Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
MewAozora~

Arrow Mew Ichigo { Tokyo Mew Mew } Strawberry Bell?

What materials are best to use to make a fluffy Strawberry Bell?
MewAozora~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Photos please
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
MewAozora~

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
Photos please
MewAozora~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
ErzaScarlet

The bell in her hand I belive is what shes asking for.
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Based on Google Image search, they did make a commercial Strawberry Bell toy. It looks pretty good, so if you can find one that doesn't cost an arm an a leg, that might be the best way to go.

To make one, I'd sew a plush tube (fuzzy fabric + polyester fiberfil) with a twisted up brass coathanger wire going through the center. You might need to hangers. You twist them by locking one end in a vise, and twisting them with pliers until they form a nice double helix. Use a file to round the ends of the wires, and then wrap them with a couple twists of electrical tape.

For the bell, ideally, use a real brass bell. Particularly at Christmas time, you can find them in craft stores.

For the gem, you might be able to find something of the right shape and color in the beading section of the craft store. It might be a little small. Alternatively, you can cast it using casting-craft resin. For this you need to sculpt the gem from clay, then make a mold by brushing on liquid latex, reinforcing the mold with something like air-dry clay or plaster bandage, and then pouring the resin, optionally tinted pink. A third choice is to grind one out of a piece of acrylic plastic (aka plexiglass). A Dremel rotary tool helps to rough out the shape. You need sandpaper going all the way up to 2000 grit to make the surface shiney again. Paint the clear plastic with translucent paint, or permanent marker (diluted with a bit of isopropyl alcohol if the marker is too opaque). Sculpey and Fimo both sell "transparent" clays. They're a bit cloudy, but could work for this too.

For the bow and crown thingy, you can carve it from a block of basswood (available at the hobby store) or you can sculpt it from Polymer clay (sculpey). With wood, sand the surface smooth, seal the pores of the wood with sanding-sealer or gesso (multiple coats). Optionally, paint it with a red primer (red is a recommended basecoat when painting things gold) Paint the bow gold with either spray-paint or rub-n-buff. Paint the crown thing green. Give it a day to dry before mounting the heart & bell.

If you go with polymer clay, be careful how you mount the heart and bell to the bow; under too much stress, the clay will crack and tear. Maybe do something like terminate each end of the wire with loops, pre-drill holes in the sides of the bow piece, and use wood screws to screw the loops securely in place. Then pull the fabric up around the mount and tack it down with hot-glue or carefully applied super-glue (it ruins fuzzy fabric if applied in excess).
Unread 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Alright now that I'm actually home on a computer rather than my phone I can give you a better answer to this question. (:

Alright so I have the official toy bell, so my ideas come from that. The official bell is made alot like verdatum said but it has a solid core. I've heard about people heating up a pvc pipe and then bending it to shape. That might work well for this. then I would suggest doing the crown detail. I've recently be looking into wonderflex and that might look cool. But it's super expensive. A cheaper alternative would be clay (which could crack) or craft foam. Using some careful crafting you should be able to make crown shapes and such.

Other than those changes I think what Verdatum said would work perfectly! (:
Good luck!!! (:

Here are a few on ebay (none of these are the strawberry bell but rather pudding's rings and the mew aqua rod)
[1] [2] [3]

Last edited by ichigo_m. : 11-27-2012 at 03:49 PM.
ichigo_m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Verdatum has pretty much covered all the bases. However, if you decide against the plushie route you can find those 3d foam heart shapes (http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120...pg_250x250.jpg) at most any craft store. Seems like it would be a perfect base for this project. A bit of sanding to round off the bottom, seal and hard coat it however you like, then paint and add the additional ornamentation.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

also there are styrofoam hearts like these that you could easily alter to fit
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
Millions_Knives

im going to second the foam idea based on ease and cost effectiveness
link to foam heart
shouldnt take to much work to fix up

edit:
sucks the real ones cost so much
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.

Last edited by Millions_Knives : 11-28-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Millions_Knives is online now   Reply With Quote