Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Going to jump on the "yes, do it no matter what!" train because yeah, it makes photos look so much better. It is especially important if you're going to perform in the masquerade, because your face will look much better on stage with some good makeup.

I wish teenage-cosplayer-me from years back had someone to help her with makeup a long time ago! I used to only wear it for costumes that needed it because the character was clearly wearing makeup, but now I do it for all characters no matter what. Even dude cosplays!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #32
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libis View Post
I have a lot of allergies as well--have you tried Physician's Formula powder makeup? http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-...anic-wear.html

It's all I can get away with wearing as base that is in my college student budget.
If I was not so dark I would give it a try...never seen a makeup company that don't even have a dark color option..

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post

I wish teenage-cosplayer-me from years back had someone to help her with makeup a long time ago! I used to only wear it for costumes that needed it because the character was clearly wearing makeup, but now I do it for all characters no matter what. Even dude cosplays!
Yeah looking back I wish I would have known the importance of makeup when I first started. I always thought I could get away with just some powder since this character doesn't wear any makeup. Looking back at old photos I just looked....terrible. New cosplayers...please wear makeup!

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #34
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

@Rangiku

You may want to try makeup samples from Camerareadycosmetics.com. They carry brands like Ben Nye and Mehron, which are theater/professional and come in a wider range of shades than what's at the drugstore.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #35
PokiPi
Friendly Serial Killer

So being a guy...I am new to this. What should I be using and how? LOL. Something basic and inexpensive to help photos would be ideal.
PokiPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiku12 View Post
If I was not so dark I would give it a try...never seen a makeup company that don't even have a dark color option..
I have the opposite problem (I'm so pale that I need to mix white into foundation) so I can't vouch for the color palette, but Clinique is specifically formulated for sensitive skin. You might also be able to wear a lightweight mineral foundation, I know Bare Minerals has several shades of Deep for different undertones.
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

@Rangiku:

I agree with Kaligoddess about mineral makeup. It is one of my favorite everyday makeup items because it provides light coverage and doesn't feel heavy. Meow Cosmetics has three formulas, deeper shades, and sample sizes are $1.00.

@PokiPi: Here's one of my favorite YouTube gurus. For men, I would say concealer (if necessary), powder foundation, contouring if you want angles/shading/definition, and eye makeup (if necessary).
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #38
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Always wear make-up for cosplay. Always.
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I need makeup otherwise my red face is very distraction in my bright costume. lol

Honestly mineral makeup brands online was a saving grace for my uber pale skin and woman of color because very few ranges cover those spectrum till now.

Even for my male cosplays: Foundation concealer eyeliner in brown, highlight an couture (use the contour on the eyes as well) and a nude lip pencil/lipstick.

^ this is basic needed for female makeup as well, you can just bump up the eyes and colour more.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #40
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokiPi View Post
So being a guy...I am new to this. What should I be using and how? LOL. Something basic and inexpensive to help photos would be ideal.
A light coverage foundation, powder to set, and a brown eye shadow should be fine. I'd apply a thin layer of the foundation with a foundation brush. Usually I dot it on a section of my face and blend it out. If your face is on the dry side, you don't have to powder. I have extremely oily skin, so I need to set it. I use a powder puff to pat it onto my skin and then I use a big powder brush to knock off the excess. You can define your eyes and contour your face with a matte brown eye shadow or a matte bronzer. Use an angled blush brush to sculpt under your cheekbones and along your jawline and an angled eyeliner brush to lightly define your eyes. Watching youtube videos really helps with learning how to put on make up. That's how I learned mostly.

As far as products go, I usually go for full coverage foundations for oily skin. I really like L'Oreal True Match foundation. NYC makes a great translucent powder and a great matte bronzer for a couple bucks.

As for me, on a normal day, I'l wear concealer and eyeliner and call it a day. But for cosplay I go all out. Liquid and powder foundation, concealer, blush, bronzer, eyeliner, the works. I think the only beauty product I don't wear for a con is false lashes.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #41
patriciarakel

ALWAYS wear makeup when cosplaying! Even if your character doesn't look like they're wearing makeup, DO IT ANYWAYS! Makeup is about so much more than looking pretty. It helps you photograph better. With the average point-and-shoot flash camera, a person without makeup can look extremely flat. Your features get washed out. Even if all you do is add a little foundation, you're helping to minimize the glare on your face. That's why actors wear makeup on stage. It absorbs some of the light, while helping their natural features stand out. I always use a primer, foundation, concealer (green concealer if needed for redness), powder, and contouring as needed for the character. I also always curl my lashes and add mascara, at the very least put a very thin line of eyeliner on top of my lash line, and define my eye crease with some eye shadow. I always wear some sort of lipstick, even it's it's just a matte nude color. If the character has any specific makeup, I'll go ahead and do that as well. Makeup really helps your final product look a thousand times better. I still cringe looking at pictures of my first cosplays (already not so great) and remember that I didn't think makeup was necessary. Those bad cosplays could have been made just a little better by taking the time to add a little foundation, blush, or mascara.
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #42
kawaiilove
I hate homestuck

Oh I always wear make up when I cosplay. All anime characters are so flawless unless they have scars or wounds but always super nice skin. I always put on lots of makeup but not a lot of eye make up (depending on the character) But fake eye lashes and eyeliner is usually a must. But wearing foundation (a heavy one) and concealer is DEF a must.

kawaiilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #43
~Ichigo~

If your guy with uneven skin tone/pale skin then I would say go for it for cosplay photo's.
~Ichigo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #44
Kokoro
Classic.

I always wear makeup when cosplaying. It's extremely necessary. I believe that most characters that are portrayed, especially in anime and manga, are 'perfect'. They have the flawless skin, the pink lips, and undoubtedly large eyes and super long eyelashes, something that most of us don't have, as we aren't anime characters. In order to look like this, makeup is generally required to look 'perfect' like that.

I always tend to have to accentuate my eyes a lot. They're not very large, and so I always need that extra eyeliner, the fake eyelashes, the contacts, and the works. =w=

"Failures do what is tension relieving, while winners do what is goal achieving." -Dennis Waitley
Kokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #45
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

personally I think if you have really good skin you might could get by witout make up. I just started using make up about a year ago though but as flawed as my skin is I actually need it xD
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote