Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Winter Cosplays: Velvet or not?

I have a winter version of Princess Rapunzel planned for this winter's gathering in my area. The design is based off of Selinmarsou's design on DA (I got permission from her to cosplay it). The only difference is I'm going to be making it purples instead of pinks.

Now, at first, I thought I would just do the little cape thing in a velvet. In the store near me, they only have stretch velvet. I don't know how that would work since it's awfully heavy. But then I realized I don't even know what I would make the dress out of anyway. Cotton? Something heavier? Like with Belle, I always imagined her winter dress included a velvet cloak. But I never figured out what made sense for her dress.

For the cloak, I think there's a decent suiting in purple at my store, but I'm not sure how that would look. I'm kinda stumped here. I feel like cotton wouldn't hang or look right. But what's my alternative other than satin (NO!)?

Unread 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Penlowe

wool or a wool blend, maybe even flannel (if you can find a high quality one) or even corduroy would all fit the season nicely. Cotton broadcloth just screams 'summer' and just won't look right.

No, don't use stretch velvet, it'll look cheap. Suiting sounds awesome. As to the fur, you can get faux stuff that actually looks like fur as opposed to the fun fur muppet looking stuff or even go wild and get real fur, rabbit pelts are reasonably inexpensive in comparison and look great as trim.
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Ah, thank you! I'll have to take a look around and see what I can find.
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Definitely look into a wool or wool blend. And don't be afraid of "oh no but wool is scratchy!" - only certain weaves and weights are. If you're still worried, line it. If it's for winter and you really think it'll be slightly cold where you're wearing it, a lining will help keep it warm. Even if you just line the bodice and/or sleeves.

There's also linen. If you get a decent garment weight linen (not the fake linen that is essentially 100% rayon) it will flow nicely and keep you warm enough. But linen has a definite weave texture to it, which sometimes gives it a homespunny sort of look, so if you want something that looks rich and high-end, wool is a better way to go. Or just try your luck with poly fabrics, non-stretch.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Penlowe

Hmmm, I love linen, I have several pairs of linen pants I pretty much live in through the summer, but linen is definitely a summer material.
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Not if you get the right weight. My heavyweight linen hakama are comfortable in all weather (well, if you don't count the breeze that goes right up them like a skirt). I thought I'd mention it in case wool was abhorrent or out of price ranges.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I'll probably be lining it anyways since I like lining my stuff...and I get really cold really easily so I'll need the extra layer. Thank you! I'll have to check out my fabrics around town and see what I can find!