Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop > Vocaloid

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

Matryoshka = Miku & Gumi Question

So my best friend and I are going to cosplay Matryoshka Miku and Gumi, the thing is I will be making the cosplay and I wanted to ask some questions;

1) Where can I buy a good, cheap Gumi coloured wig? xD
2) What kind of fabric should I use to make Gumi's face's on her sweater?
3) How would we do the make up?
4) On Miku's sweater there is some kind of color, how would I achieve sewing that? and what kind of material would that be?
5) Also we were thinking about contacts, where could we get them?
6) Gumi's face piercings, should I do it or not? if so, how ??

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/12781676.png
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ku-d32jkdk.jpg
http://images.ados.fr/photo/31652903...2249163c43.jpg

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Pudding-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareyuNanami View Post
So my best friend and I are going to cosplay Matryoshka Miku and Gumi, the thing is I will be making the cosplay and I wanted to ask some questions;

4) On Miku's sweater there is some kind of color, how would I achieve sewing that? and what kind of material would that be?
1) How cheap we talking here? I got my Gumi wig from the old cosworx line but I think some people bought theirs off Wigfashion on ebay
2) I used felt but some people use fabric paint
3) Eyeliner.
4)Maybe ask some Miku cosplayers or just buy a similar kacket
5) Ask someone else XD I think lots of cosplayers just photoshop it in
6) Do it. Makeup or alter a regular piercing
Pudding-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Jolteh
cool guy

My friend and I are also planning on cosplaying Miku and Gumi, hopefully I could be of some assistance with what I've figured out so far.
1. You'll be hard pressed to find a good cheap wig. This is the wig I am hoping to get for my Gumi cosplay. The bangs would need to get cut to the proper length but that's simple. If you need a tutorial for how to do straight cut bangs there are some on youtube http://cgi.ebay.com/VOCALOID-GUMI-GR... em5d2cee9d57
2. I was going to look into how to use head and bond, I have no idea what it is or how to use it but I have heard it's good.
3. Put on eye makeup primer where you want the markings to go, put on your concealer and foundations, then draw on the markings with eyeliner. Liquid or gel would work best for the sharp lines.
4. I was pondering over how to do the ribbings(the lighter color at the cuffs and neck), and I honestly don't know. Maybe use some ribbed fabric and then dye it? As for the stripes I'd use white bias tape and dye it with your ribbed fabric.
5. Personally I wouldn't bother. Costume contacts have a tendency to be irritating for some peoples eyes, and you could just as easily photo manipulate the eyes after you take pictures. No one who's worth getting upset over will nitpick you if you don't have the right coloured eyes :)
6. Just like they sell fake earrings they also sell fake lip rings, so yeah go for it.
Jolteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
Dramakana26
POCKYTHEIF

[srry for only answering two ^^"]
3.)Eyeliner
5.) i dont think they make contacts like there, photoshop is the way to go ^^

Facebook
Dramakana26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
OldestAngel

xD So many matryoshka threads.

I bought my wig, which is probably darker than Gumi would be preferably, from Lohtahk on Ebay. I love it. ...^^; Though as for cheap, what is cheap in this case? I spent ~$40 or so and considered that the right price. This is the link to the wig.

I prefer the effect of fabric paint, though it does have it's drawbacks. You can see how fabric paint looks on a hoodie Here!. You can also see my wig. It's not a great shot, but it does show how flat of an effect you'd get. I used a stencil to put on the black outlines, and then freehanded the white circle of the eye and the teeth.

For Gumi, I used eyeliner. I thought it worked nicely, especially when I reapplied it for the second time wearing the costume. Depending on the effect you are going for, minimal make-up for something more natural, or I've seen some people who have suggested matching how pale they are in the song. My Miku is also using a kind of eyeliner, we're working on finding a blue one.

I've also seen Matryoshka cosplays where they went with a sort of electrical tape and adhered that to their face. It was shiny and interesting.

Do you mean variations in the main jacket itself? Or the stripes and ribbing? It would be simpler to just buy a solid colored jacket in approximately the right color, depending on how dark your wig is. My Miku went darker, I've seen Miku's with lighter jackets. It's all good.

If you wanted to sew it though, and get the exact colors, I would suggest buying a single color of fabric, darker or lighter, and then aging parts of it to achieve a variation in color. Such as, exposure to extreme light for something darker, or tea dying for something lighter. It would be interesting. xD Though I'm not sure that would hold true if you got a shinier fabric like a wind-breaker.

Cheap? No where that I've seen. In order to achieve the exact eye coloration for both Miku and Gumi, you would have to custom order contacts, and that is expensive. On the other hand, I've seen suggested just buying solid red ones for Gumi, or just going with the normal eye color... Photoshop is probably the best method.

The bandages on her lip? I wouldn't suggest piercing yourself for a costume. Mostly I've seen people simply have a sort of bandage/tape/two white stripes on her lip.
OldestAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I did a Gumi cosplay without contacts so I'll answer the ones that I can. If you want to see what mine looks like, check my gallery.

I got mine for £9 including postage from here and it is absolutely gorgeous quality: http://stores.ebay.com/Wig-Fashion
I used felt and sewed in some of the details like the dots around the eye and the circle in the eye.
I used eye liner, it stayed on suprisingly well even when I accidentally smudged it against someone it still made no difference.
6) Gumi's face piercings, should I do it or not? if so, how ?
I didn't do it, I don't really think the fact that I didn't made much difference.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Chyster
Umbrella Corp UBCS

I got mine off of ebay for only 30something with shipping included. It's good quality, but you have to cut the bangs yourself.
I would screenprint it on, or hot glue felt pieces on.
Eyeliner AND makeup sealant. Trust me, if you are doing ANYTHING in the summer, and using that much makeup, use sealant. I personally recommend Illamasqua Sealing Gel or Ben Nye Final Seal Spray.
No clue, man. Sorry, I don't sew -u-'
Just like everyone else says, they'll be expensive and custom. I HAVE seen the colors for Miku before, but you're looking at $79.99ish a pair. If you're looking just for your eyes to stand out, I'd go for a solid, unnatural color or a trippy pattern like spirals.
You can buy fake piercings really cheap. Check eBay or this shop.
Chyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Shadowpea

1. Can't really say since I never really got a Gumi wig. I ended up using a purple wig as a stand in. orz
2. I used fleece (I think), but only because that's the only fabric I had left. I used a fabric pen for the dots around the eyes. It's very fuzzy, though! Pic (sorry for quality)
3. I used eyeliner
4. I'd ask Miku cosplayers. I really have no clue.
5.The contacts are pretty expensive, so I wouldn't bother.
6. Not sure how much they cost, but I didn't do the face piercings.

Not very good answers, sorry ahaha..

Shadowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
lenkagamine02
The Uke

Ik this is old but who cares :P
If your still looking for a gumi wig Im selling a gumi wig for $30 (including shipping) or you can trade me something for it here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=299680 but idk how cheap ur talking

"Hush little Izaya, don't you cry. Don't cut your arms, don't say goodbye.
Put down the lighter, put down the knife. It may be hard, but you'll win this fight."
-Uke (me)
(This message is to Izaya Orihara)

YT: Narutoshowfan101
Deviantart: DattebayoCosplayer
Tumblr: Aloisxxxciel
Worldcosplay: Uke
lenkagamine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
OtakuAnimeX3
OtakuAnimeX3

1) I got my Gumi wig off of Ebay for $15. It's really good quality and it looks really good in photo's too!
2) I painted on the design with black/white fabric paint. It looks really good but if you still want to use fabric I would try to hot glue on the pattern.
3) I use liquid/pencil eyeliner for the face markings. I know on some websites they sell these sticker type things but I've never tried them.
4) Not sure sorry!
5) I've looked hours online for Matryoshka contacts but I can't find them anywhere. I would suggest buying a red and a green contact for Gumi, and a blue and green contact for Miku (EX one for each eye) .
6) Lots of people don't do them but if you really want to the only thing that I can think of is to take some paper clips, cut them small, and bend them into a circle shape around your lip.

Hope I helped!
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

Stand aside.

Cosplaywigs worked for me, though they're rather small.

Fabric paint.

Liquid eyeliner pen, though make sure that it's not in the same places as the foundation. It doesn't work well with it.

I have no idea how my Miku managed that. I think she used white iron-on strips.

Not a chance in hell.

I didn't, but you can get magnetic piercings in places like Claires Accessories.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote