Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
TealCake

Exclamation Black Butler Lady ciel cosplay

I am commissioning the lovely lady ciel cosplay for a friend. and I was hoping someone might have a pattern i can follow. Everywhere i have looked has said lolita goth bible or fashion magazines. But i am having no luck finding anything that even remotely matches the ceil dress my friend wants. Also I was thinking chiffon is a good fabric choice....am i wrong here or is that a good choice?
TealCake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Reference for those that dont know; Please always post one in the future
http://danisaurz.weebly.com/uploads/...5_orig.jpg?419

Chiffon could work...for parts, but its really not an ideal fabric for a structured dress. Your friend will also need a hoop skirt, probably about 4-6 hoops in which you will need to fit the dress over.

There really aren't patterns out there for this. Maybe something basic to start with the underskirt (white) but not the pink, which starts as a princess seam top and ends very wide in order to make the drapes and bustle.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

What is your friend's budget? That will have a major influence on what fabric you can work with.

If she's short on cash, she should either (a) wait and save up more money, or (b) be prepared to be satisfied with using basic cotton, which can look flimsy, thin, and limp quite quickly. Avoid cheap costumey polyester satin.

If money is less of an object, there are several ways to go: a low-luster/non-gloss high-quality polyester satin ("casa satin" or duchesse satin, often found with bridal wear) would give a polished and leisure-class look. For a more sturdy garment that a character could use for everyday wear, wool suiting or poplin would be perfect. If your friend wants to splurge, you can price out some of the stronger silk fabrics.

What you go with hinges, really, upon two factors: (1) How much is your friend willing to spend, and (2) What is suitable for the character? I know nothing about the character, so it is difficult to tell whether she's a refined lady (which would use an expensive, high-quality material like silk satin), a lower class woman who is splurging after becoming suddenly part of the nouveau riche class (who would likely use cheaper but flashier fabrics), or the nicest dress in the wardrobe of a sensible, responsible, middle class woman (wool and poplin). Just some food for thought.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote