with its large community of hobbyists and photographers alike, would be a good resource for some wise words. Do you all know of any resources out there I could use to obtain pictures or to advertise my need for pictures? Are there any people, photographers or otherwise, you all would recommend I contact? Please advise.

While this is my first post here at the Cosplay.com Forums, I hope you don't take it as trolling or obnoxious. I really like what you all do and respect it - especially from the creative standpoint and attention to detail. It's a really neat passion, and I love the pics.

I look forward to hearing back from you all, and to interacting on these forums in the future. Any sort of advice tendered will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TTYL,

Dave
girlsincostumes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

What's your budget for licensing photos?

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
girlsincostumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
What's your budget for licensing photos?
Thanks for the reply. Budget for licensing would be negotiable. But the whole licensing point is kind of a question mark in and of itself, also. I'm new to this whole 'picture game' and learning on my feet as I go. As a professional yourself, is there a standard industry rate for licensed photographs? If not, what would be acceptable? Or, moreover, would it be more cost effective and sensible to just hire a photographer to shoot at a select costume/cosplay event and pay for the photos en masse?
girlsincostumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Is your site a commercial venture? A couple of issues you may or may not know are:
Most cosplay photographers do not have model releases for the people they photograph. That, in itself is not a legal problem unless you're a commercial venture and then there could be issues depending on what you do with the pictures. The second issue is age. Many cosplayers are minors and hosting their pictures on a site called "HotGirlsInCostumes" sounds like a recipe for trouble.

One source you can try is ModelMayhem.com. It's not a cosplay-centric site but many cosplayer are registered there.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Please don't take this as a personal issue against you, I give you kudos for coming onto forums and looking for the right way to do things.

However, personally, I would be offended to find a photo of myself on a website like that. And because of that, please do make sure you're getting disclosure from the girls IN the photograph, and not just accepting photos from people who took them. Be very open to removing photos when requested by girls.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
evaunit01berser
Banned

::cough:nerdsaresexy.com::cough::
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Aktrez
Leading Lady

I tend to agree with Nostrum, While it's flattering to call a girl "hot" ... having a website called "hotgirlsincostumes" sort of demeans what most of us here are trying to overcome. We are more than just "hot girls in costumes". We are crafters, seamstresses, actresses, prop makers. SKILLED girls (and guys) in costumes. I think it would be pandering to the audience who doesn't really appreciate the craftmanship that goes into cosplaying.

Kudos for being polite and doing research. You did ask for thoughts and therefore, I too am being honest. Being in the cosplay world for a while, I think you will have a very hard time finding legitimate costumers and photographers who feel otherwise.

A site highlighting skilled costumers is not a bad idea, in and of itself. I think it's just a poor choice in wording.

Best of luck!
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
ExileFayt
Live, Laugh, Cosplay!

Aktrez took the words out of my mouth.
Even though it has already been said, you should know there aren't just 2 people replying to this who feel that way.
While it is flattering being considered attractive or "hot", many female cosplayers do not like the idea of being objectified. Having confidence in our costumes is a feeling of pride we get from bringing a character to life through our craftsmanship. I think the women of cosplay would rather get recognition for their skill set rather than the curves of their body.

Last edited by ExileFayt : 11-16-2012 at 12:44 AM.
ExileFayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
loonyemi

I'm gonna be honest...

Talking about how you respect our "attention to detail" from a "creative standpoint" doesn't really jive with the fact that most of the pictures on your site are blurry camera phone pictures of commercially available costumes.

My first impression, and it seems I'm not alone, is that you want to run a spank bank, not a costume showcase site. That isn't really what we do here.
loonyemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

I'm dittoing the "spank bank" comments. When you start featuring "hot girls" wearing gorgeous ballgowns or full armor, I'll take you a little more seriously.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
ExileFayt
Live, Laugh, Cosplay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyemi View Post
I'm gonna be honest...

Talking about how you respect our "attention to detail" from a "creative standpoint" doesn't really jive with the fact that most of the pictures on your site are blurry camera phone pictures of commercially available costumes.

My first impression, and it seems I'm not alone, is that you want to run a spank bank, not a costume showcase site. That isn't really what we do here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
I'm dittoing the "spank bank" comments. When you start featuring "hot girls" wearing gorgeous ballgowns or full armor, I'll take you a little more seriously.

Thank you.
ExileFayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
blueheart29
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktrez View Post
I tend to agree with Nostrum, While it's flattering to call a girl "hot" ... having a website called "hotgirlsincostumes" sort of demeans what most of us here are trying to overcome. We are more than just "hot girls in costumes". We are crafters, seamstresses, actresses, prop makers. SKILLED girls (and guys) in costumes. I think it would be pandering to the audience who doesn't really appreciate the craftmanship that goes into cosplaying.

Kudos for being polite and doing research. You did ask for thoughts and therefore, I too am being honest. Being in the cosplay world for a while, I think you will have a very hard time finding legitimate costumers and photographers who feel otherwise.

A site highlighting skilled costumers is not a bad idea, in and of itself. I think it's just a poor choice in wording.

Best of luck!
I'm really with Aktrez on this one. Also, given your current postings, it would definitely cause problems with what Surfsama is saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
Is your site a commercial venture? A couple of issues you may or may not know are:
Most cosplay photographers do not have model releases for the people they photograph. That, in itself is not a legal problem unless you're a commercial venture and then there could be issues depending on what you do with the pictures. The second issue is age. Many cosplayers are minors and hosting their pictures on a site called "HotGirlsInCostumes" sounds like a recipe for trouble.

One source you can try is ModelMayhem.com. It's not a cosplay-centric site but many cosplayer are registered there.
Also, many females crossplay, do you plan to leave those women out? I know some great female cosplayers who crossplay.

But from your site, all I see is women in feminine and skimpy clothing. So I'm not getting a great first impression. You might want to go with a different theme if you want support. That or maybe you should pose this question to another forum site.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I would be very uncomfortable if my picture ended up on this site. (Not to mention the majority of my female friends would feel the same.)
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Sevin-K
Did you shoot me!?

I'm in full agreement with pretty much everyone who's already posted here. Plus, I've stumbled upon my pictures being used on "sexy costume" sites and on a "fappable Friday" list, and I was less than pleased. And none of those sites had taken the pictures themselves, either; they'd just trawled the internet and snagged other people's pictures, with or without a link to the original source (and almost certainly without permission).

I'd be more supportive if you grabbed a camera and went around taking your own pictures, talk to the costumers, tell them who you are and what you do, maybe even ask about the why and how of their costume. That wouldn't be unique these days, but it'd be way better than where it looks like you're headed so far.

I'm also kind of curious as to how you obtained the rights to use the pictures in the background of your site? They're stock photographs of standard costumes sold in Halloween stores all over the place, and while they are sort of ubiquitous, I'm pretty sure they'd be copyrighted...

See:
http://www.bestcostumesite.com/Playb...me_p_1121.html
and
http://www.bestcostumesite.com/Candy...ume_p_323.html

Best of luck to you in whatever you end up doing. Sorry if it requires a new domain name. =)
Unread 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
djlemma

This thread is just filled with bad news. Everybody if giving lots of good advice and lots of very important warnings...

Even so, I'm still going to ask- what is the ultimate goal of this web site? A blog that generates a little bit of revenue from advertisements? Or do you plan to sell things- calendars, t-shirts, I don't know..

Right now it doesn't look like there's a lot to differentiate the site from a host of tumblr blogs with similar subject matter, aside from having more prevalent advertisements. You probably could consider the site to be 'journalistic' in nature, and not require model releases, but you're still on very shaky ground when it comes to image rights. I'd say look at the creative commons licensing agreements that are available, figure out which ones have terms you can accept, and then search on flickr or similar sites for images that already have the appropriate licensing terms.

If your web site is going to be a purely commercial venture and you're going to make calendars of hot cosplay girls or something, then you should hire a photographer and models and get full rights and releases for everything.

I don't take any personal issue with sites about hot girls wearing hot outfits- I'm a guy. I like boobs. But tread lightly because there are a lot of ways to do it wrong.....

I know I'm repeating some of what others have said, but that's my 2 cents..