Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
UnseenDeath
UnseenDeath

Glueing Craft Foam Armor to Gloves

Hi all!~

I recently made a pair of gauntlets out of craft foam, sealed and painted them. I applyed them with hot glue and all the pieces fell off. I then used E6000 glue which worked well enough to keep them on for more than one use. However the glue quickly came off and parts as well. I remade the same pair of gauntlets and tried just using E6000 glue on them... Well it soaked through the gloves and adhered to my hands. (still have the missing skin to prove it) and and next impossible to keep the foam on now.

SO I am on my third rendition of these gauntlets and have black satin gloves that i am gluing the sealed and painted craft foam on to. what glue do you recommend? and the best way to apply glue without adhering it to my hands in the glove. =^_^+ thank yooouuuu~!
-katsucon 2013 (hopefully)
-ohayoocon 2013
-Shutocon 2013
-Acen 2013
-JAFAX 2013
-GoDaiKo con 2013
-Otakon 2013

Look for Tira (SCV) at all of them ^^<3
UnseenDeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

id prob glue a piece of fabric to the base of the gaunlet and them sew that fabric to the glove... OR heavy duty velcro is what a bunch of people use
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
cybernova

I'd stuff those gloves to get them to a hand shape, not put my own hand in them if I were you. That would leave you with two free hands. As for the hot glue, are you sure it was hot enough and hadn't cooled when you tried to glue the pieces? It might be that hot glue does not stick to your materials, but it might also be that it wasn't hot enough to stick. I'd retry hot glue. If it doesn't stick, it'll usually come off clean enough for you to try other methods.
cybernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

I've had the same problem before, the glue just doesn't adhere well to the fabric. I suggest either a) glue velcro to the armor and sew the other half to the glove or b) just tack the armor down onto the glove with small sewn stitch or two. The first method is a little more versatile, as you can remove the armor after for repairs or to wash the gloves.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

If you want to wash the gloves, use the velcro method. If you don't plan on washing them and want the foam permanent, you should be able to glue them.

Stuff the hand, or place a slip of cardboard inside so that you a) have 2 hands to work with, and b) you won't risk glue going all the way through the glove and gluing it shut. Worst case scenario is that it glues to the cardboard, but you can probably rip that out, and no one would be the wiser. If using hot glue, use a higher temp so that it's more liquid, and really press it in so that the glue permeates the fabric. Hot glue works by attaching to the texture of a surface: the more surface area it touches, the stronger the hold. This is also why you can peel it off smooth or cold surfaces, like glass or metal. In the case of gloves, you want it to be completely embedded in the fibers, for the maximum amount of grip.

If using e6000, keep in mind that gluing it and letting it dry isn't enough, you need to clamp it as it cures. Use weight (textbooks are good) to press the foam as it cures. You may also be able to use tight rubber bands if the portion needs to stay cylindrical. Again, you want the glue to permeate the fibers of the glove. In both cases, I'd also suggest scuffing up the glove as well as the foam, to give it more texture for the glue to grab onto. I'd also say that if you can, remove any old glue before you add new glue; you want the least amount of distance between your foam and your glove, old glue is only going to get in the way of a stronger attachment.

One last thing: Whenever gluing foam to spandex or some other stretchy material, stretch the fabric BEFORE gluing, and keep it stretched. This helps twofold: First, it can sometimes open up the fibers, allowing the glue to seep in more and provide a stronger hold. Second, it simulates how the fabric is stretched when worn. If you glued the foam to the relaxed fabric, the foam may not stretch with the fabric once you put it on, risking a partial or complete tear. I learned this a few times with my Raiden suits. Be sure to stretch it in a way that is as similar to your body as possible, so that the foam is glued as it should look when worn.

Last edited by rj_sosongco : 11-16-2012 at 02:17 PM.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
UnseenDeath
UnseenDeath

I have been using low temp hot glue so that may be my problem. I will try it on an old pair of gauntlet to works on the satin gloves. Thank you all for the help ^_^
-ohayoocon 2013
-Shutocon 2013
-Acen 2013
-JAFAX 2013
-GoDaiKo con 2013
-Otakon 2013

Unread 04-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
imatangelo

I like Fabric Tac. I use it a lot when adhering fabric to something non-fabric. It takes a bit to dry, but that stuff really makes things stick.
imatangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
squeak83uk

i used spray adhesive when i glued foam and went around the edges with hot glue just to make sure, with foam you want a lot of surface contact so it does not rip away from the foam itself,
squeak83uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
UnseenDeath
UnseenDeath

Thank you!
-ohayoocon 2013
-Shutocon 2013
-Acen 2013
-JAFAX 2013
-GoDaiKo con 2013
-Otakon 2013

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
Fireshark
Craft Foam Alchemist

I cut out discs of fun foam (about the size of quarters) and hand-stitched those into key places on the glove. Then I put glue on the foamie discs, and stuck my armor to the discs while I was wearing the glove. Worked beautifully for my uses.
A side note: you want the bottom of the armor pieces to not be painted or primed, though, because the glue will stick to the paint job, not the armor piece.
Obviously velcro lets you take it off to clean it, but I dislike the 'velcro sounds' when just bending my fingers, so I opted for a permanent solution.

Last edited by Fireshark : 04-22-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
BlacklightSora
JSECosplay

I too am going to be putting craft foam knuckle armor to fingerless gloves for my Kingdom Hearts 2 Sora cosplay and I was wondering whether or not to use glue or maybe ironing some heat and bond to it and adhering it that way? Also, will the foam break or tear when I fully wrap it around my glove?
BlacklightSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

it wont tear right away, but over time it def will. you will want to make them into the curve w darts and heat forming so it wont tear as much. but i would def glue not heat n bond. you really want to glue while "wearing them" (or having them over a mold of ur hand) just so it keeps the shape u need. ESP since it is on the knuckle area, the fabric will lie different just on the table flat than when on your hand
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
BlacklightSora
JSECosplay

How do I heat form it?
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

if u have a light heat gun it can b used. then u can form over anything to get the curves
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
BlacklightSora
JSECosplay

I don't have a heat gun. Would a blow dryer be sufficient?